Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Traveling

Micro/Convection Grease Filters

I am super embarrassed to ask this, but I am frustrated.
Does anyone know of how to remove the grease filters in the Frigidaire convection oven that are underneath? There are two and they have a small metal hoop that gives the impression that you are supposed to tug on it to remove the filter for cleaning. Well, mine just pulled out and trashed the filter
What am I missing here?
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #2

I've been running without one for months now, same thing you did. I haven't been able to locate a replacement yet. They are supposed to slide back and then out, didn't work for me.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Traveling

Yeah, they are JUNK. What a bummer. I don't want all that grease going out my vent, it will end up on the paint outside. Well, I am going to have to figure something out. I got them out, but they are bent and broken. They definitely are not intended to be cleaned as often as they should. Mine have a LOT of grease in them, which renders them useless (the grease is attracted to the cold steel metal and sticks to it.) They work great when they are clean, but not when they have a layer of grease on them. Easy to pop them in the dishwasher IF YOU CAN GET THEM OUT!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Traveling

By the way, while I am on the subject... Religiously using your hood exhaust when cooking is one of the BEST ways to keep your coach from having a bad "lived in" odor. Cooking smells and air-borne grease float out and adhere to every surface, much more than you might think. Your fabrics and woodwork become embedded and it's impossible to get it out. USE your venthood, ALWAYS! (that goes for your house too!) Oh, and CLEAN the filters IF YOU CAN GET THEM OUT!! LOL!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #5

Or don't cook and eat out all the time

As my wife says, the oven is decorative !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #6

Thankfully we use the grille 99% of the time, but you are correct. Since you are doing a "by the way" :-) Other than using an old awning pulldown rod with a rubber tip on it, how are others opening that darned outside vent.
USN Retired

Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #7

TNT try Google "Frigidaire convection oven filter replacement". I have had good luck with those kind of searches....Ian
Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
Thankfully we use the grille 99% of the time, but you are correct. Since you are doing a "by the way" :-) Other than using an old awning pulldown rod with a rubber tip on it, how are others opening that darned outside vent.
I stand on one of those little collapsible steps and do it by hand. Before we get underway, I use one of my magnetic clips with an index card on the door of the micro that says "OPEN OUTSIDE VENT" because I always forget. The card lives inside of my "go box" which has all sorts of goodies: refrigerator door velcro closures, rubber fridge content strap, and my pre-flight checklist. Such is the life of the easily distracted.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
Traveling

I think I am going to go to HDepot and find some replacement filters that are about the same size and glue on magnetic strips and then stick them to the bottom. That design in there is a JOKE.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post

I bought a piece of 1/2 inch diameter dowel rod 3 feet long. I then bought a hook from the hardware area and screwed it into the end of the dowel rod. Now I can use it to the locking tabs up/down to unlock/lock the tabs on the vent. I just store the rod in the storage area where it is easily accessible.

Easy as pie!!!

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Traveling

So I have to assume that locking the tabs before travel is a good idea? I suppose the door would get broken? I noticed the dryer vent doesn't have the locking tabs...
Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #12

Absolutely. It will flap itself to pieces. Plus, where we have our rig and camp, that is a great place for the stink bugs to enter. Right into the microwave or stove vent. I open and close it as needed.
USN Retired