Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Alaska Trip

My wife and I have spent the last 7 summers working part time in West Yellowstone, MT. We love it here but are ready for a change. There is a job opportunity for us in Skagway, Alaska for next summer. Has anyone made the Alaska trip and what suggestions might you have.
Thanks
Mr Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:11 AM   #2

We were on a cruise that stopped in Skagway two years ago. That was our favorite of the 3 stops the ship made. We were planning an Alaska trip this year with our 30 ft bumper pull Arctic Fox. Instead we bought our RW38GK. My husband wants to make the trip next year with our RW if we can get the problems fixed and if it seems sound enough to make that long trip from California. Lucky you to have a job offer there.
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #3

A few years ago we made the trip from mid-Florida to Alaska (as far as Fairbanks) down the West Coast to see the Giant Redwoods and returned to Florida.
We were pulling our '12 36RL and didn't have a single problem, but we were well prepared, 17.5 H Goodyears and Mor/ryde IS suspension.
Since we don't have an Aux Fuel tank, I carried two 6 Gal containers between the tool box and 5er hitch and used them a few times.
The roads weren't nearly as bad as the horror stories you hear. Just take it easy and slow down and get over when you see a construction truck headed your way.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Alaska Trip

Thanks for the feedback. We are excited about the possibility of making the trip.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. You really made a long trip! You're ability to have it be problem free is encouraging. Hope we get to do the same next year.
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #6

Alaska Trip

We got our work agreement signed and returned it to our new employer in Skagway. Our start date is April 15, 2018. Not sure what the weather will hold in store for us at that time of year but we are excited about making the trip. I picked up a copy of the Milepost so going through it should keep me busy for awhile.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:20 AM   #7

Just a FYI...While crossing into Canada... NO and I mean NO...guns hand or long..pepper or bear spray..stun guns. Any type of arm is illegal and if searched and found you can be seized and charged. Sorry for coming across so strong but i saw a guy coming via Ontario last week with a Prevost being led away in cuffs and the tow truck hooking up the unit for that reason. On a good note all Federal CGs ae free this year as it is our 150th.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the tip. I have both pepper and bear spray that I keep in the truck for hiking here in Yellowstone. I had heard about the gun situation. What about food items? I get differing opinions from people.
Thanks, Tom
Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 AM   #9

food items from us to canada...oranges / grapefruit etc...tobacco 1 carton each...spirits 1 40 oz each or case of 24 beer
from canada to us...same as above plus beef and lamb
both ways...firewood (big fine), 10,000 cash per unit NOT per person better to calculate in canadian as it is less) 10k us = 13k cdn too much

also as a hint most cdn and us banks will issue a credit card in the other countries dollar. the reason is when u use a us card in canada (and vise versa)the credit card company screws you by 2 to 4%. also if you intend to buy canadian money do it at a bank not an exchange location they surcharge 5 to 10%. and if you say go into a McDs or gas station a lot will take your us at par and you are getting screwed by 30%
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 AM   #10

i noticed you are heading there april 15. you will need to winterize your unit during your travels. that time of year it can still freeze big time.
when we leave for Florida in December it needs to be winterized till we hit say Virginia. to winterize completely you need to
1--empty the hot water tank ( tape over the 2 switches inside)
2-empty the water filter in the belly
3-close the valve from the fresh water tank to the pump
4-in the wet area put the red valve on bypass
5-gentilly blow air through the lines (15 20 lb pressure) via water intake
6-don't forget to run the water in the fridge to blow out
7-now pump using the white hose "pink stuff" through the system
8-when all is running pink including the washer then drain all the pipes via the gravity valves under the unit. open the taps
9--open the fresh water tank drain valve
10--the gray and black tanks should be ok from all the pink

the reason to do it this way is blowing removes 95% of water. pumping pink gets rid of the balance. draining the pink saves the fittings as at -30 the pink can gell and crack a fitting
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 AM   #11

A note on the Credit Card Foreign Transaction Fee, check with your credit card company. Our GoodSam VISA charges a fee, while our GM Master Card doesn't. So when we cross into Canada, the VISA gets put away and the Master Card goes on top.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #12

Wayne...great tips. Thanks.

Always good to have at least one of you Canadians around the place.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote