Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #1

Wheel Torque Surprise!

We were just getting ready to leave Dallas and travel to South Carolina to visit friends. As I normally do before hitting the road for a long trip, I check the wheel lugs for proper torque. When I checked the torque on the first wheel...the entire axle moved! The main spring that connects to to frame was completely broken in two...the rear of the spring was the only thing holding the axle on! How thankful I was for checking the wheels before departure. To add to the seriousness of the issue, the rear axle had a broken spring also, I'm sure from having to take on the additional weigh.

I couldn't find anyone who stocked the spring sets, but managed to find a spring shop in Ft Worth that custom made me two sets. I finished the install today, and we plan to leave for South Carolina tomorrow.

We have never over loaded our rig; however, over the last three years of full-timing, we have traveled on some terrible roads. I guess a "spring check" will now be a part of the departure checklist!

Bob
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:40 AM   #2

Wow!! Good and lucky catch.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:48 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Glad you caught it in time. It could have been ugly
Old 04-06-2016, 04:00 AM   #4

How did you get the weight off of the axles to change the springs?
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
How did you get the weight off of the axles to change the springs?
Our site was on a slight incline, and low on the side of the broken springs. The Level Up system took a lot of pressure off the axles. I blocked the frame in case of hydraulic failure, then used two axle jacks for adjusting the axles/springs for alignment. It really went pretty smoothly after I completed the first axle...I discovered there is a sequence you need to follow in order for everything to line up properly.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
Our site was on a slight incline, and low on the side of the broken springs. The Level Up system took a lot of pressure off the axles. I blocked the frame in case of hydraulic failure, then used two axle jacks for adjusting the axles/springs for alignment. It really went pretty smoothly after I completed the first axle...I discovered there is a sequence you need to follow in order for everything to line up properly.
Grizzby can you tell me the easy way of doing it. I need to remove my shackles so as to drill holes in the frame to mount my joy rider shocks?
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
Grizzby can you tell me the easy way of doing it. I need to remove my shackles so as to drill holes in the frame to mount my joy rider shocks?
I can only speak from my recent experience...some on the forum have already completed a shock install and may be a better source on specfic steps.

If it's just the shackles you need to remove, these are the steps I would take:

1. Raise the coach with the Level Up sys and place jack stands under the frame.

2. Use an axle jack to remove the wheel, and to take weigh off the axle.

3. Remove the bolts from the shackle and then lower the axle using the axle jack.

I'm not familiar with the shock installation process. However, I learned from my spring repair, the last thing you do is tighten up the u-bolts that hold the springs and axles together. With them loose, it allows for spring/axle movement for aligning the bolt holes.

I hope this helps. Again you might want to ask forum members who have actually completed a shock set install. Feel free to call me if you'd like.

Bob
Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

Does anyone know the actual torque spec for the lug nuts on the 8k axles?
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

Here is a link for Lipperts 8k axles.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ers-Manual.pdf

This covers them from 8K to 12K. On page 17 of the pdf it shows this chart.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lug Nut Torque.jpg (81.4 KB, 34 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
Here is a link for Lipperts 8k axles.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ers-Manual.pdf

This covers them from 8K to 12K. On page 17 of the pdf it shows this chart.

Chris
Thanks very much!

Wow I have the 8k with 17.5's. It shows 190-210 foot lbs. That is way more torque than I would have guessed.

Larry
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Site Team

This MUST be a mistake! I was told that Redwood doesn't have a spring problem.

Bob I'm glad you were able to find this before someone got hurt. Good Find!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
Thanks very much!

Wow I have the 8k with 17.5's. It shows 190-210 foot lbs. That is way more torque than I would have guessed.

Larry
I don't have the 8K so I'm just spit ballin' here. Make sure you're using the correct stud size. And I apologize if that point was already well understood.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:14 AM   #13

Just be careful, that 190-210 is for 5/8" studs, I think RWs only use 9/16" studs
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
This MUST be a mistake! I was told that Redwood doesn't have a spring problem.

Bob I'm glad you were able to find this before someone got hurt. Good Find!
Dave...at the Rally last year you told me of a RW losing an axle. Little did I know that I would come VERY close to having it happen to me! A frightening thought.

Bob
Old 04-07-2016, 03:19 AM   #15

Quote:
I can only speak from my recent experience...some on the forum have already completed a shock install and may be a better source on specfic steps.

If it's just the shackles you need to remove, these are the steps I would take:

1. Raise the coach with the Level Up sys and place jack stands under the frame.

2. Use an axle jack to remove the wheel, and to take weigh off the axle.

3. Remove the bolts from the shackle and then lower the axle using the axle jack.

I'm not familiar with the shock installation process. However, I learned from my spring repair, the last thing you do is tighten up the u-bolts that hold the springs and axles together. With them loose, it allows for spring/axle movement for aligning the bolt holes.

I hope this helps. Again you might want to ask forum members who have actually completed a shock set install. Feel free to call me if you'd like.

Bob
Thank you for the info. It will make things easer. I will install them this week end.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Dave...at the Rally last year you told me of a RW losing an axle. Little did I know that I would come VERY close to having it happen to me! A frightening thought.

Bob
Bob, there's been more than a few that have lost or came close to losing an axle. I've said before.......the Redwoods weakness is the suspension. With that said though......their second weakness is their disconnect and disrespect for the owners.

I'm really happy for you that you were able to find this problem before it became a serious safety issue
Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #17

All of this is part of the reason we wouldn't take delivery of our MB until RW sent it to Mor/ryde for the IS before going to paint.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
All of this is part of the reason we wouldn't take delivery of our MB until RW sent it to Mor/ryde for the IS before going to paint.
Very wise decision!

Bob
Old 04-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #19

You're not going to believe this one!!

Just went out to move the RW to storage after finishing a wash and wax. Did my usual walk-around prior to driving away and noticed a very narrow gap between the tires. Hmmm, I said. Maybe since the Level Up had the right side tires off the ground for leveling, that had something to do with it. Looked at the Equalizer and the spring shackles that attached to it were at very different angles. Looked at the other side...same thing. Hmmm, I said, WTH is going on. Got underneath and sure enough, broken spring! And just before we're getting ready for a 3,500 mile trip. Oh boy.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #20
Site Team

Tom, I'm glad you found it now before your trip. Just think of all that time you could have spent next to the highway begging for help, assuming that no one got hurt.

So you're pulling a 2013 Redwood. I guess I'm just lucky but prior to the Redwood, I had a few broken springs on semi trucks (before air ride) but never on a RV. These broken springs seem to be a plague for Redwood regardless of the age.