Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Traveling

Use Furnace and HP Together!

I posted this on the other forum, but I will repeat it here because it might be kind of awesome. I don't know if anyone else has tried this or not and it's only for those of us with two heat pumps, or at least separate from the furnace.

I decided to try and experiment with the heat because we re having a cold snap (upper 20s at night, low 30's day)

I have the Furnace turned on and set to 66 degrees. I have the forward heat pump ALSO on, set to 70 degrees.

This allows the furnace to turn on if the room temp drops to "too cold for " without having to wait for the lapse in heat pump efficiency of about 8-10 degrees. The heatpump continues to run ineffectually (just circulating air, but not heating it) while the furnace (and fireplace) bring the temp up as needed until the outside air warms.

I like that it is passive. It minimizes furnace use (I don't have to keep turning the furnace on and off) and works when I am not home.

I am still experimenting, but so far, it's working GREAT. Just FYI

If that changes, I will update here.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote