Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Water Damage-Bedroom Slides

I have a 2015 Carriage, by Crossroads. It is model 40RL and it is virtually the same unit as a Redwood 38RL. The bedroom slides are cable operated, not Schwintek. The plywood flooring got wet and rotted out. Our rv repairman is having getting the replacement plastic covering that the rollers slide on (it is broken and must be replaced). Do the Redwood units use that same plastic sheeting under the bedroom slides? Keystone claims it is a very old trailer and they don't have parts for it. The local dealers don't want to tackle the job. So, right now, I'm stuck until we can find that plastic sheeting.

Fred
bull_chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:17 AM   #2

I would think you could get by without it. Use plywood instead of OSB board. Then use a good paint or sealer. Maybe a marine coating.
Mark
Old 10-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #3

Bull, question for you: Do you have an external wiper seal on the bottom side of that slide?? We have a very early 2016 39MB and we don't have an external wiper seal, and if the wind is blowing the rain in the right direction we get a damp floor in the corners of the bed slide, plus I can see day light in the corners. I've taken to wedging a section of old 5/8" hose up in there.
I've looked at new units and they don't have an external wiper, but the slide opening is beveled upwards to keep water from running inside.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

I've replaced the bedroom slide with Baltic Birch plywood and applied several coats of marine grade black paint. Installed aluminum plates for rollers to run on rather than directly on the plywood surface. Tried to source out this material with no luck. Any water that happens to leak by the trims silicone just gets trapped inside this plastic covering.

Regards, Gerard

20180729_155727.jpg

20180807_201400.jpg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
I've replaced the bedroom slide with Baltic Birch plywood and applied several coats of marine grade black paint. Installed aluminum plates for rollers to run on rather than directly on the plywood surface. Tried to source out this material with no luck. Any water that happens to leak by the trims silicone just gets trapped inside this plastic covering.

Regards, Gerard

Attachment 3937

Attachment 3938
Nice Job, I agree the sheet of PVC seams to trap water and cause a bigger issue. I have a small spot on My RL-38 that I have been keeping a close eye on. I had a piece of trim letting water behind it and getting in the wall. currently the area is about 5" where its soft and hasn't got any bigger in a year. having a slide topper that was as wide as the roof would have help stop the issue. For what ever reason the slide toppers on our unit are 1-2" shorter then the roof , Not sure if its factory or dealer but I am replacing them one every year so the water runs past the roof and onto the ground.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:41 PM   #6

I’m going to talk with my RV repair guy and see if they are willing to make the repair without the plastic. Some type of marine plywood and marine epoxy paint should do the job. Add the metal plates for the rollers.

Michelle&Ann I do have two seals an inner and outer.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #7

I'm going to do mine sometime this winter. I found a source for 1" plywood, but can't find 12'. I will have to use 2 peices. I'm going to use a paint or sealer of some kind. I haven't decided about the strips.
Mark
Old 07-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #8

We have a 2019 3901MB and the bedroom Closets have a musty, damp smell. Always have. I keep Damp Rid in there just to try to keep up with the problem. Any thoughts? They are not on a slide. A window and TV Space separates the twin units.
brenda.taylor59@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote