Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #1

Poor service repair centers

I live in East Tennessee, it has been my experience that almost anything repaired here (seem like anything you can imagine) has poor workmanship, corners cut, and repairs has to be redone because they were not fixed correctly the first time. The attitude of almost everyone doing repair on anything is: "Well its good enough." I do most of my own repairs but my warranty requires my to take my RW to these people for inspections yearly. Is everyone having the same problems as me?
Tomkidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

If you are talking about the Redwood warranty - they no longer require annual inspections for the 2 year or the 2+5.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

I have to say we've been VERY fortunate traveling across this great country to find excellent services, whether it's doctor's, hospitals, auto service, & all have been top notch. I can't speak for rv services as so far ours has been to the Topeka service center once & everything else I've done myself, but our previous SOB we had good luck with mobile service techs. I agree though that now a days customer service in most places they do just enough to get you out the door.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

I am talking about the people doing the repairs themselves. It seem to me that the people repairing RVs could care less about fixing things the correct way. I bought my RW used it had less than 400 miles of towing and sat in a closed garage/ shop. It was used only as a BBQ trailer for football games then towed back to the mans house. The owner never towed it. The company I bought it from did all the repairs to the unit and sold it as new. The service department told me they inspected it thoroughly and was found to have everything in great working condition. I towed the unit home and found things not working at all. The repair center stated that the DVD player needed to be replaced and was done so prior to pick up. The service tech went in and cut all the wires for the surround sound and spliced the new in place, and none of the speakers were in there perspective place so the sound of the TV was way weird sounding. I went in and corrected the wiring and soldering all the splices incorrect phase positive positive negative for negative. A/c did not work and the furnace ducting was not working in the front bedroom. As I opened the wall (in the basement) it looked like this had been repaired multiple times with more and more screws and what seemed like a mile of cheep duct tape. My father is full time on the road in his motor home and is complaining about the same thing. What gives?
Old 10-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #5

You figured out the solution - fix it yourself.

My biggest complaint about Warranty are - you're going to get the same stuff back that went bad to begin with, and the craftsmanship of the installer or repairman is typically far less than I would tolerate doing it myself.

I hate the out of pocket expense of parts when the rig rolls out of warranty, but overall it's a relief when warranty is over because I don't have to deal with their incompetence, their schedules, or their general lack of regard for my property.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #6

Amen brother.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #7

I agree! The mobile techs hate calling for approval and twice I've had to stand over them and make them call for approval. These are Redwood certified techs. Then after repair I find things like no Teflon tape used on water pump fittings causing air leaks and loss of prime.

Mike n Vicki King
2015 Redwood 36RL
2015 Ford F350 DRW FX4
KingCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

Seem like in an industry that is hanging by a thread for both warranty and non-warranty repair makes me wonder how they manage to stay in business.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCasa View Post
I agree! The mobile techs hate calling for approval and twice I've had to stand over them and make them call for approval. These are Redwood certified techs. Then after repair I find things like no Teflon tape used on water pump fittings causing air leaks and loss of prime.
Beautiful signature pic Mike and Vicki!
Old 10-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #10

That is a very pretty picture. RW should use it.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #11

Tom, that's part of the problem, many of the manufacturers are not hanging by a thread, they can't get units built fast enough to supply the marketplace, thus the assembliers are pushed to get things out the door as fast as they can. And when you get to the Dealer level, forget about good service, once you've bought it, it's yours and most don't want to see you again.
I look at the DIY repairs this way: Even if I don't know exactly what I'm doing, it's my unit so I do it right, most of the Dealer's so called Techs, are there to get a paycheck and don't care if a repair is done right, just as long as it makes it out of their repair bay.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote