Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Mid-Atlantic through New England

Hi all!

Planning our trip through New England this summer. Leaving Baltimore and heading to meet RW Bud and Lois in Nova Scotia. Looking for some words of wisdom from those who have traveled any or all of this route. How is 95 north of New York? What is best route around NYC? How navigable is the New England coast with a RW? Any other advice. TIA
Old 05-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #2

If it were me , I would stay far away from NY City and the Geo Wash Bridge... The roads are a mess for towing up till the Bridgeport CT area...

From your house, I would run 95 north to the Delaware Memorial Bridge , cross it to the NJ Turnpike...take the turnpike North to exit #10.. Hop on 287 north, take it up to 87 South ,towards the Tapanzee Bridge , cross the bridge and hop on 684 North.. Take it 30 miles up to 84 East.... Once in CT you have many choices depending on what part of New England you want to end up in...

The fastest way of course would be the George Washington Bridge , but I am not so sure I would want to tow my RW any where near the bridge and the roads north of it.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Site Team

We pulled the Redwood up through Maine without an issue other than costs on the tollways. When we left New Jersey I believe we took 287 and then came back East to 95. The worst part were the road conditions and parking for the dually in the upper areas of Maine.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

Agreed with Ford truck guy... STAY AWAY from 95 in NY. It is a mess and always has been a mess and you would not want the abuse on the RW. Pot holes the size of your tire.
84 has construction as you enter CT. but working at night so not to bad during the day. If your backed up it's only for about 10 miles at most but moving pretty well.

Steve
Old 05-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

Forgot to mention that 84 to 91 are very good routs North. Mass pike is also good if your headed east from 91.

Steve
Old 05-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #6

If you can arrange to plan your trip any time other than between July 16th and Aug 7th you will be making it easier to find open space at camp grounds. Quebec has what it call "construction shut down". Where all construction and most industries close between these dates. So there is a mass exit to the New England states all the way to Virginia Beach. So if you are going on these dates reserve now or you might be staying in Wallmart's.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote