Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Site Team

Winterizing water filter

Just a little note for some of the new folks. Don't forget to drain your water filter before you start sucking the pink stuff into your system.

If you're using air for blowing out the water lines, I believe you still have to dump out the filter (I've never used air for winterizing).

The water filter housing seems to be the first thing to freeze and break on these units.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #2

That's a good point Dave!

I guess last year when I had the factory one I just let it fill with antifreeze. This one I have now has a bypass valve so I can unscrew it, drain it, and leave it off while winterizing.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

I have always winterized by blowing out the lines, and yes, I empty the filter first, then screw it back on and then blow out the lines. The first year I forgot about the outside shower lines and the icemaker line. Luckily, we don't usually have extreme weather for a long period of time in Louisiana so it didn't cause a problem. I always drain the hot water heater and blow it out as well.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #4

I just read this post Dave and I use air to blow out the water. The first time I did it after blowing the lines down I removed the filter to dump the water and was quite surprised to find it was empty. I just blew them down the other day, I will remove the water filter and check it again, but I am sure it will be empty, will let you know what I find.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

WOW! Talk about reviving an old post....
I have always found water in my filter canister after blowing the lines.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

I checked the filter just now and there was only about a tablespoon of water left in it from the air blow down. Works on mine. As reviving old threads, I am fairly new to the Forum and learning a lot from you guys by these threads, I am sure there are others out there that can learn from these as well. Since I joined I have searched threads and asked questions and got a lot of help. I can't stress the point enough that us new users learn a lot from you older users. Atom Ant, Dave & Ginny and you Spindrift have contributed a lot of knowledge on here for us to learn. I hope you don't mind if I drag an old thread out of the spiderwebs now and then, I think it will help others besides me when they see them. I know I am so grateful to you Senior Members for all I have learned from you. I would never be able to thank you enough.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Well said Geo9350. As were just into our 3rd season as summer / weekend campers with no prior 5th wheel experience, this forum has been an invaluable resource. Too many names to list, but many on here are willing to help any way they can.

I don't always fare too well with the search function, so I never mind when old subjects get brought up again.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo9350 View Post
II hope you don't mind if I drag an old thread out of the spiderwebs now and then, I think it will help others besides me when they see them.
Heck no, Geo, ask away! When I first started to read the post, I flipped at the thought of someone needing to winterize in July.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to be a "cacher" would you? I think my aunt and uncle are in the Hall of Fame for the number of spots they've been to.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #9

Believe me, it kills me to have to winterize in July, but on the way home from Phoenix I had two blowouts on those cheap Marathon tires they put on my RV. I can't afford to order new ones from Titan yet so have to save up. Therefore, just in case I can't get right away I am winterizing because when I put the RV back in it's spot I can't open the slides except the bedroom and part way on the kitchen side. Makes it a bit hard to get around inside to do work. Yep, kills me to put away when there is a lot of great camping weather yet. Yes we do the Geocaching too. We even had one up in Utah, I closed it last summer because we won't be up there to maintain it anymore.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #10

Check your antifreeze from time to time as I think heat and time can turn the antifreeze thicker & gooey. Not sure what effect leaving it in there for almost a year.
I've been inside my RL between outings in summer when it was so hot in there the thermos were stuck at 99. And that's in CT.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote