Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #1

Florida beach front resorts

Does anyone know of any nice treed, beach front RV resorts in Florida? Gale and I are thinking we may spend a few months there this winter. All the searches I have done show resorts with very few, if any shade trees. Thanks all.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #2

Florida is a BIG state, can you be more specific??? Most parks on, or close to the water have very few trees so you might have a hard time finding what you're looking for.

One note...Florida is BUSY in the winter, especially southern Florida. The rates are high and availability, especially for long term stays, is sparse. Many parks fill up a year in advance. We stay in the Sarasota area and make our reservations a year in advance!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Florida is a BIG state, can you be more specific??? Most parks on, or close to the water have very few trees so you might have a hard time finding what you're looking for.

One note...Florida is BUSY in the winter, especially southern Florida. The rates are high and availability, especially for long term stays, is sparse. Many parks fill up a year in advance. We stay in the Sarasota area and make our reservations a year in advance!!!
Thanks for the information. Can't be more specific as I have no idea where the nice places are - hence my question. Just inquiring as I have only done the "Disney" thing a few times with the family. Fly in and fly out. Never traveled around or rved anywhere in Florida. Looking for suggestions. Thanks for the heads up on how busy it is.
Is it possible to travel the east coast of the state in January to April to see the sights (touristy things) with out making reservations along the way. We want to travel around and not stay at any one place for more than a few weeks max.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #4

I grew up in Miami [southeast FL], left FL in the 80's and now winter in Sarasota [southwest FL]. The state is BIG, there is much to do and see depending on what your interests are. As for beaches, from my perspective the prettiest are on the Gulf coast, the most spectacular is Siesta Key in Sarasota followed by the beaches in the panhandle [Destin, Panama City, etc.]

The state can best be divided into several sections, Panhandle [nice beaches], Northwest Gulf[virtually no beaches], Northeast Atlantic[biggest surf, windy], Southeast Atlantic [prettier than Northeast, windy] Central [no beaches] and Southwest [nice beaches, little surf and not as windy as Atlantic coast]. The Keys have very few beaches. Again the best beaches are Panhandle and Southwest.

Climate - There seems to be a magic imaginary line going from Cocoa Beach [east coast] across to Orlando and continuing to Tampa [west coast] where cold seems to stop. Though Florida is warmer than most all other parts of the US the northern portion still gets cold and it is not uncommon for nighttime lows to reach the 40's, sometimes 30's and on occasion to dip below freezing. Below that imaginary line the nightly lows seldom reach the 40's, typically the lows are in the 60's or 50's. Last year in Sarasota i dressed in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops most of the winter!!

To say there is much to do in Florida is true but it depends on what you LIKE to do. Sightseeing, yes there is much especially in Central FL [Orlando, Gainesville, Ocala, etc] We like to kayak, southwest and even northwest, actually most any part of FL has numerous rivers and canals to navigate, some with spectacular scenery and birding. We go out at least once a week, sometimes several times

Camping - The most popular destination for snowbirds is southwest FL, the busiest and most expensive except for the Keys [very expensive]. Parks are crowded and at many times full so you have to plan early for this part of the state. Next would be Southeast, not quite as crowded or expensive but again you need to plan. Next would be Panhandle, followed by Northwest. The least crowded and most economical is Central [no beaches].

There are many state parks, many are quite nice but many also are old thus have limited, if any, parking for big rigs like our Redwoods. State Parks are crowded in the winter and have 14 day limits, book early[sorry I can't remember how far in advance you can book].

Hope this helps, good luck and enjoy!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Chuck that's a lot of great information......

We've camped a few times for one week stays in a place just outside of Tampa (Oldsmar area). It had plenty of trees, was privately ownded and friendly people. The folks I talked to there were all snow birds mostly from the North East or Canada. They all loved the place and many had been coming there for years.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodRebelYYC View Post
Does anyone know of any nice treed, beach front RV resorts in Florida? Gale and I are thinking we may spend a few months there this winter. All the searches I have done show resorts with very few, if any shade trees. Thanks all.
Listen to Chuck,that's all good and accurate info,believe me.I would add it is quite cool in the panhandle until apr. 1st or so.Also IMO you do not want trees,you want sun.The live Oak are dirty and sure mess up a camper Feb. to Apr. with pollen, not to mention worms or caterpillars. Enjoy Florida wherever you go!!!!!
TerLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #7

Thanks everyone, for the great information. The planning begins!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:31 AM   #8

We are making our plans for Florida too. Anyone on here ever stay at tropical Palms in Orlando? Thanks!
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:06 AM   #9

Quote:
This is not an advertisement for this particular outfit but my brother has been doing the snow bird thing for several years and swears by this resort. Give them a look see. The Glades RV Resort http://thegladesresort.com/the-property/

It is definitely not beach front but there are sites right on an adjacent waterway/river. I feel like as soon as I am ready for a longer trip south I maybe giving them a try, especially if my brother is there. Good for an extended family visit....
6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel w/ 6 Speed Allison Trans
Rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #10

Chuck,
What is an average beach front at the keys cost per day? We go every year by plane, but often wondered if I would bring a 5er and stay a while when we retire. ....maybe not!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Chuck,
What is an average beach front at the keys cost per day? We go every year by plane, but often wondered if I would bring a 5er and stay a while when we retire. ....maybe not!
Not uncommon for daily rates for ANY Keys campground during the high season [Dec-Mar, Jan & Feb are the highest] to be over $100/day, beachfront will be more. Even weekly and monthly rates are very high, I've heard of people paying over $2,000/month.

Southwest FL [Naples, Ft. Myers, Sarasota/Bradenton] rates are a somewhat less, $40-50/day, $300-400/week, $1,000-1,2000/month.

Southeast FL a little less than SW, Central [Orlando] a little less, north of Orlando will be the least expensive.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #12

Tropical Palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
We are making our plans for Florida too. Anyone on here ever stay at tropical Palms in Orlando? Thanks!
We stayed at Tropical Palms a few times. It is a nice park put you want to try to stay in the front part of the park. Also you want to get there before rush hour. The traffic is really bad and your right in the heart of Orlando.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Not uncommon for daily rates for ANY Keys campground during the high season [Dec-Mar, Jan & Feb are the highest] to be over $100/day, beachfront will be more. Even weekly and monthly rates are very high, I've heard of people paying over $2,000/month.

Southwest FL [Naples, Ft. Myers, Sarasota/Bradenton] rates are a somewhat less, $40-50/day, $300-400/week, $1,000-1,2000/month.

Southeast FL a little less than SW, Central [Orlando] a little less, north of Orlando will be the least expensive.
Thanks Chuck - its bad, but could be worse I guess. We stayed at Newport Beach campground and when she said $300 I thought that was for the length of the stay - NOT!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #14

We just reserved the last two weeks of January at the state park campground on St. George's Island on the panhandle. It will probably be cooler (colder?) than southern Florida, but the beaches are spectacular, the campground has lots of available sites for 40 ft.+ units and new 50 amp service. My cuz is a state park ranger (at another park) and tells us this park is not to be missed.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:54 AM   #15

St Georges is a BEAUTIFUL park, the island is spectacular, you will not be disappointed!!!

On the other side of the state...one of my favorite parks, Anastasia in St. Augustine, if you can try to get in there.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #16

Perhaps another year ... we've enlisted as "residential volunteers" at Savannas State Park Preserve from Nov. 1 - Jan. 15. I'll be instructing rangers from neighboring parks on how to fly and photograph from the air using quadcopters (drones, although I dislike that word - sounds so military) for wildfire and prescribed fire surveillance, search and rescue, and creating virtual video tours of the parks for handicapped folks. Not a bad first gig for a couple of newbie full-timers! Then on to St. George's, and THEN on to New Orleans for a few weeks, including Mardi Gras. Come March and April, we'll probably be on the Texas coast for the bird migration, and then probably on to Oregon after that. Unless our plans change...
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #17

I would agree St George Island SP is a great place, the whole island is awesome.
The SP had to be rebuild a few years ago due to hurricane damage.

We do installations and service for a lot of our customers on the Island.

The SP is on the East end of the Island, the Plantation is on the West end of the island, with some hotels, shops and restaurants in the middle of the island where the causeway enters.

We also like to stay TopSail SP near Destin and have seen a new park at Pensacola Beach that we are going to look at too.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #18

Sun N Fun, Sarasota FL
Peggy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #19

Quote:
We are at the Great Outdoors Rv Golf Resort in Titusville Fl, it is near Cape Canaveral, so we see rocket launches quite frequently. Like the gentleman explained it is very full in campgrounds and parks in winter months with snowbirds, temp wise we stay mostly in the mid 70's to low 80's from Nov thru March, lows at night with a cold snap in the low 50's.
The park will rent sites for up to 1 month, and they have several sites in back of park with both Palm and Oak trees that offer shade, however be cautioned, you can get debris from the trees that can stain your rooftop if not removed every couple of weeks. There are several residents who own sites and rent longer and cheaper than the resort, but you have to get these in advance, as they are mostly rented for the following year, unless you get lucky.
Good luck in your travels around Florida, it sure beats the snow and cold weather.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote