Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #1

Portable Smoker

My BBQ fetish is being satisfied. New Traeger Portable pellet smoker is fired up and the first rack of ribs is smoking now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Traeger.JPG (134.2 KB, 23 views)

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
My BBQ fetish is being satisfied. New Traeger Portable pellet smoker is fired up and the first rack of ribs is smoking now.

Titan Guy.........better be careful. You have a lot of friends in a hurry!!

The smoker looks like it't mounted on pull out rack. I assume your pin box clears okay?

Anyway.....very nice idea.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:11 AM   #3

Guy, you are right, the first rack of ribs drew New Redwood owners from Wa.

I used a Mor/ryde battery tray. It's 24x24 and the smoker is 20"W x 18"D x 13"H so it fits nicely to the side of my V tail gate. Total Height with the battery rack is 16".

Ron & Margaret
Old 10-26-2014, 04:13 AM   #4

We have the Traeger Junior. It has revolutionized our outdoor BBQing. We added the tailgating wheels in place of the legs and now it just rolls into our basement when we travel and rolls back out onto one of those white 4 foot outdoor tables when we get where we are going to stay for a while.

Love, love our Traeger!!

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #5

Should be plenty of clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Traeger 1.JPG (113.9 KB, 10 views)

Ron & Margaret
Old 10-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Very nice! I can smell those ribs cooking in CO now!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #7

How many hours can you cook w/o refueling - could you do a brisket (10+ hrs) unattended?

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #8

I think I will need to refuel for brisket. My first ribs were 5 hrs+ and did refuel but I did not fill the hopper. I am guessing about 5 hours on smoke. The larger units may have larger hoppers, not sure.

Ron & Margaret
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #9

That looks great, I love my Traeger Mini @ home. Want to get one for the road
Old 10-29-2014, 03:45 AM   #10

This smoker is amazing. Perfect smoked turkey breast. This $300 Treager turns an amateur like me into a BBQ genius.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQ Turkey.JPG (156.0 KB, 6 views)

Ron & Margaret
Old 10-29-2014, 05:42 AM   #11

Oh man does that look delicious!!! Where are you camped??
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
This smoker is amazing. Perfect smoked turkey breast. This $300 Treager turns an amateur like me into a BBQ genius.
Titan Guy,

WOW!!! That looks good enough to eat!! Do you have any left over for sandwiches? Where are you located? We can be there in less 5 days!!

hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
hey Titan Guy,

I am in the process of purchasing a PTG+ ....the question I have before I put it to its paces is what exactly have you tried on yours what can it candle and what cant it handle. and is it a type to where it takes a while to cook something or is it decent on time. My portable coleman just bit the dust finally after 5 years and I thought it was time to spend the money on a good unit and after reading your reviews traeger intrigued me to go that direction and yes its sacriledge for a Texan to use a pellet pooper but when your traveling I think it would come in handy to turn it on and let it do its magic and not keep checking to make sure its not burning everything you put on it.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #14

They have an upgrade thermostat, digital temperature control $100 that makes the high and low temp control more consistent. Get a good internal remote meat thermometer so you can walk away and not open the lid.
I can't think of anything you can't cook. Just finished prime rib. So far Ribs, tri tip, brisket, rump roast burgers, steaks, turkey

Ron & Margaret
Old 06-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
They have an upgrade thermostat, digital temperature control $100 that makes the high and low temp control more consistent. Get a good internal remote meat thermometer so you can walk away and not open the lid.
I can't think of anything you can't cook. Just finished prime rib. So far Ribs, tri tip, brisket, rump roast burgers, steaks, turkey
They are awesome, great advice above^^^^ cooking times are good I'd say maybe a little slow if you are trying to grill steaks but what I do is preheat and you are all set. Play with types of wood for unique flavors. If I'm doing a long cook and don't want to open I always add a pan of water to keep the air moist. You will love it! Nothing you can't cook and some really great recipes out there.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #16

ok with al that being said from blue dogs and titan guy I have two questions now... any internal temp you recommend or stick with traegers and have you used their remote version two is since the one I am going to get is the PTG plus which comes with the digital thermostat setup but as blue dog recommends using a pan of water but the grill on the ptg is pretty small cant cook anything big if that goes in correct? or am I missing something or do without for this smaller style.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #17

Here is a great page with tons of smoking meat info, I subscribe to their news letter and get lots of tips here. Smoking Meat - The Complete How to Smoke Meat Guide I use this meat thermometer, connects through my phone so I always have it and don't need to carry anything extra to monitor iGrill mini Features | iDevices Connected App. I think with the PTG plus (don't have it) you will find the height of the lid will limit the size of meat you can cook anyway. What I would do is get a spray bottle and spray your meats really well a time or two. I use a 50/50 mix of water and apple juice no sugar. You also could get a small metal cup and set it in a corner. I think I'd opt for the spray method. I only use the pan for longer cooks on bigger meats.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
Here is a great page with tons of smoking meat info, I subscribe to their news letter and get lots of tips here. Smoking Meat - The Complete How to Smoke Meat Guide I use this meat thermometer, connects through my phone so I always have it and don't need to carry anything extra to monitor iGrill mini Features | iDevices Connected App. I think with the PTG plus (don't have it) you will find the height of the lid will limit the size of meat you can cook anyway. What I would do is get a spray bottle and spray your meats really well a time or two. I use a 50/50 mix of water and apple juice no sugar. You also could get a small metal cup and set it in a corner. I think I'd opt for the spray method. I only use the pan for longer cooks on bigger meats.
Thanks blue dogs. I just ordered the igrill2. The info was great from both of you guys and I'm heading towards the traeger direction as well. If this little grill performs like it states. I might have to bite the bullet and get a larger version for the house as well. Smoke on and will post when I get this thing up and running.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #19

.I have the PTG (with digital controller, Traeger tech said PTG won't work well without it) and lil Tex elite. My DW is in love with anything cooked on Traegers. One thing about the PTG, it requires relatively constant attention, since the pellet hopper is not very large and the pellets don't "drain" down to the augur well. If you don't help it the augur runs out of pellets and grilling session is over. If you're there to help it, no problem. Also longer hi temp cooking exhausts the pellet hopper so you may need to add pellets before your session is over. Other than that, the PTG goes everywhere with us.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
.I have the PTG (with digital controller, Traeger tech said PTG won't work well without it) and lil Tex elite. My DW is in love with anything cooked on Traegers. One thing about the PTG, it requires relatively constant attention, since the pellet hopper is not very large and the pellets don't "drain" down to the augur well. If you don't help it the augur runs out of pellets and grilling session is over. If you're there to help it, no problem. Also longer hi temp cooking exhausts the pellet hopper so you may need to add pellets before your session is over. Other than that, the PTG goes everywhere with us.
So how long before you need to add more pellets. At smoking rate versus high temp for something like steaks.