Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
Site Team

I guess I need to smell that diesel exhaust

Since I got rid of the Redwood (The Beauty) I also eliminated the F350 (The Beast) and for the last year I've had the 2015 Z71 Chevy. It's a good truck, and a good toad but.......I sure miss the F350.

I couldn't help myself and I started looking at trucks again. Ford is off the table because in order to be used as a "Toad" the truck has to have the manual transfer-case shift on the floor. The trim packages I like (leather buckets with sunroof) usually don't have this configuration. Ram on the other hand has an easy set up for towing flat. So I guess I'm looking at the Ram now. I found a 2500 Laramie mega-cab that looks pretty good in black with a little cummins under the hood. Now I just have to beat up the dealer a little and eat a little crow
Old 12-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #2

You can tow the F150! I'm thinking about that myself.

Four-wheel Drive Vehicles

You can only tow a four-wheel drive vehicle with all wheels on the ground by placing the transfer case in its neutral position and engaging the four-wheel-down towing feature. Perform the steps outlined in the following section after positioning your vehicle behind the tow vehicle and properly securing them together.

Note: Make sure you properly secure your
vehicle to the tow vehicle.

Four-wheel-down Towing

1. Put the ignition in the on position, but do not start the engine. If your vehicle has an ignition key, turn the key to on.

If your vehicle has intelligent access,

press the engine START/STOP button
once without pressing the brake pedal.

2. Press and hold the brake pedal.

3. Rotate the four-wheel drive switch to
2H.

4. Shift the transmission to position N.

5. Rotate the four-wheel drive switch

from 2H to 4L and back to 2H five
times within seven seconds.

Actually, I wonder if you can tow that Navigator as well.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #3

Dave, I have the Ram Eco, supposed to be flat towable with the neutral transfer case. Was thinking about towing it when I retire and move up to a DP.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
You can tow the F150! I'm thinking about that myself.

Four-wheel Drive Vehicles

You can only tow a four-wheel drive vehicle with all wheels on the ground by placing the transfer case in its neutral position and engaging the four-wheel-down towing feature. Perform the steps outlined in the following section after positioning your vehicle behind the tow vehicle and properly securing them together.

Note: Make sure you properly secure your
vehicle to the tow vehicle.

Four-wheel-down Towing

1. Put the ignition in the on position, but do not start the engine. If your vehicle has an ignition key, turn the key to on.

If your vehicle has intelligent access,

press the engine START/STOP button
once without pressing the brake pedal.

2. Press and hold the brake pedal.

3. Rotate the four-wheel drive switch to
2H.

4. Shift the transmission to position N.

5. Rotate the four-wheel drive switch

from 2H to 4L and back to 2H five
times within seven seconds.

Actually, I wonder if you can tow that Navigator as well.
But it has to have a manual transfer case and I can't find any F150 with the equipment I want with a manual transfer case.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
Dave, I have the Ram Eco, supposed to be flat towable with the neutral transfer case. Was thinking about towing it when I retire and move up to a DP.
I'm going to seriously look at them next week after all the Christmas presents are bought.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
But it has to have a manual transfer case and I can't find any F150 with the equipment I want with a manual transfer case.
No, you're not reading it.

It is an electronic sequence using the ignition and the ELECTRIC engagement switch for 4X4, and when done the dash lights up with "NEUTRAL TOW ENABLED". Any F150 works, regardless of KR, Lariat, etc. There is another sequence to disable it, and the message center with say "NEUTRAL TOW DISABLED".

Here is a sample manual - it is under TOWING/TOWING THE VEHICLE ON FOUR WHEELS.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_09_2014.pdf

Unfortunately, our Expedition is one of the few years that can't bet towed that way. Our transfer case has the 4A, or auto.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #7

The wife slaps me when I pout passing a nice Platinum 350
And while we still use the Jeep Wrangler (it's a fun lil runabout but rough) we started researching and I was surprised to find that our 6 seat all wheel drive, 2013 Explorer Sport can be towed four down as many of the newer AWD or 4WD fords can be... it's primarily the front wheel drive one that can't be.

BUT, I am starting to really like that cummins diesel in the rv after 20 years of Ford diesels.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
The wife slaps me when I pout passing a nice Platinum 350
And while we still use the Jeep Wrangler (it's a fun lil runabout but rough) we started researching and I was surprised to find that our 6 seat all wheel drive, 2013 Explorer Sport can be towed four down as many of the newer AWD or 4WD fords can be... it's primarily the front wheel drive one that can't be.

BUT, I am starting to really like that cummins diesel in the rv after 20 years of Ford diesels.
I hear you there! I miss seeing that big beast in the garage, and every once in a while I catch one on the highway and my heart aches. Ironically it was the highway where I hated it the most - slap-slap-slap.

That happens when I see our Redwood on the screen saver too!

But I do like the Class A life. Debating getting a new 4 dr wrangler, or keep mine and get a F150 to tow.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Brad - keep yours and get the F150.
One of the reasons I bought the Focus was that Ford approves it 4-down either manual or auto. There is a sequence you go through with the shifter and key positions and the display says "trans in tow mode". At that point you disconnect the batt positive and you're ready. Roadmasterinc makes a remote disconnect and I have the SMI wired in ahead of the disconnect solenoid with a charge line from the coach. Hit 2 switches and we're ready.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:57 AM   #10
Site Team

While Christmas shopping we drove Dodge dealership and we had to stop and look. The mega-cab is off the table because the seats won't fold, and we need a flat surface in the back seat area. We did look at a "Limited" 2500 and it was pretty nice. Shifting the transfer case is really easy compared to the chevy. Next week we'll look at them a little more but I'm not sure I want to do all the equipment swapping in the winter, besides I'm planing a trip now to TX and the Chevy really works just fine.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Brad - keep yours and get the F150.
One of the reasons I bought the Focus was that Ford approves it 4-down either manual or auto. There is a sequence you go through with the shifter and key positions and the display says "trans in tow mode". At that point you disconnect the batt positive and you're ready. Roadmasterinc makes a remote disconnect and I have the SMI wired in ahead of the disconnect solenoid with a charge line from the coach. Hit 2 switches and we're ready.
Ya, there is some merit to having a pickup again, and it might be nice to have 3 sets of wheels again, although I'm getting used to having a bay in the garage for play now that we only have 2 cars.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #12
Site Team

Pulling a truck is a real plus for us. The bed of the truck is a handy thing to have and the motor home pulls it effortlessly.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
I saw a guy pulling a Ram Dually behind his motor home last summer. I guess if he had engine problems with the MH the dually could push it.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
No, you're not reading it.

It is an electronic sequence using the ignition and the ELECTRIC engagement switch for 4X4, and when done the dash lights up with "NEUTRAL TOW ENABLED". Any F150 works, regardless of KR, Lariat, etc. There is another sequence to disable it, and the message center with say "NEUTRAL TOW DISABLED".

Here is a sample manual - it is under TOWING/TOWING THE VEHICLE ON FOUR WHEELS.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_09_2014.pdf

Unfortunately, our Expedition is one of the few years that can't bet towed that way. Our transfer case has the 4A, or auto.
Brad you're right and I was wrong. The problem I see with this setup though is the sequence. In reading on other forums, the Ford can be a bit picky and that's one of the reasons I don't like pulling the Chevy. One of the reasons I went with the GM to begin with was that there were some transmission failures being reported by the ford owners at the time due to being pulled 4 down.

With the chevy putting it in neutral isn't that bad but I do have to disconnect the negative side of the battery. It's taking it out of neutral that can be a bit cumbersome and if the steps aren't followed exactly.....it's a no go. The Ram on the other hand is very easy and the "RamBox" has my attention. Having tool boxes built into the bed of the truck is cool. I told the dealer to find me a Limited 2500 with the "rambox" and if we come together on the numbers, I might make the switch.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #15

Something to be said for having 3 Cummins rolling down the road, all drinking the same cocktail
Old 12-19-2016, 03:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
While Christmas shopping we drove Dodge dealership and we had to stop and look. The mega-cab is off the table because the seats won't fold, and we need a flat surface in the back seat area. We did look at a "Limited" 2500 and it was pretty nice. Shifting the transfer case is really easy compared to the chevy. Next week we'll look at them a little more but I'm not sure I want to do all the equipment swapping in the winter, besides I'm planing a trip now to TX and the Chevy really works just fine.
When we were truck shopping, the back seats laid flat in a mega cab. We thought that it was very nice for the dog. Also, don't forget that Nissan now has a Cummins option.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:23 AM   #17

Hey Dave , Capt Hank here , How could you jump ship !! I saw the beast 1st hand . She was a sweet ride . I like it so much I had to trade when we got back to NM.
So thanks a lot !! I can wait to see how my 16/350 drw pull's . Our Best Regards & Safe Holidays . Hank & Roxan
uscgcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 AM   #18

Rear seats in our 15 Mega Cab lay flat. It is a 2 step process to get them all the way down.

Rck
Old 12-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgcapt View Post
Hey Dave , Capt Hank here , How could you jump ship !! I saw the beast 1st hand . She was a sweet ride . I like it so much I had to trade when we got back to NM.
So thanks a lot !! I can wait to see how my 16/350 drw pull's . Our Best Regards & Safe Holidays . Hank & Roxan
Thanks Hank!

I guess I can't rule anything out at this point but I do want to get rid of my current truck. It's really silly of me to look at a diesel when I only pull a cargo trailer and the rest of the time the truck would be a sales car and a toad. I do drive a lot of mile though. This past year I put 25000 mile on it.

I do miss the Beast.....it was a fun toy
Old 12-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
Rear seats in our 15 Mega Cab lay flat. It is a 2 step process to get them all the way down.

Rck
I'll double check it again now that a few people have said that the seats do fold flat. It was -10 when we were looking at one and the salesman said they wouldn't but.....he could have been wrong.