Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
So it looks like the average real weight is running approx 1000 Lbs more than the Brochure, but on the other hand it looks like some pin weights are coming in less which must be due to locations of some of our options. Kind of goes to show that the number published in brochures are hardly worth the paper they're printed on. No wonder folks get in trouble with more rig than their TV can handle.
Our 36RE shipping weight is 1290lbs over the base model and the pin weight is 206lbs over. but we added a lot of options.

Lillyputz
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #102

So have we, dual ACs, the big fridge, Generator, dual awning, slide toppers, king bed, "G" rated tires, Tri-Glide pin box, ceiling fan, 2 maxx fans, fire place, requested just a combo washer/dryer but don't know exactly is being installed, having the big Windgard Trav'ler dish installed, we didn't order the 40 Lb propane, but we'll be moving them from our Montana over to the 36RL as well as our 2 heavy Group 29 batteries. We probably should have gone the 8K axles, but if we don't like the ride it will be back to Elkhart to MorRyde for the upgrade to their IS System. It really makes the Montana ride smooth.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #103

Well we just survived a 3 inch rain fall with 67 MPH winds thank god our FL is still at the factory and won't leave until Monday to get here. Our Montana survived unscathed we will have to wait until morning to do a thorough look over for damage. We have trees and rock everywhere, looks like I have a lot of work to do for clean up tomorrow.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #104
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Well we just survived a 3 inch rain fall with 67 MPH winds thank god our FL is still at the factory and won't leave until Monday to get here. Our Montana survived unscathed we will have to wait until morning to do a thorough look over for damage. We have trees and rock everywhere, looks like I have a lot of work to do for clean up tomorrow.

I'm glad you came through ok on the storm. We headed home and got here at 10:30 last night because we saw this storm was coming.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #105
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
This is our first fifth wheel and I was surprised at how easy it tows. We pulled a 8500 lb travel trailer with a 1/2 ton Ram and I was always aware that the trailer was behind me. The Redwood is 6' longer and 3 tons heavier but pulls like a dream. You can forget it's back there sometimes.
We have a 2012 Ram 3500 crew cab DRW and it handles the rig just fine. We'll be getting into the Appalachian and Smokey mountains over the next few months so I'll let you know how it handles that terrain.
One place I know we won't be going is Amicalola State Park in Georgia. We took our son and his girlfriend there to start their Appalachian Trail hike and took a drive up to the campground just to check it out. The road up has some sections that are a 25% grade...yikes. The campground had some 30ish foot travel trailers but that was the longest ones I saw. If you do make it up to the campground there's a nice, tight 180 degree turn waiting for you at the end... then the ride down with 16000 pounds pushing you... no thanks

We towed ours home last night with a lot of side wind due to the approaching storms (20-30 mph) with a single rearwheel truck (2011 F350 4x4 diesel). I kept it at between 70-75 mph all the way and the trailer handled great. At one point we came up to an accident and had to shut down fast....those disk brakes ARE GREAT! Some of the times the winds were hitting me head on and other times it was hitting my right side. The trailer tracks great and I really didn't have to fight it at all. Also... the backing up of the 36RL is very predictable and easy.
Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #106

"We towed ours home last night with a lot of side wind due to the approaching storms (20-30 mph) with a single rear wheel truck (2011 F350 4x4 diesel). I kept it at between 70-75 mph all the way and the trailer handled great. At one point we came up to an accident and had to shut down fast....those disk brakes ARE GREAT! Some of the times the winds were hitting me head on and other times it was hitting my right side. The trailer tracks great and I really didn't have to fight it at all. Also... the backing up of the 36RL is very predictable and easy."

So how did the disk brakes and your truck get along together? What kind of fuel mileage did you average?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #107
Site Team

Quote:
"We towed ours home last night with a lot of side wind due to the approaching storms (20-30 mph) with a single rear wheel truck (2011 F350 4x4 diesel). I kept it at between 70-75 mph all the way and the trailer handled great. At one point we came up to an accident and had to shut down fast....those disk brakes ARE GREAT! Some of the times the winds were hitting me head on and other times it was hitting my right side. The trailer tracks great and I really didn't have to fight it at all. Also... the backing up of the 36RL is very predictable and easy."

So how did the disk brakes and your truck get along together? What kind of fuel mileage did you average?

I was overly joyed with the unit and the truck together. Running with the heavy wind and tooling between 70-75 down the road I was still getting 10-11 mpg (real numbers) The disk braks were flawless! The harder I pushed the more they clamped down.....good and straight without any noise at all. I had to stand on the brakes while going 75 mph when I came up to a reck. I checked my mirrors thinking I was going to have to find a whole in the lane next to me but to my surprise the whole rig stopped like I wasn't pulling a trailer at all. VERY SHOCKING. I did have my brake controler turned up to 10.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #108

So you can feel the difference with the disc brakes. That's good I was wondering about that.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #109
Site Team

You won't believe it
Old 04-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #110

I'll find out in a couple days

Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #111
Site Team

Yea...but you won't want to have your's sitting around like the Montana. These babies are made to pull
Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #112

That's why I bought it. We have some miles to put on this rig

Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #113
Dan

Quote:
That's why I bought it. We have some miles to put on this rig

That is our plan too, andthatis why weorderedthe brakes and tires. The only place we will not take it is to Alaska I have a Big foot truck camper we will use for that trip. The Truck camper is great for short trips like down theoregoncoast it is sooo easy to get anywhere.

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #114

Dan I lived in Alaska several years ago and it is beautiful up there, I think you code stay there and travel for a year and not even scratch the surface on what the is to see.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #115
Dan

Quote:
Dan I lived in Alaska several years ago and it is beautiful up there, I think you code stay there and travel for a year and not even scratch the surface on what the is to see.

My next doorneighbourtook a motor home towing a car and bent the frame on the car. He was there for a couple of months and had a wonderful time

Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #116

How did he bend the frame on the car?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #117
Dan

Quote:
How did he bend the frame on the car?

Apparently he was going over a VERY rough road and the hitchfetchedup some how, he said he heard a big thump and when he stopped he could tell the frame was bent, it was aJapanesecar. But like he says he had a great time anyway

Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #118

If you have the time it will be a trip to remember for a lifetime.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #119
Dan

Quote:
If you have the time it will be a trip to remember for a lifetime.

Ya just got to make time as it is in short supply as well as fast. Like my grandfather used to say "when your my age it seem like there is only mondayWednesdayand friday"

Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #120

The DW and I are planning to be in Alaska next summer. This years is eastern US... next year is western with a month in Alaska... fingers crossed.
Bryan, I may be picking your brain when we get close to our Alaska launch.

It would be great if we could a get a Redwood caravan heading up the Al-Can.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote