Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 02:01 AM   #1

Off to the Factory I go

We are off to the Factory for the some warranty repairs - plus I am needing a "road trip". So for, they all seem to be very nice folks up there. Looking forward to the factory tour next week as well. Seems they might need the unit for 3 days vs my dealer needing it for 2-3 months. We are also looking forward to checking out the area (wish we could be there in Aug for the Rally) since I work in an Air Conditioning business in southwest Texas, no way to get off in the summer. Hope the weather is nice enough next week - I know its snowing today... I will give a report once we get back about the whole experience up there.
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 830hvacman View Post
We are off to the Factory for the some warranty repairs - plus I am needing a "road trip". So for, they all seem to be very nice folks up there. Looking forward to the factory tour next week as well. Seems they might need the unit for 3 days vs my dealer needing it for 2-3 months. We are also looking forward to checking out the area (wish we could be there in Aug for the Rally) since I work in an Air Conditioning business in southwest Texas, no way to get off in the summer. Hope the weather is nice enough next week - I know its snowing today... I will give a report once we get back about the whole experience up there.
You will be very satisfied with their work at the service center. All are professional and dedicated to resolving any issues you are having. Hope the weather holds out for the trip.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:46 AM   #3

Headed for Factory in April Too!

We are taking ours to the factory in April also, warranty issue with cracked Gel Coat on rear of trailer. So far our contact with the factory has been very good, much better than our dealer.

Are you taking it to the main factory in Topeka, or is there another location you are going to?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:00 AM   #4

I believe there is only one service center in Topeka. It is relatively new. I have been to the old one back in 2014 and they were great!!! The one you will be going to is much larger and newer.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:15 AM   #5

I have made the trip to the new service center in October and again in December and excellent facility. Everyone I met there were very professional and do everything they can to make you feel welcome. Willing to go over and explain what they will do to correct the problems you are having. I listed my issues in another thread on here somewhere. I met with Gary and Troy and have nothing but good feedback for them. When I headed back to pick my rig up I had a new truck that I had not towed the RW with and they let me know on the phone that if any adjustments were needed they would get me on the road and not to worry. They also had me inspect all work that they had done to make sure I was happy with the repairs.

Steve
Old 02-25-2016, 05:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT & BT View Post
We are taking ours to the factory in April also, warranty issue with cracked Gel Coat on rear of trailer. So far our contact with the factory has been very good, much better than our dealer.

Are you taking it to the main factory in Topeka, or is there another location you are going to?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Yes, we are going to the new place in Topeka on Hawpatch Dr. Google Maps street view only shows the front part of the building, where as earth view shows the new addition added to the back side. Good luck with your repairs!
Old 03-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #7

Update from my visit to the Factory for Service. Just got home yesterday, and I really need to update my "on-the-road" internet...

All the folks we dealt with were Great and seemed to Care about us and our concerns!!!

Tom W., who I dealt with by phone and email to get all my concerns to the Service Mgr. and get my appointment date set.
Sonia, in the front office, for giving us some suggestions about the local area, where to eat, where to go, etc. Thanks - food was Great..
Randy, who went over all our concerns plus a few minor things that came up during our travels to the factory.
Troy and Nick, for doing what needed to be done plus some extra things I did not even catch beforehand. Thank You Thank You!!!!
Overall we are very happy with all the work that went into our repairs, It was at the factory for 3 days although they were done about 2 1/2 days, they keep it another night so we could get an early start heading south - out of the freezing temps, so we could de-winterize the unit and use it on the way home. Our trip was about 3600 miles round trip (glad diesel is cheep about now) and got to visit family, friends, and some YouTube woodworkers I follow - along the way.
If anyone is interested in "My list of needed work" just let me know. (not sure how to post or might could just email it to you)
Also let me say our "one on one" factory tour was the highlight of our time up there, Thank you for taking time to "show us" how our unit was made! We even went to RV/MH Hall of Fame to see where RV'ing got its roots.

Thanks Indiana - We had a great trip! (Would love to go back "in season" and do more exploring in Topeka, Shipshewana, Middlebury & Elkhart, but loved the snow anyways)
Old 03-14-2016, 05:10 AM   #8

I'm jealous! I wanted to go to the service center the first year I had mine. I had minor things wrong and they talked me in to just taking it to the Dealer.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:51 AM   #9

Yep, My dealer was thinking of having it for about 2 months, once you drop if off - they keep it till the repairs are 100% complete. I did not want - lost RV'ing time - So I just took off from work and made a "Trip" out of it.. Would do it again if needed..
Old 03-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #10

Glad things went well! We attended the National Redwood Rally last year. The Redwood Service folks actually came out to the campground and completed service work while we attended the Rally. Troy and Nick worked on our unit...both were professional, friendly, and knowledgable! Also got to meet Randy. Meeting them was a "breath of fresh air' as compared to most of our experiences with Dealership Service Departments. BTW, I was born and raised in Indiana...they can keep the snow, I'll keep Texas!

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #11
Site Team

I'm glad the trip was a good one for you. We were able to tour the factory while ours was on the line being built and really enjoyed it
Old 05-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #12

Factory Warranty Visit!

I am off to the factory tomorrow.

Have a question for anyone who has been there? Where you required to take everything out of your RV?

I was told by Customer Service that everything had to be taken out of the RV, since they would not be liable for anything left in the RV!

Which brings up the next question, has anyone had anything missing from the RV's after they picked up their RV's?

Would appreciate all information on this! Please let me know.

Thanks,

JT
Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #13

Quote:

Have a question for anyone who has been there? Where you required to take everything out of your RV?

I was told by Customer Service that everything had to be taken out of the RV, since they would not be liable for anything left in the RV!

Which brings up the next question, has anyone had anything missing from the RV's after they picked up their RV's?

Thanks,

JT
I took anything of value out of it, tools, radios, anything you might think someone would be able to easily take and pawn or sell. It wasn't much. I left all dishes, pots, pans, silverware, bedding, towels, everyday items like that in there. Never had anything missing when I picked it up.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply!

I will be taking out all valuable stuff. Silverware and the like!

Too bad we simply can't trust anyone anymore.

Thanks again,

JT
Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #15

Everything is "extreme" now days... Sounds like you think workers at the factory are "guilty 'til proven innocent". It's silly to unload/reunload because you suspect in advance that someone there will steal your drill.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #16

Talking

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I will be taking out all valuable stuff. Silverware and the like!

Too bad we simply can't trust anyone anymore.

Thanks again,

JT
When I turned mine in to ExploreUSA Fort worth earlier this year, I had a Hydraulic Leak so I couldn't open it up. When I picked it up nothing was taken. Here is what I had in there:
IPad, ITouch, Cell Phones, Milwaukee Drill, tools, electronics. Lots of stuff.

Nothing was touched including 1 of the major items I wanted fixed.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #17

I take it you have an appointment with them. Is this a major issue that is going to take days to repair? If it's needs to be left for an extended period outside, I guess I might take anything small that was of value out.
We were there last year, dropped it off in the morning a picked it up later that day. We didn't take a single thing out as we had been traveling for months and had no place to leave anything anyway.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #18

Our unit was scheduled to be at the factory for 3 days - We also traveled about 1430 miles one way to get there, so we removed everything we did not need for this "quick trip" up there, just keep the bare essentials.
I did move tools and the like to the truck on the way up there, but we did leave most stuff inside the rig, just took 3 days worth of cloths and found a nice Bed & Breakfast.
Now, I did move/unload things that might get in their way of the needed repairs, I didn't want to slow them down.
I am very Happy with how they took care of stuff, even a few items I did not mention. They seem to be a Great bunch of folks - from the office, to foreman, to the guys turning wrench's. I think you will be much more happy with them than your selling dealer (One day at Factory = 30 days at the Dealer).... Just my thoughts!!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #19

I might be a little more cautious than most, for one, I can't remember every tool and exactly where it is at this moment so if it did end up missing I might not know it for some time. I also know there are certain items that I do not want to pay to replace. The 30 minutes it took me to remove items was more of a peace of mind thing. I had trust in everyone up there but when "they" told me they can't be responsible for your items I took precaution. To each his own.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #20

Quote:

Thanks,

JT
I have had my unit to factory service twice and have never removed any items. Both times it was a one day job. If I would of had to leave it then I might consider it. The service personnel are great people and I trust them.