Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #21
Site Team

You'll love the RL. We've had ours almost 4 years now and we still come back to the fact that for us, there isn't a better layout (well, I might consider a 38RL ).
Old 06-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #22

We also love the RL was the best fit for us. I also like to sit across from the TV. not looking at it from a angle.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedreamer View Post
Well we have decided to go with the 36rl model ! Can't wait. Thanks for your help all. Question for"Ted 95" im a little confused about your setup. the 4 6volt bats are they a total of 400 amps or per pair and the house bank and coach bank? and what size (watt)are the solar panels? i am thinkin of running 4 trojan 6v at 420 amp hr a pair so would total 840 amp hrs so curious about size of panels i would need. Thanks again everyone
When you connect your batteries in serial, you double the voltage however the amp hours remain the same. In parallel, the voltage remains the same but your amp hours double.

2-6v in series yields 12v, amp hours remain 220 (or whatever the batteries are rated). Tying your pair of 6v batteries in parallel keeps your 12v but doubles you amp hours to 440.

Not sure about your solar question....I charge mine with a Honda.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post

Tying your pair of 6v batteries in parallel keeps your 12v but doubles you amp hours to 440.

Ken
Ken,

Correct me if I am wrong but two 6V batteries in a parallel still puts out 6V. In order to get to 12V you need to have them in a series. Or the way I have it on by boat 4 6V two series two parallel. This gives you 12V with as many amp hours as possible.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #25

Larry,

That is correct. I was trying to illustrate that point, 2- 6v in series =12v. Joining the pair of 6v (that are in series) together in parallel keeps the 12v, but doubles the amp hours....

Ken
Old 06-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Larry,

That is correct. I was trying to illustrate that point, 2- 6v in series =12v. Joining the pair of 6v (that are in series) together in parallel keeps the 12v, but doubles the amp hours....

Ken
So I was trying to compare having two 6V golf cart batteries (GC-2) wired in a series to having two deep cycle group 27's. It is a little like comparing apples and oranges. The GC batteries are rated differently than the deep cycle.

I assumed I could run my inverter longer on the two 6-V compared to two group 27's.

Of course if I want to do it right, I would have four 6V in a parallel/series combo like you have.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #27

Yea, you'll get a bunch more amp hours with 2 6v than 2 group 27's!
Old 06-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Redwood has had it's share of troubles with the residential fridges by trying to reinvent the wheel rather than look a the industry, and I don't think they are all resolved yet - just beware:
  • Fridges not secured - would bounce out of hole and hit counters.
  • Doors not secured - would swing open and damage themselves on counters (I think that got fixed).
  • No actual shut off for the fridge or inverter - had to pull batt cables for storage.
  • No means to winterize or access to the back panel.
  • Design calls for inverter and two 31 series batteries, but they were delivered with one 24 series battery. (some early ones required 3 27 series batteries and the third located in the basement area).
We now have a residentlal fridge and it is nice, but I never had an issue with our 12cf Norcold. To be honest, we don't bring enough food on a vacation to keep things secure in a 20cf residential style fridge and when you open the door you end up wearing most of it.
Agree on securing food in the big Res-fridge. We keep a half-dozen empty quart milk bottles and lay them down on the shelves when traveling to hold the other items in place. So far has worked for us. Of course, the beer is secured in the door shelves (gotta set ones priorities!)
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote