Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I have bin sitting here having a beer and have started tallying up all of the issues big and small that I have had with this piece of crap and it is starting to burn my britches. I have had 12 different rvs from a tent trailer Truck camper travel trailers and 5th wheels and have never had so many problems with any of the others and they cost a 1/ 3 of what this thing did. I'm ready to get rid of it and go back to a tent. At least with that there are no worries of doors that come apart batteries that burn up after 2 mths of use holding tanks falling out slide motors falling apart plugs and central vac not connected trim falling off fenders cracking and breaking where screws go in led lights burning out swintech slide module burning out valve stem nuts coming loose brakes shoes covered in grease air conditioners not put together properly tv quit after 2 weeks molding under overhang for pinbox screws rusted out and seperated and this is just some of it. Just look inside the basement take out a light fixture. Take down the belly pan apparently redwood can't afford a shop vac. At least with my canvas tent you put away dry put waterproofing on it 1 a year and your good to go. You know when you look at them they are real pretty bit having spent years working with old cars etc a good paint job will make a piece of s!!! Look real good
I am done with my day
Shane,
I am really concerned about some of these issues, and hate that you've had so many. I'm shooting you a private message to see what I can do to help.

Thanks!

Christian
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #42

That is cool Ken!

Shane,
sorry about your issues - hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel here!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #43

Shane
Sad thing is from what I read here in the forums we all feel your Pain. Some not as much as yours but sounds like at some point we all have second thoughts on our purchase. To be honest I am now little scared to pull mine very far. Originally when we purchased the RW our plans were to go south in the winter and spend spring, summer and fall in Pacific Northwest but work had a different plan. I will be here for at least 2 years before we can start that travel. I have a feeling by then I will get rid of the RW just don't feel it will hold up well and I don't want to spend all my free time working on it. We are Mainly in one location now with some weekend and week long travels and I have spent more time keeping this RW up than any RV I have owned. Last night after we returned from a weekend trip. I looked under the back and the Metal trim that holds the rear cap to the back has all come unscrewed and will need to be fixed. I looked this over and the screws go into the plastic underbelly and nothing else. All I could do was laugh thinking next project seems like every trip is something new.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #44

Ours is definitely NOT our retirement buggy like originally planned.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
I have bin sitting here having a beer and have started tallying up all of the issues big and small that I have had with this piece of crap and it is starting to burn my britches. I have had 12 different rvs from a tent trailer Truck camper travel trailers and 5th wheels and have never had so many problems with any of the others and they cost a 1/ 3 of what this thing did. I'm ready to get rid of it and go back to a tent. At least with that there are no worries of doors that come apart batteries that burn up after 2 mths of use holding tanks falling out slide motors falling apart plugs and central vac not connected trim falling off fenders cracking and breaking where screws go in led lights burning out swintech slide module burning out valve stem nuts coming loose brakes shoes covered in grease air conditioners not put together properly tv quit after 2 weeks molding under overhang for pinbox screws rusted out and seperated and this is just some of it. Just look inside the basement take out a light fixture. Take down the belly pan apparently redwood can't afford a shop vac. At least with my canvas tent you put away dry put waterproofing on it 1 a year and your good to go. You know when you look at them they are real pretty bit having spent years working with old cars etc a good paint job will make a piece of s!!! Look real good
I am done with my day
I'm sorry to hear about your frustration level. I used to say and think that all the manufactures were the same but I'm not convinced of that anymore. I will say that from what I've read on this forum, Redwood is making a serious effort to correct their issues which is great to hear.

I hope Redwood can help restore your confidence so you can enjoy your camping adventures.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #46

OK, maybe we're the odd ones, but other than the Washer Drain Hose issue, had no other major problems with our 2012 RL and we dragged it all the way to Alaska and back (35K miles in 3 years). There have been some minor issue with this 2016 MB, but the only serious issue was a bad cylinder for the Livingroom slide, but we made our Canadian Maritime trip not using that slide until we could get to the Factory (almost 10K miles on it since April).
Now I will add this: We upgraded to Mor/ryde IS and 17.5 GY 114s on the RL and had the same upgrade done to this MB before purchasing. So I wasn't afraid to tow either one anywhere we wanted to go.
Right now like crazy fools, we're parked here in the Outer Banks near Waves, NC.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:24 AM   #47

Quote:
I am done with my day
When we went to the Richmond RV show this past Feb. and saw our 39MB model on display with spotlights shining on that full body paint, glitzy lighting on the kitchen island, etc. & assurances from my salesman & factory rep. that Redwood's were designed to be tough "full time living" quality 5th wheels. Although my wife and I love the floor plan, urban clay cabinetry, etc. I can honestly say that I see a lack of quality control in the production of our Redwood the latest problem being water infiltrating thru our bedroom slide. HOW CAN A UNIT BE RELEASED FROM PRODUCTION TO TRANSPORT WITHOUT CAREFULLY CHECKING FOR LEAKS ESPECIALLY SLIDE ROOMS FIRST ? We have an appointment scheduled with our dealer concerning this issue....wish us luck!! My previous Forest River Cardinal taken on trade cost 1/2 and we had fewer issues. Beginning to wonder if "High End" really makes any difference in the RV industry? Not feeling very warm and fuzzy about my purchase right now either.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #48
Site Team

Unfortunatly, times have changed. It use to be that when you saw a rv made by the same company, you'd have something in common that was positive. Now you compare notes on what was broken and how the hell something got resolved.

Although most of the rv manufactures use the same componates I can assure you that not all the companies are the same. Don't drink the coolaid
Old 10-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I just had to vent when I was not in a good mood. I have not had a problem yet with redwood not backing the repair requests in fact they have bent over backwards for me. It just gets frustrating that when you think evrything is good something else pops up. I have no problem doing repairs or modifications. As I said before some of these issues are quality control at the factory but a lot are problems with suppliers items that redwood has no control over. Hopefully i have all the bugs out now
Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #50

Quote:
I just had to vent when I was not in a good mood. I have not had a problem yet with redwood not backing the repair requests in fact they have bent over backwards for me. It just gets frustrating that when you think evrything is good something else pops up. I have no problem doing repairs or modifications. As I said before some of these issues are quality control at the factory but a lot are problems with suppliers items that redwood has no control over. Hopefully i have all the bugs out now
Shane ,

Glad to hear you are already having a better day today! and hopefully even a better day tomorrow!
I am with you , it does get frustrating , but thats RV'ing... AND boating... in a nutshell... and it all can be made or broken with the factory support...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #51

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Thanks Joe
your right i have been rving boating biking and 4 wheeling for years. the only thing that has changed is quality control in almost all industries
Old 10-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #52

I truly think it's the sign of the times, no one wants to work anymore just get paid & don't give a damn of how their work turns out.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I truly think it's the sign of the times, no one wants to work anymore just get paid & don't give a damn of how their work turns out.
I agree 100% - - the hardest part of my job is now finding people that not only want to actually WORK for a living , but finding young kids ( not all) who don't feel as though we owe them something.. And picking out the ones who I hope will pan out to something more than a warm body collecting a check..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #54

Why should anyone work?

As soon as you get good at it and start to make a livable wage, the company moves production to another country to remain competitive and leaves the workforce to fend for themselves. There is no company loyalty to employees, so not a lot of loyalty or incentive the other way around either.

Workers aren't employees anymore, they are just a workforce with a cost/value that can be changed just as fast as it was created. The good old days of being a proud US worker is gone - along with pensions and benefits. We did it to ourselves. We make jokes about India and Mexico workforces making our parts, but they are relishing in what we used to have after WWII.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
I agree 100% - - the hardest part of my job is now finding people that not only want to actually WORK for a living , but finding young kids ( not all) who don't feel as though we owe them something.. And picking out the ones who I hope will pan out to something more than a warm body collecting a check..
I am an RN and have seen this country turn into a land of people who believe they are entitled just because they live in America. Many can still physically work, but chose not to relying on the government to provide for their needs. Many patients only have Medicaid, which is insurance you and I pay for. Instead of these patients being grateful, many are very demanding, and often just don't show up for appointments. Which is costly for a medical facility. Don't get me wrong, as a nurse I enjoy helping people, and believe people who TRUELY need help should be helped with their medical treatment and care.
Another disconcerting growing trend I have been noticing is a large percentage of patients, at a young age, have made, and continue to make poor health decisions. Which will turn into a long term medical financial drain as these unwilling to change their poor health practice patients get sicker.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:46 AM   #56

Some where I think this thread got off track. I washed and cleaned the RW today and treated the roof. Added insulation to water bay and a Temp sensor so I can keep an eye on the temps this winter.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:48 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
I am an RN and have seen this country turn into a land of people who believe they are entitled just because they live in America. Many can still physically work, but chose not to relying on the government to provide for their needs. Many patients only have Medicaid, which is insurance you and I pay for. Instead of these patients being grateful, many are very demanding, and often just don't show up for appointments. Which is costly for a medical facility. Don't get me wrong, as a nurse I enjoy helping people, and believe people who TRUELY need help should be helped with their medical treatment and care.
Another disconcerting growing trend I have been noticing is a large percentage of patients, at a young age, have made, and continue to make poor health decisions. Which will turn into a long term medical financial drain as these unwilling to change their poor health practice patients get sicker.
i'm 30 years old work very hard for my money and also respect what the elder has for experience to pass on, I do work for my money and yes I do have a comfortable living I live in a RV full time even under -30F sure.. but I also own beach property in south of Chile or my temporary home in salt lake city.
I have to say that most of the guys we hire want to live the pipeline dream and make 1000s of dollars with no college background or education what so ever or even better said WORK.. we fire about 8 guys a week and keep about 1 or 2 a month.
reason: the just want a free paycheck?? what happens when you fire someone the laugh at your face and say unemployment will take care of them.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:52 AM   #58
Site Team

My wife works really hard.........and I really enjoy the proceeds. She's a good woman
Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 AM   #59

I finally rewired the battery cutoff switch so now it does cut power to everything. My batteries would drain down after 2 weeks of not been hooked up to shore power. Hope this helps this winter when The Redwood Lodge goes into storage.
2013 36FL, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000, Stacked W/D, Heat pump, Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel Pin Box, 2016 3500 Ram Longhorn Edition Crew Cab 4x4, 50 gal auxilliary tank, 5000 Airlift bags, 26K Husky hitch
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:24 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by riciren View Post
I finally rewired the battery cutoff switch so now it does cut power to everything. My batteries would drain down after 2 weeks of not been hooked up to shore power. Hope this helps this winter when The Redwood Lodge goes into storage.
I did the same. Added a second cut off switch. My batteries would be dead in less than a week. I plan to use a solar trickle charger during the winter to keep my batteries up.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote