Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
Sorry to here you had a blow out John. Glad she was able to get off the road safely with out anything else happening.

I just don't under stand why manufactures like Redwood don't dump the lower rated tires and make the G rated tire standard with the option of a 17.5" wheel and tire for heavier 5er's. I just don't not understand why a manufacture would subject themselves to the ridicule of a safety matter like fixing a tire blowout .

Alot of people think the tire blows out because of the highway speed's and I know that most are only rated for 60 MPH. But from all the checking that I did pryer to ordering our Redwood. Alot of it is from extreme tire scrub that we subject our coaches to backing into and pulling out of where we park our coaches. Tires like the Marathon have a steel belt on the tread side of the tire and has cloth belt on the side walls of the tire. Where as the Goodyear G rated tire has a steel belt where the tread is and also has steal belt on the side walls. Thus making it more suited for the weight and side loads that we all subject our tires to from time to time backing into and pulling out of our sites. I was told by my tire guy that tires like the Marathon tires blow because they get damaged because ofthe heavy weight andturning. Our coaches can be turned very sharp and the tires side walls actually tear from the tires scrubbing when jack knifing into and out of our sites. Most times not showing any damage until reaching high way speeds. Then the big blow out causing alot of damage. If you ever get a chance to feel the difference in tires before they get mounted you will say to your self why do they even offer such a light weight tire. The G rated tire weights about twice what the Marathon tire weights. I feel if the 5er can be towed with a 1/2 ton pickup then you could probably get away with the Marathon type tires because of the low weigh of the 5er. But for anything the size of our coaches it should be a no brainer for the manufactures. G rated tires standard and the 17.5 wheel and tire combo as a option. The $2200 to $2500 more for a standard Redwood to make a safety item like G rated tires standard should make the buyer happier to think the manufacture is actually thinking more about their customer safety then the bottom line. Just my 2 cents.

UNDRPSI,

I agree with your comments completely. Prior to making our decision to buy our 36RL, I spent alot of time on the NUWA (HitchHiker) forum researching information about tires and axels.One of the biggest issues and concerns that HitchHiker owners had was Goodyear Marathon tires. Most everyone preferred at least the Goodyear G rated tires and rims. Many preferred to go with the 17.5 inch, H rated tires. I decidedon the G rated tires when we ordered our coach. I felt this was the minimum tire rating that should be used on these Redwoods and I also had them balanced at the time of purchase.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz
I've had the TST Truck System Technologies 706-531-0044, for four years. just transfered it over to the RW. It has payed for it self, more than once.

lillyputz

lillyputz,

I like the TST system that you recommended. It appears to be one of the better systems that I have been able to find and I think I will be ordering the system before we start traveling more this next year. Thanks for the recommendation.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #23

I still have the Marathons on my unit, but only have about 4k on them. I'm really concerned about sticking with them when we go full time this coming Spring. I think it is time for me to start negotiating with RW and the dealer to get G tires and rims. Unexpected blow outs with new tires/low miles is unacceptable. When I purchased my RW from the dealer there was no mention of tire options. Glad to hear the people who have recently experienced blowouts, did so without injury to themselves and others. I've always have believed that tires and brakes are the most important safety feature on any type of vehicle rolling down the road. Redwood this one rests on your shoulders! The solution is easy. Drop the Marathons on all your products
Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
Sorry to here you had a blow out John. Glad she was able to get off the road safely with out anything else happening.
I just don't under stand why manufactures like Redwood don't dump the lower rated tires and make the G rated tire standard with the option of a 17.5" wheel and tire for heavier 5er's. I just don't not understand why a manufacture would subject themselves to the ridicule of a safety matter like fixing a tire blowout .
Alot of people think the tire blows out because of the highway speed's and I know that most are only rated for 60 MPH. But from all the checking that I did pryer to ordering our Redwood. Alot of it is from extreme tire scrub that we subject our coaches to backing into and pulling out of where we park our coaches. Tires like the Marathon have a steel belt on the tread side of the tire and has cloth belt on the side walls of the tire. Where as the Goodyear G rated tire has a steel belt where the tread is and also has steal belt on the side walls. Thus making it more suited for the weight and side loads that we all subject our tires to from time to time backing into and pulling out of our sites. I was told by my tire guy that tires like the Marathon tires blow because they get damaged because of</span>the heavy weight andturning. Our coaches can be turned very sharp and the tires side walls actually tear from the tires scrubbing when jack knifing into and out of our sites</span>. Most times not showing any damage until reaching high way speeds. Then the big blow out causing alot of damage. If you ever get a chance to feel the difference in tires before they get mounted you will say to your self why do they even offer such a light weight tire. The G rated tire weights about twice what the Marathon tire weights. I feel if the 5er can be towed with a 1/2 ton pickup then you could probably get away with the Marathon type tires because of the low weigh of the 5er. But for anything the size of our coaches it should be a no brainer for the manufactures. G rated tires standard and the 17.5 wheel and tire combo as a option. The $2200 to $2500 more for a standard Redwood to make a safety item like G rated tires standard should make the buyer happier to think the manufacture is actually thinking more about their customer safety then the bottom line. Just my 2 cents.</span>
I agree completely!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #25

I just installed the TST system on my RW. Very straight forward installation and everything appears to be monitoring fine. After reading this post, I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this system.
Kevin & Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #26

Here's a brain twister for you all. I have the Tire Tracker system on my 36FL and it's worked fine for weeks. Then one day one of the tires was showing 117 psi whie the others reading at 100 psi give or take a pound. I figured it was a fluke of some sort so I got my tire gauge out and checked it... sure enough that one tire was reading 117psi. Here's the brain twister part.
I had set the pressure to 100 psi in all four tires when I installed the TPMS. I know the pressure was accurate because while I was at an Escapees rally I had my tire pressure gauge checked against a certified gauge and it was only 1 psi different. The TPMS showed all four tires to be at 100 psi +- for several weeks before this incident.
So what do you think?? Was there a mad man in the park sneaking around and adding air to people's tires?? I'm at a loss to explain it.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #27

freakin air fairy
Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #28

Mystery case. don't you hate it.

Lillyputz
Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #29

Dean (aka sinder) if you're thinking towards spring to upgrade to the heavier wheels and G rated tires, let me know because I'm making plans to upgrade to the MorRyde IS system and will install 17.5" wheels and H rated tires (presently have the G614s)because our unit came from the Factory heavy and with all our junk on board we're even heavier, like slightly over gross and want a heavy duty suspension system and tires before our summer long trip in 2014.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
Here's a brain twister for you all. I have the Tire Tracker system on my 36FL and it's worked fine for weeks. Then one day one of the tires was showing 117 psi whie the others reading at 100 psi give or take a pound. I figured it was a fluke of some sort so I got my tire gauge out and checked it... sure enough that one tire was reading 117psi. Here's the brain twister part.
I had set the pressure to 100 psi in all four tires when I installed the TPMS. I know the pressure was accurate because while I was at an Escapees rally I had my tire pressure gauge checked against a certified gauge and it was only 1 psi different. The TPMS showed all four tires to be at 100 psi +- for several weeks before this incident.
So what do you think?? Was there a mad man in the park sneaking around and adding air to people's tires?? I'm at a loss to explain it.
I'd be interested to see what the cold pressure was in that tire. If it is down to 100 when cold then I would start looking for reasons for that tire heating up like a bad brake or bearing.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #31

mhs4771 thank you for the offer. I will let you know.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #32

Are you going back to the factory for the upgrade or to an authorized dealer. I am asking due to warranty concerns
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #33

After reading this thread, it just confirms that I made the right choice by adding the G-rated tires to my order back in April. So far, I have 4 trips logged with my coach and the tires have been flawless. I hope this continues... I am surprised that Redwood just does not make the G-Rated tires standard on the coach and factors them into the MSRP. I do not think that a load range E tire is up to the challenge of a Redwood and the current condition of many of our interstates across the country.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #34

I'm going to start my tire discussion with the factory first.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #35

I am makeing my appointment with MorRyde in Elkhart and the work will be done in there plant there. It's a two day process, but they give you a key to the shop so you can sleep in your rig inside their shop. They have 30 amp service and cable TV avail in the shop (had the upgrade done to our Montana last year). And MorRyde can set us up with the 17.5 wheels and Goodyear G114 H rated tires, but they won't give any allowance for the current 16" wheels and Goodyear G614s.
I had asked Brian about the 8K axles before our unit was built and he talked us out of them, sorry I didn't go with my gut feeling and go with them, but in hind site, the MorRyde IS is a much better system than the solid axles. The Montana rode so much better, if we forgot to store something it didn't make much difference as it would still be sitting in the same spot.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

I am makeing my appointment with MorRyde in Elkhart and the work will be done in there plant there. It's a two day process, but they give you a key to the shop so you can sleep in your rig inside their shop. They have 30 amp service and cable TV avail in the shop (had the upgrade done to our Montana last year). And MorRyde can set us up with the 17.5 wheels and Goodyear G114 H rated tires, but they won't give any allowance for the current 16" wheels and Goodyear G614s.
I had asked Brian about the 8K axles before our unit was built and he talked us out of them, sorry I didn't go with my gut feeling and go with them, but in hind site, the MorRyde IS is a much better system than the solid axles. The Montana rode so much better, if we forgot to store something it didn't make much difference as it would still be sitting in the same spot.
What does the MorRyde cost?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #37

I wished Redwood would offer this as a option as I would have had it. Hopefully now we can get it at a later date. YES! More info would be great!

Edited by: UNDRPSI

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson

Was the sun hitting only this tire? That could have raised the tire pressure. Air has moisture in it and when the sun hit the tire, air pressure increases alot. Just a thought.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #39

Nope... it was morning on the trailer was facing north so the sun wasn't shining on any of the tires... I think the air fairy theory is the best explanation so far.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #40

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

mhhs... maybe someone who has a RW would be interested in purchasing your G rated tires and wheels...Don't just leave them with More Ryde
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote