Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 03:24 AM   #1

Most Intersting CG's

OK.. what was your most interesting experiences with campgrounds. We have a few but will only list one tonight.

Lynchburg Campground 975 Main St, Lynchburg, TN 37352
Interesting and frightening!

We visited the Jack Daniels distillery and it was getting late so we headed out looking for a place to stay for the night. Stopped at a fuel station to fill up and asked a local were to stay. Says his buddy has a CG down the road and off we went. We pull in and that Chevy Chase movie came to mind....A covered bridge in front of us and located on a very steep side hill. We went over but lets say it was very fast.
No one at the building but a note saying take any empty site. We did and it looked abandoned but we backed in. Absolutely no one there and no life to be seen. About midnight I was woken by a bike and looked out and it was next door going very fast up a hill and disappeared into a small shack or garage. Now I am on alert with the little shotgun by side.
Morning came and there was a bill on my windshield wiper saying just to leave cash in the little box at the bridge and thank you for staying.

Steve
Old 08-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #2

Several years ago we were traveling back to Louisiana from Minnesota and thought we would stop in Peoria, Illinois and visit relatives. There are not many campgrounds around Peoria that I would want to stay in but we knew that Jubilee State Park had a campground and although it had been 30 years since we had been there we decided that was going to be our "go to" place. We arrived on a Friday evening, selected a spot out in the middle of a large camping area. The campground had been relocated since we last visited but it looked well taken care of and there were dozens of other campers there so we were happy.

We would leave the fifth wheel after breakfast every morning and head into town to visit with relatives and wouldn't return to the rig until after 10PM every day. Things were fine until Sunday night when we returned. Every camper that had been at the park was gone, apparently just weekend campers! The drive back to our fifth wheel through the park was very scary. The campground area was completely dark and the only light around was our porch light off in the distance. The park is not gated which means anyone at anytime can drive through. We didn't sleep well that night and heard cars drive through the park during the night. Needless to say, we packed up and left the next day.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

We had a scary incounter Salem OR over labor day weekend 2015. It was about 10:30at night on sunday and we had heard a loud crash outside. I went out to see some one stealing a company truck from the lot on the other side of the campground fence. They were ramming the fence to get out with the truck. Once they broke free they drove into the campground. I went inside and locked the door. The woman that took the truck parked it right in front of our trailer and jumped out with a 10" butcher knife in her hand. I went and got the shotgun my wife was doing dishes and was not paying attention. Next thing I heard was a knock at the door and heard my wife pull the handle but the deadbolt was locked so it did not open and I yelled to her not to open the door. I looked out the slide window and the woman was standing there holding the knife at the door. Once I opened the blind and loaded the shotgun she knew to take off running. About 40 mins later the police caught her hiding in my neighbors truck he had left unlocked. They had to taser her 7 times to get her out and handcuffed. Made for interesting talk around the campground the next day. Most of the PPL did not even know it happened. All the years we had been camping first time I had to get the gun but so glad we had it.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #4

Wow, what a horrible experience! I'm not letting my wife read this one or I'll be stuck doing "driveway camping".
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

Could happen in your driveway as well. Just never know these days.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #6

where do you keep your shotgun in the 38RL. utility closet near the door?
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:39 AM   #7
Site Team

In 2010 my wife and I were in Hattiesburg MS opening a new magazine. She had found on the internet a campground that looked great on line. One of the pictures was a white picket fence near a pond and some flowers. We pulled in late and were surprised. It was behind a gas station and looked like a small junk yard of RVs with about 12 rigs in there. Once I pulled in, I was getting ready to back out when most of the porch lights came on and a guy started to walk out to my truck. Within a minute I had 3 guys walking through the dark up to my truck. I grabbed something from the console of the truck and told Ginny to sit tight and not to unlock the door.

The old boy said that all of these guys were displaced vets from Katrina and his name was Mike. Mike was retired Sgt Major and to these vets he was GOD. Mike said "I know we look rough and I can't blame you for feeling uneasy but you're safe here". Mike explained that most if not all of the MH had to be towed in with tow trucks.

These guys were wonderful and to be honest I had no idea before meeting them just how screwed up our VA hospitals are. I was honored to meet these heroes! When Sgt Major Mike wasn't around they told me more about him. He was the real deal, they said in Vietnam he'd go into the tunnels with just a knife. Now he dedicated himself to taking care of the vets he found along the road.

I couldn't thank them enough for their friendships when we left and I was grateful to have met such giving people

P.S. I'm fortunate that these guys were friendly......I found out later that I was out-gunned.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #8

I put in a Gun safe with a quick release drawer that uses your finger print. before that I had it in holder mounted on my side of the bed. The safe has same wood work as our cabinets blends in.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
Site Team

I have similar for the handgun, made by GunVault and looks like a laptop at a quick glance. Bolted through a cabinet and takes the right 4 finger code to open.
The shotgun is mounted inside the closet in an old Police mount with a solenoid release. You have to know where the switch for the solenoid is .......
Mossberg 500, short barrel, long tube, same as Police used to use.