Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Wax

What brand of wax are owners of non full body paint using on their Redwoods, I waxed mine with wax purchased at camping world and the sides of the Redwood look worse than before I waxed it. I faithfully wax twice a year sometimes 3 times.
2013 36FL, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000, Stacked W/D, Heat pump, Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel Pin Box, 2016 3500 Ram Longhorn Edition Crew Cab 4x4, 50 gal auxilliary tank, 5000 Airlift bags, 26K Husky hitch
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #2

I own a 2016 Sequoia 38 GKS. Our unit is "partial paint" (i.e. a mix of gel coat and paint). We have yet to wax the entire coach except with a product called "Carnauba Wash & Wax" that washes and waxes at the same time. This is a quick way to get some wax on there. We have done this twice since ownership.

Having said all that, we did just wax the front and rear caps with Meguiar's 50 Marine/RV Cleaner Wax. This stuff worked great! It is non-abrasive so it is safe to use. We used the cleaner wax because the front cap was showing signs of oxidation (felt rough to the touch).

Our plan is to follow up next year with a pure wax (Meguiar's 56 Marine/RV Pure Wax) and do this to the entire coach.

I have read that even though this wax is for Marine/RV, it can be used on auto paint also. Having said that, if my entire coach was full body paint, I would probably go ahead and use an automotive wax instead.

I used this stuff on the decals also. I have to say that I am a bit nervous about that but I just did it very carefully. By the way, I do not use a machine polisher. I do it all by hand. I have also read that some folk use Aerospace 303 on their decals instead. I might try that next time. I don't know.

-Mike
Mike&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #3

So I just chatted with a support person at Meguiar's Website and asked about what to use on decals. The support person told me that I should not use the cleaner wax (#50) or pure wax (#56) on my decals. I should use Meguiar's #59 Marine/RV Quik Wax Clean & Protect. This is a spray on wax. You just spray and wipe.

The support guy told me that if I keep using the other stuff that it could affect the adhesive for the decals over time. I only did this once so I should be ok. . Lesson learned.
Mike&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #4

When I had my NON painted/Gelcoat Rv I used New Finish.. in the Orange bottle . . Easy on . . . Easy off and lasts a few months....

I also used Aerospace 303 on ALL my decals, they looked brand new the day I trader her in at 8 years..

I keep a bottle or 2 around now and use it on ALL my plastic items... AC Roof vents that are black... Any Exposed plastic...slam latch handles, ect...

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 PM   #5

I was given a bottle of New Finish by an RV friend and it worked, but I finished the bottle and went to camping world to buy some wax to finish up. Should have kept using the New Finish.
2013 36FL, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000, Stacked W/D, Heat pump, Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel Pin Box, 2016 3500 Ram Longhorn Edition Crew Cab 4x4, 50 gal auxilliary tank, 5000 Airlift bags, 26K Husky hitch
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:31 AM   #6

when I first bought my RW I asked RW what type of wax to use and they said to use marine and rv wax only. they said the automotive my turn the colors yellowish. I use Maguire's polish and then the wax. I use it with a D/A buffer I bought it on Auto Geek .com it's the best thing I ever bought.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #7

I highly recommend all the 303 products for painted and non-painted surfaces. Also some of the specialized pro quality paste waxes for fiberglass work very well but apply with an electric buffer for better results. Then you can use 303 on the decals.
FTWANNABEES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:22 AM   #8

I've never used anything but Meguiars cleaner/wax on my 2013. The decals are still fine. It's also been year round in the Florida sun for 2 years.

Mark
Old 11-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #9

Yes there are a lot of good products out there now for sure and Meguiars is great one.
FTWANNABEES is offline   Reply With Quote