Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 AM   #1

Winterizing

Greetings All,

Ok, call me cheap, but I am winterizing my rig myself. However, the simply instructions and video's that I made during the deliver of the rig just a few months ago, seem to not be working. We have a 2013 36RL. It has the pull out hose, the switch that turns the pump on, and we followed the drain processes. However I am not hooked up and am only working off the batteries.

When we took deliver the unit was winterized and I didn't clear the ice maker of antifreeze, but we took a nice trip and everything else was cleared.

With the pump on, I am hearing the movement of water which suggests things are not completely drained although I have followed all the instructions. With my built in antifreeze hose in the jug, I am getting no draw into any of the lines.

I have not removed the water filter mainly because the thing is hard as heck to get off and apparently my hands and forearms are just not strong enough.

Tips, suggestions....should I pull her out, hook her up to a power source, and go that route?

Thanks for all the tips and guidance!

Michael
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #2

First question: Did you close the valve between the water pump and the fresh water tank (should be visablelooking down from the water filter trap door. If you closed it, then you need to check for an air leak. Also some times you need to open a faucet to get the pump to prime.
OBTW, one of the first things I did was move the water filter closer to the door, plus replaced the OEM one with a clear one with the shut off on the top.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #3

Everything Michelle and Anne said. Usually for me when the pump does that, all I have to do is reach under and open one of the low point drains to relieve the pressure so the pump isn't dead-heading.

On ice maker, close the valve under the sink before you winterize. Sometime after you purge the kitchen sink, go out and unscrew the ice maker hose connection from the solenoid and let it hang. Open the valve inside to purge the ice maker line. Disconnect the heated fridge line from the solenoid and let it gravity drain. Put it all together and do it it that way in the spring with fresh water. Pink never gets up into the ice maker.

I moved my filter and installed one like Michelle and Ann with the clear jug and bypass valve on top so I don't have to antifreeze it.- just tried it out last week - nice.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06096.jpg (147.6 KB, 8 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:57 AM   #4

I am not sure about the valve between the water pump and fresh water tank....my filter is located in the storage area attached to a cheap block with one screw (what rocket scientist dreamed that one up?)....I will crawl around in there and see if I can find the value...the manual isn't much help...visuals help.

I've seen a few different mods on the water filter which will be a great spring project along with replacing the grab bar on the front door as a result of my bride deciding it was a good idea to push it over towards the slide, and then forget about it and retract the slide to the point that I had the fun experience of hearing a large "pop" of breaking plastic.... :-) But I do love my blonde bride so it just comes with the territory :-)
Old 10-27-2015, 01:01 AM   #5

Thanks Atom!....I am sure I will have questions...gotta race the slowly arriving cool temps, but just do not want issues since our rig is stored outdoors. Gotta cut cost where I can with 5 kids still living at home :-)

I will be in touch with the board I'm sure as I resolve this issue (first time I winterized my first rig it was smooth as silk), since nothing has gone right...weird...I must be getting dumber.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:18 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
It's called oldtimers
Old 10-27-2015, 01:27 AM   #7

Warren

I've read enough posts to know that almost every Redwood has the water filter mounted with only one screw. Ours included. I think we've all had to try and remount it so it won't wind up on the floor.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:30 AM   #8

That valve is down by the water pump, almost directly below the filter as a pointer. Once you find it the first time you can find it in the dark from them on.

My filter was in there too, but I got a wild hare to move it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:15 AM   #9

Actually our OEM filter in this MB was mounted pretty solid, just too far in to be reached by a normal person.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote