Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

Horrible park, Fairplex KOA, Pomona

Absolutely the worst RV park ever! Hoping some units move out by Monday so I can get out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairplex.JPG (137.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Fairplex 1.JPG (125.9 KB, 17 views)

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #2

We stayed at North Shore RV Park in Pomona CA last spring, great park with wide spaces, nice landscaping and great staff.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

Entrance to camping area we stayed in for 3 weeks.

View down the hill during the week when a number of the sites were empty

Our stay was last spring before we bought our Redwood FL, the Jayco Pinnacle in the picture is us

17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

We have intentionally avoided KOA's since 1987 IIRC...

overpriced, underwhelming, crowded, tack on charges for everything....
but other than that, they are fine
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #4

Agree with the pricing statement! A lot of sites are getting on the high end anymore. I can remember staying in Myrtle Beach for under $20 a day...!
usaf1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Site Team

I've stayed in some good KOA camp grounds but I've also encountered some that have been pretty worn down.

One of our biggest complaints has been finding good campgrounds.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I've stayed in some good KOA camp grounds but I've also encountered some that have been pretty worn down.

One of our biggest complaints has been finding good campgrounds.
I agree Dave, there are a few KOA's that are nice, we have a couple of them we frequent that are nice and in the right location for our needs.

But they are the exception for sure, there are a lot of them that are in poor shape and are not worth even stopping at.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf1949 View Post
Agree with the pricing statement! A lot of sites are getting on the high end anymore. I can remember staying in Myrtle Beach for under $20 a day...!
We are currently in the North Myrtle Beach area at a very nice CG but it isn't cheap for sure, $50 a night. Good thing my company pays our CG costs when we are on the road working.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:46 AM   #8
Site Team

A lot of the CG that are close to the expressways are too expensive for what they have to offer. There's been a few times when we were on the road we found a rest area and slept for about 6 or 7 hours. If we're lucky we'll find a space next to the grass so we can open up one of the slides. With the generator running we have all the comforts of home.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #9

Dave, I totaly agree about finding nice CGs, even looking at web sites they only show pics of the one & only decent site in the whole park. Also looking at Good Sams parks they need to go back occasionally & rerate several 'cause a lot of their 9s & 10s in my opinion should be 5 or 6, but maybe we are too picky. I spend a lot of time reading reviews on a couple different web sites & you need to read between the lines on those also as some of those folks give the park a poor rating only because they have a weak WiFi which to me is no big deal as I bring my own.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:38 AM   #10

We use http://www.campgroundreviews.com as one of our primary research tools when looking for a park to stay at.
I find the reviews fairly accurate most of the time.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:10 AM   #11
Traveling

I don't think we have ever stayed at a KOA that wasn't right next to a train track. It's like it's a prerequisite or something!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #12

KOA San Diego is an exception, even though it is near a freeway. Beautiful sites, decent wifi, lots of trees & grass areas. It is pricey at $50-60. Only problem are the hundreds of crows that nest it the many trees that wake everyone up each morning for about a half hour and then leave for the day. For bicyclists, there's is access to the Bayshore Bikeways, a 25 mile loop from San Diego along the strand to Coronado.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #13

The North Sydney KOA in Nova Scotia is also an exception. Our site was huge - 70' by at least 35'. Great owner, facilities and view.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #14

We use some KOA's when we transit the US on our trip from Ontario to California and return each winter. Yes, they vary in quality depending on the owner but the ones we've stopped at have been passable. I wouldn't consider them a "destination campground" however. Kind of like McDonalds, food isn't great but there is some consistency! The Bowling Green KY and Carlsbad NM ones are above average, as is the Thunder Bay Ontario one which was an award winner last year.

I also note that the ones that lose their KOA affiliation seem to do so as they don't seem to meet the standard, at least in those that we've stayed at.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #15

KOA= Keep On Adding
Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 AM   #16

Not all KOAs are bad. Look for President and/or Founders affiliations/award-winners for the better CGs. I also rely heavily on campgroundreviews.com as I find it provides honest, detailed information from campers like us. And although I find their parks to be few and far between, we have been successful in using our Passport America card for convenient, overnight transient spots while enroute on a long trip, at a more than decent price.
Piper Guy's Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
We use some KOA's when we transit the US on our trip from Ontario to California and return each winter. Yes, they vary in quality depending on the owner but the ones we've stopped at have been passable. I wouldn't consider them a "destination campground" however. Kind of like McDonalds, food isn't great but there is some consistency! The Bowling Green KY and Carlsbad NM ones are above average, as is the Thunder Bay Ontario one which was an award winner last year.

I also note that the ones that lose their KOA affiliation seem to do so as they don't seem to meet the standard, at least in those that we've stayed at.
Almcc, where do you winter in California? We are looking for a place down there.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodRebelYYC View Post
Almcc, where do you winter in California? We are looking for a place down there.
We have wintered in California for the past 4 years or so. We like the Borrego Springs area, it's in the desert about an hour south west of Palm Springs and San Diego is a couple of hours "over the hill" from Borrego Springs. The population is about 3,000 so it's pretty quiet and you have to head towards Palm Springs or Brawley for decent shopping.

There are lots of camping opportunities in the area starting from primitive camping in the desert to more upscale facilities.

We stay at the Springs at Borrego RV resort http://www.springsatborrego.com/ It's a bit pricey but has great facilities and services, if you are a golfer there is a 9 hole course on site and an 18 hole course in the adjacent Roadrunner club.

We have also stayed at the Fountain of Youth RV park near Indio, I just got a postcard from them and they are offering winter sites for under $2,000 plus electric, it's an OK park but not as nice as the Springs.

Andy ("Oriana") who is contributor to this forum above has stayed near Indio, he may be able to provide info about his experiences there.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodRebelYYC View Post
You can also check out Indian Waters, which is located in Indio. It is about 60 miles from the CG that Al uses.

We were very impressed and know of at least 1 other Redwood that will be there. We prefer the deluxe patio sites with grass.

It is located about 2 miles from I-10 and Indio is at the Eastern edge of the Palm Springs valley. Lots of local shopping. CG has loads of daily activities. Looking at about $1,000 per month depending on whether a grass or gravel site.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #20

Do you know anything about Emerald Desert in Palm Desert?
I will be there 11/20-12/20. They had a special @ $750 including utilities.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote