Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

In Command ... stopped working briefly??

Yesterday we had the AC’s off because of the breeze, when we went to turn them on later at night from the in command system, the AC’s would not work…. No fans, no nothing…. The zone temps were showing -F and I could not link to it from my phone. . . .after about a few hours of searching, I unplugged the 50 amp shore power, and disconnected the battery switch for 15 seconds… I turned everything back on and all worked…. All night…

Any idea what may have happened?? How to prevent this from happening again ?? The batteries are 2 Interstate Deep Cell, group 27… all connections seam to be tight? Gonna be 90 today and we are in full sun, hoping for the best...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #2

Joe any chance you put the slides out without shore power? Just thinking maybe the 12 volt system was in a low voltage situation and it locked up? any other high power 12 volt item running with out shore power could do the same thing . Refrigerator on the inverter for a 1/2 day could drag the battery down below 11 volts?
Old 05-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
Joe any chance you put the slides out without shore power? Just thinking maybe the 12 volt system was in a low voltage situation and it locked up? any other high power 12 volt item running with out shore power could do the same thing . Refrigerator on the inverter for a 1/2 day could drag the battery down below 11 volts?
Thanks Mark,

When I arrived at camp, I plugged into shore power before doing anything and then unhooked, and leveled. I DID leave the fridge on inverter till this happened, but didn't think that was an issue?

We ( my Wife ) had the AC's all off most of the day, BUT I do know that we were messing around with the in-command system trying to link additional phones to it. At one time we actually reset the system to factory settings for whatever reason??? ( daughter) ..

What I did to get it working was unplug from shore power nd turn off the battery disconnect switch together for 20 seconds...

Turned everything back on and al worked from that point on... never a glitch again?????????
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 AM   #4

I had my slide in the bedroom lock up on one side , nothing I did with the switch would get it to move more then 2". Got the end of my rope and unplugged and disconnected the battery , that fixed the motor memory! Finally it came all the way in and I got my wife and the cat in the truck headed home.

Tech is good if its fool proof, some times I am the fool......
Old 05-28-2019, 03:38 AM   #5

From the owner of an "older" Redwood, I think I'm glad I have physical switches and not some cheap software "gizmo" to complicate my life while on the road. Our coach is almost 6 and a half years old and the slide switches and AC controls haven't failed yet.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
From the owner of an "older" Redwood, I think I'm glad I have physical switches and not some cheap software "gizmo" to complicate my life while on the road. Our coach is almost 6 and a half years old and the slide switches and AC controls haven't failed yet.

I agree totally. As a retired electrical/electronics engineer who has done hardware and software development, replacing a 2-state switch with software control of operation systems in an RV can be very problematic. The RV industry is not willing to pay the cost for systems that have been fully developed to the point of being essentially bug free. If that hasn't been done, I can guarantee you that problems will and can occur.

It is very cost prohibitive to replace a $0.50 to $1.00 switch with a fully debugged and foolproof software control system just for some perceived convenience.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #7

sounds like a "RE-BOOT" was needed....can't think of any software defined...processor controlled pce of electronics that doesn't need that from time to time....too bad the industry thinks there is a place for that in an RV....although my brother in law would be all over the tech showing everyone who would listen....me...just more trouble...

Wes
2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

At the '13 rally RW tour they debuted this high tech IPad looking thing to operate all functions & the general consensus was "NO, keep the switches", most of us wearing glasses could barely see it with then on let alone in middle of the night trying to adjust the themostat without finding your glasses.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:41 AM   #9

I love the pad and phone app. I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to adjust the AC. I can raise and lower the hitch from the cab on my phone. All the controls are in one place. I can turn on lights when we come home.

It is glitchy. Sometimes if you don't exit a screen on the pad, the app doesn't want to hook up. But it's smart...today I found out that if it's hooked up to the truck power, and the emergency flashers are on, you can't override the travel lock.
glenwolde is offline   Reply With Quote