Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Forum members,Redwood Customer Service or Redwood Engineering,

My curiosity got the best of me and now I have a question. Related to my 2012 36RL, I have observed for some time that there is a 5 inch square piece of paneling mountedon the wall behind the bedroom TV. I decided this evening to remove the 4 screws holding the small panel to see if there was something hidden behind it. What I found was a nicely cut 4 inch diameter hole givin access behind the TV mounting wall. Looking inside with a flashlight, I found the electrical cables for the 120 VAC for the outlets for the TV. I also found a seperate,small 6 conductor cable with a small rectangular, 6 terminalconnector. The cable is approximately 36 to 42 inches long and it comes down from the ceiling area behind the TV mounting wall.

My question is: Does anyone have any idea what it's intend use would be? Someone went to a lot of trouble to make up a cable like that. There does not seem to be anything in the area that it connects to, at least not that I can see. This may be a question for Redwood engineering but thought I would try here first.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Guy,

It sounds likeit's the control cable for a Winegard Satellite controller. It comes as part of the "Satellite-Ready" feature that Redwoodincludes with the unit. It's usually in the cabinet to the right of the bedroom TV (where the booster is) on the RL. I used it for theSK-3005 HD dish that I installed.

The other end terminates at the dish. It's on the roof under the frontbulkhead (there are two)on the curbside rear ofthe coach. If you decide to install one of these in the future,check out my other postings on this subject. Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Guy,

It sounds likeit's the control cable for a Winegard Satellite controller. It comes as part of the "Satellite-Ready" feature that Redwoodincludes with the unit. It's usually in the cabinet to the right of the bedroom TV (where the booster is) on the RL. I used it for theSK-3005 HD dish that I installed.

The other end terminates at the dish. It's on the roof under the frontbulkhead (there are two)on the curbside rear ofthe coach. If you decide to install one of these in the future,check out my other postings on this subject.

5th_Time,

You may well be right. I hadn't thought about that possibility. Whatdoesthe controller actually do? When I discovered the cable, I also discovered the cable way feeding through into the cabinet to the right of the TV and also that there was AC outlet in that cabinet. Ithought maybe it was for a 2cd DVD player to play throught the bedroom TV. I hadn't thought about a satellite controller. It sure would be nice if Redwood would provide some information to the dealers and customers about what is in these trailers. It would be such a small thingthat would make everyone alot happier about their purchase.

When we picked up our coach, I had the dealer install a Winegard Roadtrip Mini-max satellite dish on the trailer roof. It connects to Dish receiver by RG6 cable only. I just recently, during July, traced out all my TV cabling in order to set up operation for the Dish receiver and satellite dish. But, I had to spend a few hours tracing out all the cables, none of which were properly identified by the dealership servicetechnician. That now works quite well.

Thanks for the information.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote