Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Site Team

I pulled into a camp ground in Tampa Florida and there's a few Redwoods here but I haven't had a chance to meet them yet. Is there anybody on this forum staying at the "Bay Bayou"?

I drove though 4 different RV parks in this area and it's sure disappointing to see how junky they are. This one seems pretty nice.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Papa Stu
Dave, found the web site for Bay Bayou and their prices. Would you comment about value and if in your travels, the price is average or above? I am thousands of miles from your location and would a moment of your time to chat about what you look for when on the road? I am just learning that many parks will deny your overnight stay if your package is "older"?
This new lifestyle has a huge learning curve attached to it.
Regards, Stu.
Papa Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #3

Florida is full of camping areas, good and bad. It is mainly a Winter haven for snowbirds. I'm one.

We stay at an RV Resort (Chassa Oaks) in Homossassa. It's approximately an hour north of Tampa on Route 19. We've hooked up for next year, also.

We've been down in past years looking at different camping areas on the West Coast from Fort Meyers to Crystal River. We mainly looked on the west side of 19. We ventured a little bit on the east side of 19 and in land to no avale.

Most camping areas are older and were never intended for a 40' +/- rig. Big rig friendly places are hard to find. They are out there. State parks can accomodate big rigs, also.

Next year we're going to venture down to the keys for a week or two. It's alittle warmer weather and my wife and may consumealcoholic beverages while we're there.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #4

Dave, so you are in Tampa staying at Bay Bayou? How long? Sam leave on a cruise to Bermuda the 13th and return on the 20th. Send us a private note and perhaps we can get together.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

I am heading to Florida for a few weeks in May staying in Sarasota at Sun & Fun campground for a 5 nights it looked like a nice place then over to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo then down to Key West at Boyd's Key West Campground may go over to Key West Naval Air Station, Key West, FL for a few nights. Then headed back north and not sure where we are staying on the trip back to Va still looking for that have to stay location. So if anyone knows of some have to see places along 95 let me know.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Stu
Dave, found the web site for Bay Bayou and their prices. Would you comment about value and if in your travels, the price is average or above? I am thousands of miles from your location and would a moment of your time to chat about what you look for when on the road? I am just learning that many parks will deny your overnight stay if your package is "older"?
Regards, Stu.
The prices here are above average but it seems to be a clean friendly place. I drove through 3 other parks in this area and I wouldn't stay at them on a bet. Some of the places turn out to be more trailer trash than camping. While traveling on the road where we just need a good nights sleep we usually spend between $30-35 a night (full hook-ups). We're going to meet some folks at a real fancy campground on the beach in Pensacola that suppose to cost $100 a night. So the prices can really vary.

Don't always believe pictures on the internet either. About 4 years ago we pulled up to a place in Mississippi, that boasted about their clean laundry facility and they had a picture of a pond with flowers on a trail leading to it. The laundry facility was a dirty room attached to an old gas station. The picture of the pond was carefully taken in such an angle that you couldn't see the junked semi trailers around it. Yet this same place ended up being pleasurable because of who our fellow campers were. As I was trying to turn around in the dark (to get the hell out of there), 3 guys came up to my truck while I reached for my gun. They tuned out to be a bunch of vets that had been displace by hurricane Katrina. The first guy at my window was a Sargent Major "Mike" who looked after this band of old vets from Vietnam. Mike said " I know we look rough but we'll do you and your wife no harm". The guys told me when Mike wasn't around that he was a war hero with multiple purple hearts and was in some history books because of a special group he led. One thing was for sure, he was respected more than any man I've ever met.

Some of the best stays to me are in state or national parks. At these you don't have to worry about mobile homes and cars on blocks. One thing that always holds true though, the memories that we've had over the years of camping have been priceless. There's always those that bring a smile to our faces and a few where we've just shake our heads a laugh. It's all good
Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #7

Larry, they're not "have to see places", but driving up I-95, you can hit Lakewood &/or Ocean Lakes at Myrtle Beach which are nicely run & right on the ocean.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Regards, Stu.
Papa Stu,

private message me and I'll be happy to answer any and all of your questions.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Papa Stu
Thanks for your quick response. It's evening here on the "left" coast, perfect sunshine...BUT.. still it's British Columbia.
Another moment please, Dave.
From departure to arrival on this latest trip...diesel cost per gallon, please. As stated earlier, we are miles apart and here today, $1.31.90/liter. Our liter/your quart...4 per gallon?
Washington state and Fred Meyer $3.89.00/gallon.
How about Florida?
Key west is at the top of the list, for us. Find me a great campground, please. Stu.
Papa Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for your quick response. It's evening here on the "left" coast, perfect sunshine...BUT.. still it's British Columbia.
From departure to arrival on this latest trip...diesel cost per gallon, please. As stated earlier, we are miles apart and here today, $1.31.90/liter. Our liter/your quart...4 per gallon?
How about Florida?
Key west is at the top of the list, for us. Find me a great campground, please. Stu.
Make sure you join the Good Sams and get their fuel discounts at the Pilot/FlyJ truck stops. This will save some money (I believe 10 cents a gallon). Fuel prices will vary greatly but on this trip I've usually spent between $3.85-$4.00 per gallon. There maybe others on this site that can help you better with Key West but I'll try.

Just try to remember...don't worry about the little stuff and enjoy the experiences. Don't forget to laugh at yourself every now and then too.

Happy Trails
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Larry, they're not "have to see places", but driving up I-95, you can hit Lakewood &/or Ocean Lakes at Myrtle Beach which are nicely run & right on the ocean.
Thanks
Yes I have stayed at Ocean Lakes before I like that one the best at Myrtle Beach, have always had nice people around me and the workers have been very friendly their also.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for your quick Â*response. It's evening here on the "left" coast, perfect sunshine...BUT.. still it's British Columbia.
How about Florida?

If you want to check out the fuel prices I use gas buddy and have found it to be helpful I use it to figure how much my trip is going to cost me in fuel.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #13

We stayed at Briarcliffe RV Resort in Myrtle Beach, nice place, very clean and the folks were very friendly. Highly recommend that resort.