Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #1

Avoiding the craziness - Baltimore -> Boston

I am currently outside of DC. Weather permitting will leave Sunday and need to get outside of Boston (Hingham) by sunset Monday evening. Any sage advice how to avoid the craziness around Philadelphia, New York and the other congestion in route? I don't know enough of the area to know what roads are good and what routes will be towing suicide!

Thanks in advance......
Old 10-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Ken - sent an email with info for Balto/Philly.
Piper Guy's Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

You're going to have to take I695 around Baltimore to I95 because of your propane tanks. Other than that, stay away from rush hour...assuming you want to travel during daylight hours and take the most direct route.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #4

OMG, I spent 2 weeks before we left Nashville (20-Sep) trying to figure out how to get around NYC and navigating our route to Boston, lost sleep, posting here, talked with friends that are from the area, and basically accepted it would be really bad but with the right timing could make it happen. Well I was wrong, driving through the New York area was worse than I ever expected!!

I expectation was it would be the road conditions beating up on my almost new 38FL (yes I'm protective of our new home), or some random bad weather that would make our transit unpleasant, well I was wrong, hands down, the two worst things EVER have been the New York drivers and the "stink bugs" in Virginia.

If anyone is thinking of going to the Shenandoah National Park I implore you please look up the "stink bug" infestation that is happening.

We lost 3 days first getting a vacuum and spray to get rid of them outside and inside of the camper. Even still we are still finding them days later inside. These are bad and apperantly getting worse.

I'd love to know if we are not the only RV'ers that have had encountered the "stink bug" issue.......

I always like to end on a positive note so I will say this about New York drivers, them make "Boston Drivers" look courtesy, respectful and at least a little safe drivers .

Travel safe and thanks everyones for your input.

Ken
Old 10-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #5

We park our rig near Skyline drive. The sting bugs are not as bad this year, believe it or not. When it heats up they come out of everywhere, but as soon as it starts cooling off they are gone. We use the bugzooka for them. They don't bother you, just creepy. Don't catch them and dump then down the toilet. You won't be happy with the "aroma" that seeps out. I agree with the trip up north, we lost dishes, coffee pot, and a tv driving up 95. Vowed never, ever do that again.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #6

So if this is not a bad year you are scaring me even more of what would be a bad year . The issue I was/am having is when it gets cold they seek heat in my camper, including the warm black rubber tubing around the slides both inside and out.

I think we have it under control but before we bring anything back from the camper into our S&B house we will go through everything to make sure we don't have a stow away and bring them into the other house.

On a positive note last night we turned on the fireplace and the smell shortly after was indisputably "stink bug". We fried the sucker. Fireplace 1/stink bug 0!