Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #1

Trim piece replacement

I don't even know what it's called..........I've lost the plastic insert that covers the mounting screw securing the overhang covering on either side of the pin box. I'm struggling with even knowing how to describe it. One came our coming down to AZ in October, and the one on the other side will come out soon. They look like they have shrunk over time (close to 7 years). I'll include a couple of photos and hope someone on here has already done this. I've tried for a couple of hours now and just can't figure out how to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0100.jpg (106.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9183.jpg (180.5 KB, 18 views)

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #2

Jim, That piece is called screw cover or insert. Many colors available, white, black, beige. Yes they shrink. On our Full body paint both sides have pulled tight and have started to come out of the trim. Since the pieces are painted I had to pull them to their original positions in order for the paint lines to match up. I used a clear sealant underneath the trim in several places and used the blue or green painters tapes to hold them in place until the adhesive cured. If stretched tight when applying they will come out of the track for sure. Happens to almost all RVs at one time or another. The hot sun will soften the trim, traveling at 65 mph blows under the trim and there you go. Cold causes the trim to tighten and shrink also. Difficult balance for sure.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #3

The strips are readily available. Any decent RV shop will have them. The just pop in. I had to replace one last month as it had shrunk and came out at the curve.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #4

Trim Piece replacement

Yes, They all shrink over time. There is usually a screw in the end of the strip and the rest is just "held in" by the moulding edges. You'll need to remove the screw when replacing the strip and leave the new piece as long as you can so that there is some room for shrinkage.

Retired and happy
Mike & Lizzy
2013 36FB Black & Silver w/ 2018 F350 Lariat LWB DRW Powerstroke
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote