Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

I have done the search on here and was wondering how long it took to install the slim line dish your self and would you do it again? Did it get mounted off center. I see the sat. cable connection on the roof but no power cord and what about screwing it to the roof? The Slim line looks to have a big foot print and Im wondering if it hits Wood or Alum. when screwing it down? I know at the rally they said that it was framed in but where? Full timing it now and need some HD TV. So I guess were going to spent the money and get the Slim line and try to install it myself. Now that Brain is gone who do we contact now to get a print of the 36FL to install a dish on the roof and get the wiring detail? Has anyone wished they hadn’t install one on their roof and stayed with the tripod or tailgator?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
I have done the search on here and was wondering how long it took to install the slim line dish your self and would you do it again? Did it get mounted off center. I see the sat. cable connection on the roof but no power cord and what about screwing it to the roof? The Slim line looks to have a big foot print and Im wondering if it hits Wood or Alum. when screwing it down? I know at the rally they said that it was framed in but where? Full timing it now and need some HD TV. So I guess were going to spent the money and get the Slim line and try to install it myself. Now that Brain is gone who do we contact now to get a print of the 36FL to install a dish on the roof and get the wiring detail? Has anyone wished they hadn’t install one on their roof and stayed with the tripod or tailgator?
I also am considering one of these but not looking forward to the install. I hope you get a lot of helpful information for my purposes as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Dan

I too am considering a dish and will be looking forward to the information everyone provides, this will sure help in deciding which way to go

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #4

I decided to install it myself after I went to the dealer here that sells the Winegard and Redwoods and was quoted $2900 to buy it and have it installed by them. I told them that it already was prewired from the factory and they said that they still would have to run cable to both tv’s and that I would have to supply the boxes from Direct tv. The boxes are not the problem but insisting that the coach needed to have cable run to both tv’s I didn’t like to here. There must be a way that I can check that I can get a signal to both tvs from the roofs pre run cable from the factory?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Beechguyjim said that he installed his own and there's a youtube on them too.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

Chuck, Dave, Dan:

I asked my dealer to install the Winegard SK-3005 Slimline HD last year before I took delivey, but they weren't even interested!I installed mine myselfand it worked on the first shot.

I learned alot and I've done several postings on this since I installed it. Do a search on my postings for some good info.

I paid $1,300 for the dish and it took me about 3 hours. All the cabling you need is there - but I do have recommendations! I'll help you with any questions you might have - but my experience is on the RL/RE/FB/BR model.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #7

I'm going to install mine in a couple of weeks. From what I learned on this forum, the control cable is attached to one of the coax on the roof (I hope).

I did buy a cable sounder/tester at Amazon that will help me map out all the cables before I start, and actually I plan to verify them during the PDI just to make sure they go somewhere.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #8

Before you start tracing, remember that orange cables = satellite.

The control cable is taped to the RG-6 underthe rear-facingCOAX bulkhead on the roof of the RL/RE/FB/BR -but it's not long enough to reach the dish if you mount the dish equidistant fromthe A/Cs on the roof centerline (where it should be). It's about 14" too short. Just use the extra control cable that Winegard provides in the box so you can splice-in the extra length you need. Be sure and solder these.

For cable tracing, I bought a $25 multitester and a termination cap to trace the cables.Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #9

Thanks 5th! I got the 8 cap tester, but of course bought the wrong kind (bayonet) so I had to buy the F-Bayonet converters. We have the outside entertainment too so I would like to see where that comes from.

I really would like to just run our duo receiver instead of installing 3 receivers, so hopefully I can figure out how to do it in case they did home runs from each TV to the roof.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #10

It took my dealer 17 hours to install mine - I only paid for 4 hours and Redwood paid the rest due to incorrect wiring being run during the build process. I also have 3 boxes (1 for each tv) and that created additional issues as Redwood likes to use splitters in the wiring process. All in, my dealer ended up running two new cables through the inside of the rear cap from the dish on the roof to make this set up work. The only thing negative I have to say about the slim line dish is be careful in high wind/storm situations. Normal wind and breezes have no impact, but strong gusts and thunderstorms make the dish act like a sail in the wind. Wind has NOT created any issues with signal, its more of the wind trying to rip the dish off the roof. Would I have it installed again.... yes I would.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #11

Atom ant I just had an outside installed because we are in the trees and can't use roof sat. I had him check the outside connection in the right bay and it comes from the connector above the closet in the bedroom. I can remove the TV from the bedroom and use it outside by changing the connector to the one beside the connector to the bedroom (36RL).
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #12

We ordered 4 dedicated coax cables to try to avoid all of the dvr issues we have heard about. Hopefully that will help.

SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #13

Very cool, thanks Foghat.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #14

i just installed one in my gk and had done one in my previeous rl .Had no proublems at all . Any questions at all send me private message and i would be glad to answer for you.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #15

SW1117 & All:

No need to orderthe extra coax cables anymore becauseWinegard just replaced the SK-3005HD Slimline dish for DTVwith the new SK-SWM3 Slimline dish for DTV - which has the multiplexer built in. What a great upgrade!

Now, all you need is a quality splitter at the entertainment-end of the factory orange RG-6 COAX and you can connect up to 8 feeds from it. No more 2" bundle of (4) RG6 cables sticking through the roof!Edited by: 5th_Time

Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
SW1117 & All:

No need to orderthe extra coax cables anymore becauseWinegard just replaced the SK-3005HD Slimline dish for DTVwith the new SK-SWM3 Slimline dish for DTV - which has the multiplexer built in. What a great upgrade!

Now, all you need is a quality splitter at the entertainment-end of the factory orange RG-6 COAX and you can connect up to 8 feeds from it. No more 2" bundle of (4) RG6 cables sticking through the roof!
WOW! That's great....thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #17

Well I’m going to go with just the tri pod setup for right now. Hope to change that out with in 6 months. Or Ill just change out to the new SWM head.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #18

We are going to use tri-pod as well. Not sure after I have heard about the issue on the one on the roof that I want to go that was.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #19

Okay everybody, we need HELP. I'm going in for ankle surgery May 6 at Duke in NC and we have to stay here, near the hospital, for the 4 months I'll need to be in a cast with no weight on my right foot post-surgery. We moved to this campground now because I need some pre-surgery work ups. Five days after we arrived, the campground changed their TV line up and eliminated Marty's favorite channel (Fox News). His withdrawal symptoms are so extreme that we went out yesterday and bought a Winegard dome "dish" to install on the roof. He did lots of work on our stix and brix and is not at all diy handicapped, but all this is something new to us . Where does he start? He went up on the roof and he says there's a huge gob of sealant with 2 capped co-ax cables sticking out of it. Does he need to remove all the sealant (especially since the power cable is evidently connected to one of the co-axes) or just pull the cables out? Is there some sort of "cap" under there, or just a big hole? Does the dish go over this hole or cap or adjacent to it? We've got a tube of self-leveling sealant to seal any new holes he needs to make (like to screw the dish to the roof). Is there somewhere specific he needs to install the dish (there was a question here a while back about screwing into the wood roofing or into aluminum framingbut I didn't see the answer). Any and all help would be much appreciated! Thank God for this forum and all the members. You've all been such a great source of info before and since we bought our 36RL last fall!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #20

I'm anxiously waiting to hear - I start ours next week with any luck.