Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
Traveling

Project: RL Bed Frame Improvement

While we had the bed torn apart to re-engineer the washer hoses underneath, we made a slight change to the bed frame that made a big difference: We have the metal bed frame with the slats. We unscrewed the frame and slide it away from the "headboard" a few inches and then re-secured it. There is plenty of clearance when the slide is in before it would hit the dresser. This made an awesome improvement to the mattress support when you sit on the end of the bed. Couldn't do it before, the mattress would drop you on the floor because it was unsupported underneath. Much easier putting my socks on!! LOL! Just in case that drives anyone else crazy!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

Great idea, will have to do that, tired of falling off the bed when putting my socks on.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #3

I'm sure there's a good joke here somewhere.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Traveling

There sure was, and that's why we moved the bed frame down!! ;-)
Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

Great idea! Have you already checked clearance with the slides in? I'm sure its fine, as I don't remember the slides having to crunch up the mattress.

Spring is getting busy already.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

We went a step further. Since we have a SleepNumber, we completely removed the European Box Spring setup and installed new laun in it's place. We also lenghten it to provide more support at the end of the mattress.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Great idea! Have you already checked clearance with the slides in? I'm sure its fine, as I don't remember the slides having to crunch up the mattress.

Spring is getting busy already.
Yes, there is still several inches of clearance in front of the bedframe. It's sooo much better
Old 11-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We went a step further. Since we have a SleepNumber, we completely removed the European Box Spring setup and installed new laun in it's place. We also lenghten it to provide more support at the end of the mattress.
I can't really figure out why they made the frame so "short" but I am sure there is a reason. Maybe there are models where clearance is a problem.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #9

I wonder if the double slide units like DRV require the shorter bed, so they catered to all
Old 11-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I wonder if the double slide units like DRV require the shorter bed, so they catered to all
Yes, that makes sense. The Redwood has such a BIG BEDROOM that we can have a BIG BED!! Yay!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #11

While we're talking Bedrooms. We looked at a new 39MB the other day and noticed that the Bedroom slide is bigger, I mean it extends out further, not a slide-in-a-slide. Ours is a 24" extension same as the Kitchen/Entertainment slide. This new MB was approx 32 to 36" extension, thus giving much more room at the foot of the bed.
Floor plans on the RW site don't show this change and wondering if it's being done on all front bedroom units vs the slide-in-a-slide. Anyone have any inside scoop??
We're debating on possibly moving to a 38RL or 39MB with the 1/2 bath delete, but that would mean climbing over the bed to get to the bathroom while on the road.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Traveling

AND you can get slide-in-a-slide on the MB! (as long as you get a queen bed). I have to admit.... I am teased into looking at it. Don't ask me why, there is no way we could trade up... or maybe we could... NO! Maybe.... NO!!!! I would DIE to have a big pantry! I just took a photo of a new RE at a show the other day. I didn't measure it....

Looks the same to me. Maybe its just on the MB?
GOOD POINT about climbing over the bed to get to the bathroom. Might be a deal breaker.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
Site Team

The slide in the MB is a "super slide" which is the same size as the slide in the RL on the dining side. The MB is a beautiful coach but they need to extend it one foot so the pantry can be the same size as the RL. I like the idea of the bath and a half. The older we get the more that can come into play.

The MB also doesn't have any moving water or drain pipes while retracting the slides. I am also a little concerned about where the fresh water tank is. I prefer it being toward the pin.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #14
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
While we had the bed torn apart to re-engineer the washer hoses underneath, we made a slight change to the bed frame that made a big difference: We have the metal bed frame with the slats. We unscrewed the frame and slide it away from the "headboard" a few inches and then re-secured it. There is plenty of clearance when the slide is in before it would hit the dresser. This made an awesome improvement to the mattress support when you sit on the end of the bed. Couldn't do it before, the mattress would drop you on the floor because it was unsupported underneath. Much easier putting my socks on!! LOL! Just in case that drives anyone else crazy!!
The other option, which I prefer, is to keep your rig where you don't need socks

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 AM   #15

I noticed that right after we bought ours - the bedroom slides with the W/D do not got out as far as the ones without, so we get a little ripped on the floorspace at the foot of the bed. I think the slide is limited because of the weight on the W/D.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #16

Quote:
I can't really figure out why they made the frame so "short" but I am sure there is a reason. Maybe there are models where clearance is a problem.
Theresa - the FL's have slides on each side of the coach and when closed the end of the bed actually closes into the cupboards on the opposing slide. The tolerance is minimal so we are unable to make any changes to the mattress thickness or frame.

Although we use a 2" topper we have to fold it up to the head of the bed before closing the slides.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #17

No problem with putting our socks on
We have gramma's blanket chest at the foot our bed. (It actually contains blankets! not more shoes)
We lucked out and it is the perfect height. When closing slide, we move it in front of the closet
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #18

Quote:
WOW, a Norco Cable Slide system and a Schwintek Slide System !!!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #19
Traveling

We certainly will have a "Pants and Socks burning party" in 3 years when we retire!!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Theresa - the FL's have slides on each side of the coach and when closed the end of the bed actually closes into the cupboards on the opposing slide. The tolerance is minimal so we are unable to make any changes to the mattress thickness or frame.

Although we use a 2" topper we have to fold it up to the head of the bed before closing the slides.
Andy...wouldn't we be able to extend the frame? As long as you don't extend it to the edge of the mattress, I would think everything would be o.k. The mattress doesn't fold as it enters the cupboard/recess.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote