Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Need route and campground information

Good morning, we will be traveling to the Ocala, FL area the end of October. Looking for best route and campground's along the way. We will be coming from southwestern NH. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Francis Faulkner
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 AM   #2

My mother and Father are heading to Lakeland at the end of the month , they have done both the inland road and 95. if your traveling during off peak times thru CT, NY city and DC your fine on 95S . any time during a work day rush hour you should rethink your start time. I prefer going thru the mountains in WV over he flat coastal road. NY city and DC traffic is worse then Boston traffic so think ahead and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

Just as said above… I would stay off 95 by all means until you get to the VA. area. NY is a absolute mess and about 40 years behind in road construction upgrades. We come back onto 95 in Fredericksburg and continue on from there.

The tolls through NY and NJ are enough to make you stay away also. Since we left the RW in SC. last month I decided to try 95 since not towing and it was horrible. About $100 in tolls and the George Washington bridge toll was $42 just for the truck.

Steve
Old 09-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Just as said above… I would stay off 95 by all means until you get to the VA. area. NY is a absolute mess and about 40 years behind in road construction upgrades. We come back onto 95 in Fredericksburg and continue on from there.

The tolls through NY and NJ are enough to make you stay away also. Since we left the RW in SC. last month I decided to try 95 since not towing and it was horrible. About $100 in tolls and the George Washington bridge toll was $42 just for the truck.

Steve

Steve.. I think something is wrong... the GW Bridge is expensive, but not that expensive..
We run our tractor trailers over it and it is $75...
Are you still using your RV EZ pass? Or was that a cash payment?

If running your EZ pass, it is automatically taking out the higher fee for combined truck and trailer.
Joe

** on edit
I just looked it up, WOW... $60.00 cash for 2 axle vehicles with DRW.... WOW!!!
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #5

Those tolls are like a cancer around Denver, and now extending out to the interstates throughout Colorado as express lanes. The E470 toll used to hit me for 6 vehicles when I towed the fifth wheel and the DW the boat. After the tow car, each axle is an additional car. Now it hits me for a second car with the tag axle, another 2 for the Jeep axles, then the Jeep transponder hits it again on it's own!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Steve.. I think something is wrong... the GW Bridge is expensive, but not that expensive..
We run our tractor trailers over it and it is $75...
Are you still using your RV EZ pass? Or was that a cash payment?

If running your EZ pass, it is automatically taking out the higher fee for combined truck and trailer.
Joe

** on edit
I just looked it up, WOW... $60.00 cash for 2 axle vehicles with DRW.... WOW!!!
Yes Joe...
Just my truck with no RW in tow and it was $42.00 at the end of July. I questioned the guy and he just said it's construction week... whatever that means. I will not go that way again!!!
Headed out in 2 weeks again but you can bet I am going 81 to 66 again.

Steve
Old 09-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Yes Joe...
Just my truck with no RW in tow and it was $42.00 at the end of July. I questioned the guy and he just said it's construction week... whatever that means. I will not go that way again!!!
Headed out in 2 weeks again but you can bet I am going 81 to 66 again.

Steve
Steve, that is a HUGE ouch..... after I read the GW Bridge site I started figuring out how much money we spend in a week crossing that bridge with our big trucks...
Maybe they will rename it PA Steel Bridge...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #8

I have used www.rvtripwizard.com for a number of trips check it out might help you out.
excapt1259 is offline   Reply With Quote