Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 02:23 AM   #81

Guy, IMO your trans temp shouldn't exceed your coolant temp as they are circulating through the same radiator plus an auxiliary trans cooler if equipped. So if your coolant runs 230 then would definitely be concerned if trans got up to/over that temp. My trans temp normally runs around 160+/- & coolant normally around 220 so I would start trying to cool down if trans temps go to or above 220.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Absolutely not. I love this place. I just like to make sure the truth is told when politics are brought up. If someone sees the need to post political views on an RV forum, someone just needs to make sure the truth is told. I, for one, see no need to talk politics on this forum, yet others seem to think it is a proper place to interject political views. FTR, my only medication is a cold beer sometimes, and an occasional, good Kentucky bourbon.
Glad I can keep your blood flowing Jerry

PS - there are no truths in politics....... and by the way:

Quote:
^Did you email President Bush about your disdain for the bailouts?
Bush isn't President anymore, you can just call him George....but who knows next round! .
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:24 AM   #83

Guy, you probably did the right thing. I tend to run a little hot in these hills around here pulling the Redwood. My trans and oil seem to be neck and neck - but I doubt they are very accurate.

My 2008 would just overheat without warning and shut down. I think something was just plain wrong with that truck. This one hasn't been that radical, but it does run a little hot towing in the hills. I just back down and let it pull a little easier.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #84
lwg

On my 2013 Ford I've hit 230-ish going over Vail Pass on the tranny temp. I believe 230 is when the aux fans kick in and that thing is LOUD on the Ford. Brought the temps down very quickly.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #85

Quote:
I just don't tend to click on the emoticons
New Year's resolution...maybe?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #86
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Guy, IMO your trans temp shouldn't exceed your coolant temp as they are circulating through the same radiator plus an auxiliary trans cooler if equipped. So if your coolant runs 230 then would definitely be concerned if trans got up to/over that temp. My trans temp normally runs around 160+/- & coolant normally around 220 so I would start trying to cool down if trans temps go to or above 220.

Danny, I think during the Colorado pull over Monarch Pass (13,300 feet), the transmission temp was at 195 degrees and the coolant temp was at 219 degrees. I just didn't have any before hand knowledge about the max temps that should be allowed. The truck seemed to be handling the pull just fine. I was just getting a little nervous about what the safe max temps were so I backed off on speed to 30 mph.

At the time, I also did not know exactly how the tow/haul mode operated and how to activate the "exhaust brake" which I subsequently and quickly (this is another story) educated myself after going down the other side of that pass. I am now really amazed at how well that exhaust brake functions.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #87
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Guy, you probably did the right thing. I tend to run a little hot in these hills around here pulling the Redwood. My trans and oil seem to be neck and neck - but I doubt they are very accurate.

My 2008 would just overheat without warning and shut down. I think something was just plain wrong with that truck. This one hasn't been that radical, but it does run a little hot towing in the hills. I just back down and let it pull a little easier.

Brad, I am glad to have subsequently learned that I have some margin beyond the temps that the truck was running at, at the time. I wasn't ready at the time and don't want to ever have to consider having a diesel engine repair or a transmission repair. I hope this truck will last me as long as I will ever need one. Can't afford to trade like all of you folks with real income!

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #88
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Brad, I am glad to have subsequently learned that I have some margin beyond the temps that the truck was running at, at the time. I wasn't ready at the time and don't want to ever have to consider having a diesel engine repair or a transmission repair. I hope this truck will last me as long as I will ever need one. Can't afford to trade like all of you folks with real income!

Guy
Unless you completely overheat the transmission typically the transmission fluid will go first. You can actually "cook" that fluid before damaging the transmission. On my 2001 Ford we always replaced the stock fluid with synthetic as it maintained its composure at higher temps. You could always tell if you went to far by pulling the trans dipstick and smelling the fluid. It will have a burned smell if you pushed it too far. At that point you may be lucky enough to just change the transmission fluid and go on.

As far as I know, all the big 3 have their transmission problems of years past worked out so they should be able to handle just about anything we throw at them (in a stock, not tuned truck).
Old 01-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
As far as I know, all the big 3 have their transmission problems of years past worked out so they should be able to handle just about anything we throw at them (in a stock, not tuned truck).
Correct...if the ECM sees inputs outside of programmed operating parameters, engines will go into "Limp" mode.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #90
Site Team

If you're worried about the transmission, the best thing you can do is change the fluid often. As Tom posted above, the computers in the newer trucks protect your engines and transmissions. I have my transmission flushed about every 25,000 miles depending on how hot the conditions are and the mountains I'm driving in.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
Come on now. If it's not a dodge then Ram it!! I have owned all three and ford in my eyes back then was a strong contender over the government made truck. I have since then owned 6 dodges and all have made improvements on top of each other. I do own a duramax with Allison dually and yes it stays at the ranch for dry roads because it can't pull itself out of a cow pie. My ram has taken me were I need it to dry, wet, or Sandy coast. To each their own but for me I will not pass up on a ram for those reasons. It's a puller with a six cylinder not a big 8 like the rest. Happy new years to all
I would agree!

I was a Ford truck man for all of my life and had some great service out of my gas burners. My first diesel was a 2004 F-350 SRW CC Lariat that have every option at the time. This was the first vehicle I have ever purchased an extended warranty. She had 27k miles on it when I purchased it for $21,000 with diesel at $4 a gallon. Retail value at time of purchase was $34,500.
Per the Oasis report the only significant problem with the truck prior to me owning it was a replaced Turbo.

The below repairs were made after purchasing the truck with 27K miles and all problems occurring prior to 100K miles. All maintenance was performed at Ford at required intervals.

Turbo
5 injectors
EGR Valve
EGR Cooler
Oil Cooler
EGR Valve
FCIM
Upper and lower ball joints
From wheel drive hubs
A number of Glow Plugs

The amazing thing with that truck was that at both dealers where I had work performed on it stated that the engines were pieces of junk!!!

When looking at fifth wheels with the wife I got tired of telling her we could not pull anything that she liked. That and the fact that the check engine light would repeatedly come on and off with either glow plug or EGR codes I decided it was time to get something else. I always thought that Ram made the best looking truck but I could not get past the fact that it was a Dodge. I had never owned a Dodge product in my life. I had a lot of difficulty in dumping the FORD to the Dodge dealer but they finally took it!

So far it has been the best decision I have ever made. I have nearly 30K miles on it with absolutely no problems other than the cheap tires they put on her. I actually get in her and hook up without any worries of what would happen next as I often felt when in the Ford.

The best compliment came from my younger brother who is a certified CAT mechanic who has also been in management over both in-house and field service mechanics for Cat for decades. He is a diehard GMC man. He stated that a Cummins is all he would own if given a choice of the big three. This was based on his experience with service trucks as I am sure he would choose a CAT if available.

So to each his own and may all have good luck with whatever you choose to own. As for me I hope this is the last truck I own. I may need bailing wire to hold the body together but I honestly believe it will still be pulling when others have went to the junk yard. As with others I do not have the money to just keep purchasing trucks at a whim and I also do not feel that it should be necessary to modify the truck to increase torque or horsepower.

If you look at most hot shotters pulling loads (cars or RV’s) they prefer a Cummins
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #92

Once upon a time I was a certified HDT Cummins tech. Guess what? I drive a Ford.

I feel your pain as far as your 6 OH NO is concerned. Fortunately, the aftermarket industry came to Ford's rescue and provided modifications that have made that particular truck a good buy in today's market. Mine was the fastest diesel I had/will ever own.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #93

Wow GA1817- that sounds like a terrible history and don't blame you a bit for changing brands. I bought a spanking new 2006 6.0 and didn't have anything close to those issues. Water pump, 1 injector, and a tech note repair on an internal oil line. Never any chassis issues. I think I had 90,000 miles on it when I traded on a used 2008. Not such a good story on that one, but it was used.

That's s good looking Dodge! But I hate labeling anything "my last" . it sounds so final!

I drove the oldest truck on here I think until a few months ago, and I had to scrape coins out of the couch cushions to get a new one. And it's not one of them fancy King Ranchers
Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #94
lwg

GA1817,
You had literally the worst Ford Diesel engine ever made I'm sorry to say. Those engines either ran fine with no issues (many had proclaimed this to actually happen) or all hell broke loose and everything went wrong as with your experience. Its easy to justify your move to Dodge after that, I think Ford lost a lot of loyal customers with that engine hence it had such a short model life. The current 6.7L has already had a longer life than those 6.0's if that tells you anything.

However, seen lots of hotshotters and my experience is they drive what they own. They usually own older trucks and I've seen everything out there. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, whatever. Usually they aren't even dually's.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #95
lwg

Quote:
Wow GA1817- that sounds like a terrible history and don't blame you a bit for changing brands. I bought a spanking new 2006 6.0 and didn't have anything close to those issues. Water pump, 1 injector, and a tech note repair on an internal oil line. Never any chassis issues. I think I had 90,000 miles on it when I traded on a used 2008. Not such a good story on that one, but it was used.

That's s good looking Dodge! But I hate labeling anything "my last" . it sounds so final!

I drove the oldest truck on here I think until a few months ago, and I had to scrape coins out of the couch cushions to get a new one. And it's not one of them fancy King Ranchers
Its funny that the oldest truck on here was a 2008. Just a testament to how far the brands have come in 6+ years.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Its funny that the oldest truck on here was a 2008. Just a testament to how far the brands have come in 6+ years.
I know - to think I dragged my Redwood home from Texas with my 2006 when I first joined the forum 2 years ago. I couldn't talk the same language as all you Ultra low sulfer burners with the massive displacements and urea tanks
Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Once upon a time I was a certified HDT Cummins tech. Guess what? I drive a Ford.

I feel your pain as far as your 6 OH NO is concerned. Fortunately, the aftermarket industry came to Ford's rescue and provided modifications that have made that particular truck a good buy in today's market. Mine was the fastest diesel I had/will ever own.
Tom,

There is a guy here in the Atlanta area who will bullet proof the engine for about 7K to 8K and give you a lifetime warranty. He is all over the internet. Unless you completely do away with the EGR, EGR and oil cooler you will still have injector problems. Buddy at work just had to replace all eight injectors on his 2003. It is a very complicated engine!
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #98
lwg

Quote:
I couldn't talk the same language as all you Ultra low sulfer burners with the massive displacements and urea tanks
Correction, "Pee Tanks"
Old 01-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #99

Ya, my mileage goes up if I fill it after a night of Jack Daniels
Old 01-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #100
Site Team

The people that tuned my truck keep trying to talk me into removing my EGR but I haven't done it. They claim the EGR valves are the worst part of these diesels.