Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

I was just on another forum, and someone there stated that he was looking at Redwood, but that Redwood told him that they would not recommend the Redwood for dry camping. Has anyone here been told that? And if so, why is it not recommended?

Thanks,
Marian

Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin'n'Marian
I was just on another forum, and someone there stated that he was looking at Redwood, but that Redwood told him that they would not recommend the Redwood for dry camping. Has anyone here been told that? And if so, why is it not recommended?

Thanks,
Marian

I saw that post too. I'll be at the factory tomorrow and I'll ask them about it. I don't think that's right.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

The redwood is really no different than any other RV out there as far as systems go so I don't understand where this is coming from but on another post someone said they were told not to travel with a full tank of fresh water, I can understand this as it is heavy to carry ( 100 gallons of water is 800 pounds of weight) and it is hard on the tank to travel fully loaded but people do it anyway. As far as electric it's the same as any other RV out there you either have power via a Gen set or a inverter for dry camping. Maybe some one is trying to stir some sh%t because they once again don't know what there talking about.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
The redwood is really no different than any other RV out there as far as systems go so I don't understand where this is coming from but on another post someone said they were told not to travel with a full tank of fresh water, I can understand this as it is heavy to carry ( 100 gallons of water is 800 pounds of weight) and it is hard on the tank to travel fully loaded but people do it anyway. As far as electric it's the same as any other RV out there you either have power via a Gen set or a inverter for dry camping. Maybe some one is trying to stir some sh%t because they once again don't know what there talking about.
X6
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

I think the people on that other site must fell and bumped there head.

Lillyputz
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz
I think the people on that other site must fell and bumped there head.

Lillyputz
You're a lot nicer than I am or else you're more polite.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #7

Tell us what you really think don't be shy

Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #8

must be the same ones that claim, they get20 miles per gal. pulling a 24k 5th wheel at 75 mph with a 1/2 ton truck.

Lillyputz
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

Now your talking.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #10

The only thing I can think of is all those lights, everywhere!! Lots of them and they can really suck the juice out of a Battery. That will be one of our first major changes,to start changing out those hi power heat generating lites to LEDs. Ever been in one of the RWs on display with all the lights on, don't need the furnace unless it get really cold. I don't need to run the AC to get rid of heat from those lights.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Site Team

I think that's going to top on my list too...changing all the lights to LED so they don't attract the bugs. With all those lights it'd be like bug heaven
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #12

If you are dry camping you can go to self contained battery powered LED lanterns and move from room to room without lighting up half the forest with your Redwood!

BradPAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
If you are dry camping you can go to self contained battery powered LED lanterns and move from room to room without lighting up half the forest with your Redwood!

CAREFUL....you might wake up bigfootah
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #14

We intend to do plenty of dry camping in our RW. It's just a matter of conserving energy and being prepared. Minimize the use of your lights inside and out will help. Also typically we will only turn on the heat for limited timeframes if it us cold out. Hand wash your dishes and line dry cloths. I also added a 2nd battery and a solar panel to my unit. Solar along with good 6v batteries and inverters can cover most any dry camping needs including going completely off the grid. Of course you need some sunny days sprinkled in. Here is a link to an extensive article a guy wrote about RV solar, batteries, etc. He is a perfectionist, but the point is you can dry camp in a 5th wheel such as Redwood until the cows come home or your pushing up daisies .https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

No fear here about dry camping in a Redwood.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #15

Bigfoot nothing I'd be card to wake the neighbors they might get testy.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder
We intend to do plenty of dry camping in our RW. It's just a matter of conserving energy and being prepared. Minimize the use of your lights inside and out will help. Also typically we will only turn on the heat for limited timeframes if it us cold out. Hand wash your dishes and line dry cloths. I also added a 2nd battery and a solar panel to my unit. Solar along with good 6v batteries and inverters can cover most any dry camping needs including going completely off the grid. Of course you need some sunny days sprinkled in. Here is a link to an extensive article a guy wrote about RV solar, batteries, etc. He is a perfectionist, but the point is you can dry camp in a 5th wheel such as Redwood until the cows come home or your pushing up daisies .https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

No fear here about dry camping in a Redwood.

That's great and I hope you enjoy yourself!

Me on the other hand...AL Gore would NOT like the way I camp. I like my Jack over ice and my beer cold. Seriously, I'm not making light of what you said or the way that you camp, because I too enjoy nature and have dry camped many times. But now I'm close to retirement, burn a lot of diesel and enjoy a VERY large carbon foot print. So If I ever camp next to you simply wave and smile and we'll stretch a extenion cord over to ya while I run my generator full bore. You could drink some of my cold beer and charge your battries at the same time....now that's a party.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #17

You said it Dave.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #18

It seems like when I dry camp it is usually at a disaster area where there is now facilities at all so when I go dry camp to get away from everything and everybody my genset will work hard and it better keep up I to like my whisky on ice and my wine chilled.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
Site Team

Seriously...I used to dry camp in the mountains. My dad and I used to go up in the Rockies to deliberatly get snowbound. We had all the right gear and guns, we carried enough food to last us 30 days and it was some good father/son bonding. Then when my wife and I met as teenagers my folks had a cabin in the woods without any running water and it was heated with a pot-belly stove. I really like camping in the winter because you usually have the parks to yourself.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #20

Sounds like you good 'ol boys aren't card carrying members of the Sierra Club...
I grew up in Alberta and camped all seasons... winter was best... no bugs, no brats... COLD BEER. Then I started camping right after I got married with a 1976 Mercury Grand Marquis 460 4bbl pulling a 19' trailer... car was longer than the trailer and drank gasoline like a drunken sailor on shore leave!
Now 33 years later, I just bought me a hermetically sealed 40 foot full time living unit and a F350 Diesel Dually. We plan to rough it and make ice the old fashioned way... but that's about it!

Hope to see you all very soon.

BradPAjax is offline   Reply With Quote