Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 04:46 AM   #1

Hi Folks! I posted this under Redwood RV Product, but not sure where it should go ...
I am fairly new to RVing, and this will be my first & probably last unit. I plan on traveling and living in it full time for the next few years. One of the BIG appeals to me in RVing is the "camping", outdoorsy camaraderie - which means getting OUT of your trailer - and to me, usually means grilling or eating outside.

Sooooo . . . a big deal to me was looking for a unit that had an outdoor kitchen option.

On the Redwood site in their picture gallery, pictures number 13, 14, 15 picture an "Ultimate BBQ" outdoor kitchen module, but I do not see any other reference to it in any of their floorplans or anywhere else on the site (that I can find). And ... it is not mentioned on the Standards or Options lists.

What's the buzz on that? Looks like it is a portable unit - is it stowable? Is it even available?

Anybody got any info on that?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #2

I have seen the photos you mentioned but have not seen any other info at all about it. Start by speaking to your dealer and if they have no info cantact Redwood.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #3

Hi Kat
Well I had an out door kitchen on my Outback Sydney. Hardly ever used it. Buy a small BBQ that you can store and a Redwood. Out side kitchens take up space inside the coach.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

Kathryn - I too upgraded from an Outback to the Redwood. My Outback did have a two burner cook top and small outside sink. I tend to cook outside more often than inside. So I've always carried a portable table top grill. You can get portable freestanding grills as well. For the Redwood setup I did go out an purchased a two burner propane stove and a griddle. They do make after market stoves that can be either attached to the side of your trailer or can be mounted off the hitch receiver. I personally did not have any plans to mount stove brackets on the side of the Redwood. I do not have the stomach to drill into the sides of the Redwood and I would not want issue with heat as well. So my recommendation is to look at table top, freestanding and hitch receiver options. You will have to decide if you need a stove and a grill. There are a couple of grill/stove combination products on the market but you sacrifice both the stove burner space and the grill space.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

The response I got from the dealer that the picture is a prototype and is not in production. They threw out a price of 5K. I said no thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRider
The response I got from the dealer that the picture is a prototype and is not in production. They threw out a price of 5K. I said no thanks!

WOW!!!!! Must be made of gold!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRider

WOW!!!!! Must be made of gold!

Better come with a cute cook with a short apronfor that price
Old 04-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

My 36FL came with a outdoor BBQ. It is a Green Egg with stainless steel cabinet. Mine is being delivered within 2 weeks. I saw one at the Tampa, FL RV show, wow!!. It connects on the 2 in receiver. As for outdoor cooking, I have a stainless steel BBQ grill, a gas 2 burner cook top and a table that I purchased at Camping World that supports the grill, holds all utensils, has a paper towel holder and a gas lantern holder and a place for my 2 burner gas cooktop. I hardly ever cook inside. I also have a portable ice maker (in addition to the ice maker in the refrigerator) that I set up outside (you never can have enough ice!!). So the general plan is start cooking, have a drink, and people usually show up.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #9

My 36FL came with a outdoor BBQ. It is a Green Egg with stainless steel cabinet. Mine is being delivered within 2 weeks. I saw one at the Tampa, FL RV show, wow!!. It connects on the 2 in receiver. As for outdoor cooking, I have a stainless steel BBQ grill, a gas 2 burner cook top and a table that I purchased at Camping World that supports the grill, holds all utensils, has a paper towel holder and a gas lantern holder and a place for my 2 burner gas cooktop. I hardly ever cook inside. I also have a portable ice maker (in addition to the ice maker in the refrigerator) that I set up outside (you never can have enough ice!!). So the general plan is start cooking, have a drink, and people usually show up. I am anxious to get the egg and start cooking with that unit!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

I myself carry a big smoker to smoke all of my meats and once I start the fire in the fire box its amazing how many friends I suddenly have

Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #11

Is it set up to attach to the rear of the camper when traveling? Do you remember what the cost was? I am suppose to be getting delivery of the new Hobby Hauler this weekend. When I ordered the unit in December they stated that they were still in prototype production and didn't have any specs at that time but it was made to ride on the back of the RV which wouldn't work with the Hobby Hauler.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #12

as far as I know they are not making the outside grill at all.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #13

we are picking up our green egg bbq on 16 april from our dealer, lazydays. will take pictures and post them if i ever figure out how to post pictures to this forum
Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #14

We were at LazyDays last saturday and the 39HH that was there for us to look at had the outside BQ in the garage with the mount for the hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #15

We always cook outside on a stand alone table and the thought of placing a hot device close to my unit makes my walley vibrate. Danger Will Robinson. Sometimes things go wrong and if a flairup occurs and you are inside getting more munchies you could have problem. Plus the smoke aways leaves it's mark.
Just a thought.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #16

The outdoor egg option only stows at the rear bumper but comes out via a roll away cart that pins to the trailer hitch attachment via 4 pins. When in use, you roll it were you want it. When ready to go you pin itt to the lift and raise it via the hitch mounted lift. Also a neat trick if you want to remove the hitch lift from the coach is to lower the lift until it makes contact with the ground and unpin it from the coach. The just put a 2 wheeler under it and roll it around.

benstefa1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #17

we are picking ours up on 16th of Apr, thanks for the info on hookup and ease of operation