Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 03:45 AM   #1

Finally Retiring

36 days and counting !.....New owner of our farm takes over....we hit the road with only a couple of vehicles...cargo trailer....and our RW 15 38RL....Boat is already out at the coast....waiting for us. We are so looking forward to this...the seven day a week working life style sucks !....My pre launch jobs are getting fewer (and less complicated)....I can't think of any other mods needed for our RW before we go full time.....FYI....I kept a list of all the major alterations I did to our RW....to make it "ours"...16 projects. Shows that even a fairly loaded RV always needs some work to get things personal..
We have to spend a week with the new owners to go over farm procedures ..all equipment use and maintenance....and a few days of harvest time....last week of August we are free!
Going to be a different lifestyle not worrying about the weather...finding a market for our crop....and the big one...not having to go thru another Canadian prairie winter.
I realize we will finally be putting our RW to the test...and "bugs" will appear. I don't have any doubt some things will pop up that will need attention.
I hope all my fellow RW owners are staying safe in these trying times....things will get better...hang in there everyone...Regards Wes
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

Congratulations & enjoy the full-time experience!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:15 AM   #3

Hello Everyone....we are two weeks into being retired and living full time in our RW....Here is what we have discovered so far...
First....AC's...two minimum needed if you are in very hot temps in full exposure to the sun (no shade)....they do keep things under control....I do see why some opt for the third when parked in super hot area's.
Suspension...Our original RW running gear (springs , hangers , brakes... etc)....are just barely adequate....If we were planning on moving often and distances....an upgrade would be on my list
Tanks (water works)....we have a slow leak because of the gate valve in the black tank being dirty that eventually fills the dump line from the tanks...very common failure...can be messy when its time to dump....as soon as we get settled I will install another gate valve right where this line exits the heated underbelly...this will keep fluids out of the unheated / unprotected portion of the dump line....and also give me some control of dump fluids....Thats it for now

Take care everyone
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
Old 09-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #4

Wes, we have the exact issue with our black tank, and yes several years ago installed a gate valve right after the pipe exits the drop down section. Plus our Galley valve does want to close most of the time so I just leave it open, but with the extra inline valve it's not an issue. As for the ACs I agree, we've been able to keep comfortable with just the two by pulling all the shades, yes makes it dark inside, but I'ld rather be dark and cool than bright and hot.
Enjoy retirement.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:04 AM   #5

Suspension...Our original RW running gear (springs , hangers , brakes... etc)....are just barely adequate....If we were planning on moving often and distances....an upgrade would be on my list

I did Morryde IS and disk brakes on our RL-38 ! Money well spent , I would do it again no questions asked. I had done a 17.5" tire upgrade before IS and the ride home was less bumpy and less stressful knowing I can stop!

adding a valve on the dump location is nice , I added a 3" clear extension before the valve so you can see when your cleaning out the tank and the water is clear with out a lumps. as a added bonus no real need for gloves or hand sanitizer!
Old 09-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertree View Post
Hello Everyone....we are two weeks into being retired and living full time in our RW....Here is what we have discovered so far...
First....AC's...two minimum needed if you are in very hot temps in full exposure to the sun (no shade)....they do keep things under control....I do see why some opt for the third when parked in super hot area's.
Tanks (water works)....we have a slow leak because of the gate valve in the black tank being dirty that eventually fills the dump line from the tanks...very common failure...can be messy when its time to dump....as soon as we get settled I will install another gate valve right where this line exits the heated underbelly...this will keep fluids out of the unheated / unprotected portion of the dump line....and also give me some control of dump fluids....Thats it for now

Take care everyone
Congrats on the retirement
Where on the prairies where you
Old 09-12-2020, 03:36 AM   #7

Hey Shane....Our farm (now sold) was just south of Edmonton Alberta....beside the QE2 highway....we are now on Vancouver Island at an ocean side resort 20 minutes from where our boat is moored (Ladysmith BC)...Looking forward to missing a Prairie winter....so far our RW is comfortable and roomy...we are active outdoor people so having less inside space is proving to be an easy adjustment...(we will see when it rains for 8 weeks ...LOL)
Old 09-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I know all about the winters, was born and raised in Barrhead. Been in California for 20 years so our winters have been a little warmer. We have kids in Red Deer, Blair more and Victoria. Enjoy the island
Old 09-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #9

cable tv coax puzzle

Here is also the latest...issue...Where we are staying they off cable TV...(digital cable box)....well I got the unit and tried to get things working...no way....call the office and asked if they had trouble with the equipment before...said no....so I was suspect the coax runs are a mess in our RW....upon more investigation...What a GONG show...no labeling...wires everywhere.

We have a sat system installed also (installed by others)....another GONG show...

I have a long run of video coax and ran it directly into the RW thru the front door to the digital box bypassing all the coax wiring in the trailer and everything works as it should....so...I will pick up a signal tracer today and sort it out (and label everything)...When we installed sat units at the dealer ship...it took only a few extra minutes to label feeds for future reference...its a crazy...lazy world...
Old 09-14-2020, 11:14 PM   #10

Spent hours chasing my tail over the coax routing issue....Never got a "chirp" signal thru any wire around the trailer when I hooked up the tracer to the "cable in" fitting in the wet bay....traced the coax thru the basement mechanical space before it disappeared....not sure if there is a splitter hidden somewhere....(typical RV short cuts in production)....I just never thought I would be working on my own ....LOL....Finally hooked the "cable in" coax to one of the sat TV feeds and found it was live behind the main TV....so for now I have to settle for that....Maybe whom ever installed the sat system did something to the cable in feed ?....A head scratcher for another day....atleast we can keep up with current affairs....Anyone has info on possible locations for connectors / splitters found in these units...please pass them on....
Regards
Old 09-14-2020, 11:21 PM   #11

On ours we have two Sat feeds (neither of which were labeled) and one Cable feed in the Wet Bay. The Cable Feed goes directly to the aux input of the Antenna Booster in the Bedroom. To use the cable feed the booster has to be turned off to allow that signal to pass.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:50 PM   #12

You know wes there is good fishing where you are at so you shouldn't need tv
Old 09-15-2020, 02:02 AM   #13

Thankyou for the info on the booster....I am not 100% sure I had it turned off....When I get some time I will re-test..

Shane....a happy wife is a happy life...but yes....some of the best fishing anywhere..
Old 09-15-2020, 02:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertree View Post
Thankyou for the info on the booster....I am not 100% sure I had it turned off....When I get some time I will re-test..

Shane....a happy wife is a happy life...but yes....some of the best fishing anywhere..
Instead of tv you can get her a Moby Dick book to read while out fishin