Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 03:42 AM   #1

Woodbutchers?

I'm a woodworker and have a fully outfitted home shop. I'd like to do a little wood butchery while traveling but not sure what works well for traveling. Any other woodworkers out there traveling with their hobby? If so, what do you bring and how do you bring it?
Jim

Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_a_wolfe View Post
I'm a woodworker and have a fully outfitted home shop. I'd like to do a little wood butchery while traveling but not sure what works well for traveling. Any other woodworkers out there traveling with their hobby? If so, what do you bring and how do you bring it?
Jim
I only carry a 3/8 drill, a 1/2 impact tool and a Dremel tool. Fortunately the RV resort we go to near Palmetto, Florida in the winter has a nice wood working shop with all the larger bench tools.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

I'm a "woodbutcher", some of you other guys are skilled craftsmen as you've posted your work for us to see, you won't see any of mine on here.
I too carry a variety of tools o be able to fix what breaks, but can't/won't be building cabinets.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

Small Stuff

As a "Wood Butcher and Producer of Fine, Hardwood Kindling", I'm more interested in the smaller, hobby projects than building cabinets, etc. I love to make boxes and turn gifts like pens and perfume bottles. I thnk the plan is evolving. I'm thinking I have room for a midi lathe (Jet 1221 or the Nova II), a scroll saw and an assortment of accessories. I'm also thinking that this spring might be a good time for a road trip and a woodworking class with Roy Underhill or Ernie Conover to finally learn how to use the dreaded hand tools and turn towards more Neanderthal woodworking since I now have the time (and patience) required.
Jim

Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_a_wolfe View Post
As a "Wood Butcher and Producer of Fine, Hardwood Kindling", I'm more interested in the smaller, hobby projects than building cabinets, etc. I love to make boxes and turn gifts like pens and perfume bottles. I thnk the plan is evolving. I'm thinking I have room for a midi lathe (Jet 1221 or the Nova II), a scroll saw and an assortment of accessories. I'm also thinking that this spring might be a good time for a road trip and a woodworking class with Roy Underhill or Ernie Conover to finally learn how to use the dreaded hand tools and turn towards more Neanderthal woodworking since I now have the time (and patience) required.
Jim
We lost a brother-in-law a few months ago, and his brother made 3 wood urns (wife, daughter, son) for the ashes. They were incredible! I don't think I knew such a thing existed.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

I'm literally a wood butcher.

JA... I'm seriously considering a "modified" toyhauler the next go round. It would have the perfect place for all of the junk I simply can't let go.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #7

wood worker

When my wife and I retired 4 years ago, we planned on purchasing a 5th wheel to winter in the south. I am a hobbyist turned professional wood worker and entertained the idea of purchasing a 5th toy hauler and then use the garage as my shop. Think it's a great idea, especially if you're traveling a lot or renting. As a rule, I generally don't care for RV resort wood shops because of the limitations they present, the generic and often time inaccurate tools they have, plus the competing for available time slots among other woodworkers. After comparing costs of renting for 5 months versus ownership, we decided to purchase a permanent lot in a newly created RV resort in Ft. Myers and bought a residential 5th wheel. According to the resort covenants, if you wanted a shed, you had to purchase a hurricane proof pre-built shed from a specific vendor and then you could finish it to your tastes. Given that choice, we elected to add a shed to our lot and then did all the interior work myself, dedicating a portion of it to my shop. Space is limited, but I did fit a Jet midi-lathe in it and incorporated a filtered air evacuation system with A/C, etc. We maximized every bit of space and thereby even allowed space for a half bath and laundry area as well. I insulated the walls to help with cooling, but it also helps keep the noise reduction down. Lathes tend to be less noisy than saws, so we kept that in mind as not to disturb our neighbors. This will be our 5th year there and although it doesn't measure up to my wood shop at home, it does provide me an outlet to keep my skills sharp.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote