Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

I own a 2013 36RL. The closet in the bedroom is like a sauna. The bedroom can be comfortable open the closet door and the heat almost knocks you down. Yes it has been very hot where we are. I wonder if they skimped on insulation in the front cap. Has anyone else this problem?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #2

We own a 2012 RWRE and the closet in our bedroom is also very hot when the temperature outside is hot. I don't think there is an air conditioning vent in the closet. We have found leaving the closet door open when we are parked helps cool down the closet area. To me it seems there isn't enough insulation in the front cap.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Team

When I toured the factory I noticed that they use roll insulation (bats) instead of the bead type in the nose unlike the rest of the coach. I wonder if that's the problem

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

The problem is that there is only so much room for insulation in the cap area, I'll bet there isn't room for R13 insulation at best and if you have the black and maroon paint that insulation isn't near enough to keep the heat out.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #5

Redwoods ad says R-21 in the front cap.

Lillyputz
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz
Redwoods ad says R-21 in the front cap.
Â*
Lillyputz
If you add the numbers up of a bat of R13 and a layer of the bubble foil with a vertical R value of R7 ( I'm not sure exactly whether it is R7 or R9 for vertical ) is just barely enough to make the stated R value. I can tell you that in my experience the bubble foil layer is not near as good as they say it is. It might be fine for the snowbirds but for those of us who stay behind in the cold it just adds a wind block and not much more.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

I have the Hobby Hauler and have the same problem. I keep it open except when I am sleeping. Next one I order (10 years!) I will put an air vent in the closet. I was told all RV's have the same problem.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #8

We leave our closet open as well in our 36rl. I have a thermometer in there and the temp does climb to the mid eighties when it's in the mid ninties outside. But with both ac's on it stabilizes before we go to bed. The ac's so far work very well on high and auto. By the way we also found a hot pocket over the fridge in that flat cabinet. I have proped the door open alittle to relieve the build up. We must remember that these are rv's and they do there best to keep us warm in winter and cool in summer. But during normal conditions and not the extrems we are now experiencing.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
We leave our closet open as well in our 36rl. I have a thermometer in there and the temp does climb to the mid eighties when it's in the mid ninties outside. But with both ac's on it stabilizes before we go to bed. The ac's so far work very well on high and auto. By the way we also found a hot pocket over the fridge in that flat cabinet. I have proped the door open alittle to relieve the build up. We must remember that these are rv's and they do there best to keep us warm in winter and cool in summer. But during normal conditions and not the extrems we are now experiencing.
That's true! We came to ours for the first time for a few days last night around 7PM. Even though we had all 3 vent vans set to run while we were away, you wouldn't believe the heat that had built up in this thing. It took about 2 hours to really get everything cooled down. The air conditioners were really working hard but I could feel all of the walls still omitting heat from the inside. The front closet was like an oven as was the pantry too.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #10

My DW just reminded me that the fivers around us seem to have there ac's running all the time so we must have better insulatiion. Both of ours are set at 78 and that seems to be our majic number. It took three weeks to arrive at those numbers, because lower we were freezing and above it was too hot.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Dan

We only plan on going south in the winter months sooo cooling shouldn't be a problemand our summers here are just right. There has been lots of time where we haven't needed to turned on our airconditionersfor 2 or 3 years and only need to turn on the furnace in the evening in the early spring and fall to get the chill off, yougottalove that

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #12

I have had two other 5th wheels and never had this problem and they were no where near as nice as this one. Ilove my new redwood just a few gliches. The shower leaked i fixed that. The jacks pop like crazy would like to knew how to fix them. Talked to lipport they said they were working on it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #13

We have a 36RE & our closet is really hot as well. I made the mistake of putting some cigars in there when we first got it - keeping cigars over 70 is a real bad idea. Sounds like Brian added some insulation & that helped, I just leave the door open a bit until evening, this seems to work for us. Like Dan, it rarely gets that warm up in Canada.

There was another string about the popping jacks, not sure where it was left (I don't have that problem. You might want to search it out, could be some useful info there.

Good luck,

Lawrence
Lawr&Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #14

Rut Ro, I am a little worried now after seeing these posts. This is one of the things I look for when looking at Rv's, I always feel the closet front cap wall. I did feel the front wall on a Redwood in La. and it did not feel hot to me and here I am leaving tomorrow to pick up my 38GK in Tampa at Lazydays.

I know the Open Range residential I have now does not have that problem. This same problem is the reason I did not purchase a Trilogy. I sure hope I have not made a mistake.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #15

Fred &amp; Linda,

I have a 2012 RW34SK no longer in production. My front closet gets warm in the sun and cool at night. I will have the dealer check the insulation during my annual inspection. Yes we work around this issue but all in all the Redwood is one great coach!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #16

Thank you for answering, we do leave our closet sliding door open all the time on the one Open Range, maybe that is why do not notice it. We are excited about getting it for sure. I am just hoping we don't have as many problems with this one as we did the Open Range when we took delivery. It was so bad we had to leave and come back 3 weeks later to get it. Being down here in the South it does get hot but the two A/C's on the Open Range do just fine and I hoping the two on the RW perform just as well or better.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredtp
Thank you for answering, we do leave our closet sliding door open all the time on the one Open Range, maybe that is why do not notice it. We are excited about getting it for sure. I am just hoping we don't have as many problems with this one as we did the Open Range when we took delivery. It was so bad we had to leave and come back 3 weeks later to get it. Being down here in the South it does get hot but the two A/C's on the Open Range do just fine and I hoping the two on the RW perform just as well or better.
Fred, keep your basement doors (cargo) closed and your closet doors open in the summer. This helps keep the heat from building up.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #18

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #19

When is the next Redwood Rally?? Sorry to highjack your thread.

Thanks
Rick&amp;Kerry

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Hoisman RickPull up Rally 2013 August 8th and 9th Twin Mill Campgrounds in Howe, Indiana and p of the festiviiesis a trip too he factoryso you can see how your unit was built and lots of quesions asked and answered.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote