Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Traveling

In-Transit Damage Prevention

Greetings all; Though I am a "newbie" on this site (Just ordered our new 38RL due in mid May!) I am NOT new to RVing at all... Had large fivers before. Wanted to share a very useful tip that we discovered and will repeat on the RW.

Without going into the LEGALITY and SAFETY issues (every state is different and everyone's personal view is different and correct for YOU) We found that doing this one thing every year or so made a HUGE difference.

Once every year or so, while driving down the road from our home when leaving on a trip, I would ride inside the fiver to monitor "goings on". The 3 mile road from our home to the freeway is bumpy, windy and perfect for seeing "worst case scenario" (except for hard braking) inside the coach.

This allows you to see problems before they become "damage". Things that are clattering, doors/drawers banging open and shut which are not often seen until the EVIDENCE of it is seen, which usually means a repair or worn/damaged cabinet finish. I can't tell you how many times we have been glad to learn of something that wasn't travelling too well, and nipped it before we saw the RESULTS of it.

I do NOT recommend doing this on highly traveled, high speed roads/freeways for safety. If you have seen what ANY 5th Wheel looks like after an accident on the freeway, you will agree. It is NOT SAFE. But on a short country road when you never exceed 30 mph, it's much safer with almost no traffic.

Just my opinion. We think it works well.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #2

That sounds like a great tip-advice to me. DW doesn't pull yet; I guess she will be the guinea pig!!! LOL
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

Or a judicially mounted cell phone or two taking a movie might be safer

(What we did and was able to see @ 60 mph what 30 mph may not reveal !)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #4

Different states have different legality issues with this. It may or may not concern you for a short distance. I know in SD it is legal if you have communication with the driver. A person may want to look at their state regulations on this just to be on the safe side.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
Site Team

I agree with Rodger. Several states have laws allowing riders in the 5th wheels as long as there's communication devices. I've offered for my wife to take a nap but she so far has refused. As far as wrecks go...have you ever seen a motor home after a crash? Yet people ride in them all the time.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

Now thats a fact about motor homes!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
Site Team

I guess I'm just running on borrowed time! I drink Jack, ride motorcycles, been known to drive fast for long periods of time, have spent a fair amount of time in small aircraft, have prostate cancer and have been married to the same woman for 36 years.

I wouldn't be too worried of riding in the 5th wheel. Life is a journey....you might just as well enjoy it!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #8

Dave, treat yourself and drink George Dickel. If you like Jack; you will love George white label. I have mine with water and a little lemon juice.
CHEERS!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
Dave, treat yourself and drink George Dickel. If you like Jack; you will love George white label. I have mine with water and a little lemon juice.
CHEERS!!!
I'll try it but..... I never pollute my coffee or alcohol But I do put salt in the Margareta
Old 03-13-2014, 02:31 AM   #10

If we ever get to meet up; it my pleasure to treat you.
Jay D.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:31 AM   #11

its my pleasure to treat you.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:43 AM   #12
Site Team

I love traveling and meeting other RVers regardless of what they camp with. The next time I'm in Colorado I'll call you and Brad so we can share a campfire. A couple times a year I tend to head for the Rockies just to get away from the office or a father/son trip to discuss the struggles of life.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #13

It would be my pleasure to camp with you. What part of the country are you in and from?
George Dickel is a sour mash southern whiskey made the next county over from the JD distillery. They know how to make it in Tennessee.
Jay D notice the JD in my name.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:12 AM   #14
Site Team

We're in the Greater Peoria Illinois area but I travel a bunch for business. My wife and I met camping when we were 12. Needless to say we enjoy camping
Old 03-13-2014, 03:12 AM   #15

I'm going full timing in Oct. I will be Ramblin around. I will spend a month in RGV in Dec. and move to Az. to Quartzsite for the mid Jan. rally and probably outside of Phoenix for the rest of the winter. Then its "ON" for Alaska.
Jay D
Old 03-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #16

That is a cool story. I had 3 dates with mine and married for 41 years now. I will try to catch the RW rally.
Jay D.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:31 AM   #17

I also enjoy George D on occasion.

Mark
Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #18

Nice !!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Greetings all; Though I am a "newbie" on this site (Just ordered our new 38RL due in mid May!) I am NOT new to RVing at all... Had large fivers before. Wanted to share a very useful tip that we discovered and will repeat on the RW.

Without going into the LEGALITY and SAFETY issues (every state is different and everyone's personal view is different and correct for YOU) We found that doing this one thing every year or so made a HUGE difference.

Once every year or so, while driving down the road from our home when leaving on a trip, I would ride inside the fiver to monitor "goings on". The 3 mile road from our home to the freeway is bumpy, windy and perfect for seeing "worst case scenario" (except for hard braking) inside the coach.

This allows you to see problems before they become "damage". Things that are clattering, doors/drawers banging open and shut which are not often seen until the EVIDENCE of it is seen, which usually means a repair or worn/damaged cabinet finish. I can't tell you how many times we have been glad to learn of something that wasn't travelling too well, and nipped it before we saw the RESULTS of it.

I do NOT recommend doing this on highly traveled, high speed roads/freeways for safety. If you have seen what ANY 5th Wheel looks like after an accident on the freeway, you will agree. It is NOT SAFE. But on a short country road when you never exceed 30 mph, it's much safer with almost no traffic.

Just my opinion. We think it works well.
I would do that in a second if I could get a driver. Wife won't do it and I don't want to be in the back with her driving.

I found some chaffing, continuous loose screws in the doors, and other oddities that I think are a direct result of tire balance. I could answer the question in a few minutes by riding down the highway in the back. As it is, I'll just get the tires balanced.

I've had three fifth wheels, and two of them would loose parts down the road, the third never had an issues but also had new tires mounted and balanced the first week we owned it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #20

Same here, my wife doesn't have the licence and won't get one. She would be uncomfortable driving it on the motorway, never mind a country road.

When I bought the "G" tires I had them balanced before being installed. It is hard to believe that they don't balance them at the factory.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote