Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

We are looking at the Redwood and would hope to get 2 AC Heat pumps. Is the furnace and ACs integrated into a single thermostat? I keep seeing a feature pick with a small dometic thermostat above an antique mercury switch furnace thermostat.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #2

I have a bedroom stat it controls the most forward air and heat pump and the living area controls the rear air and heat pump and the furnace. If you want two pumps make sure to order two and that the dealer understands
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

So they quit using the old style thermostat for the furnace?

I don't mind if the thermostats are split between front and rear ACs/heat pumps, but having the furnace on a separeate thermostat from any of the rest defeats the ability to have it integrate directly whith the heat pump when its too cold to run the heat pumps. I was hoping when the temp drops and the heat pump isn't keeping up that it would automatically roll to the furnace and shut down the heat pump like some motorhomes do and like our house does.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

That only happens when the living area heat pump freezes up you need to switch to gas if temps get below 40
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

But does it switch automatically or is the furnace on another thermostat
Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Same thermostat but a different switch (or setting). You have to manually switch this setting.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #7

If you have the thermostat set on electric heat and it cann't keep up with the heating requirments, the furnace will kick in. There is a long description in the thermostat booklet on how it works, but the short of it is if the heat pump won't keep the temperature to the set degree, the furnace kicks in and brings it up to temp. When it calls for heat again, the heat pump will try to bring it up to temp and if it cann't the furnace kicks in again. It goes through this series 3 times and than locks out the heat pump for over an hour. After this it tries the heat pump again and goes through the same procedure. If we need heat and are on electric we leave it there even if the furnace kicks in unless we know that there is no way that the heat pump will be able to handle it in the near future. Than we will switch it over to gas.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Site Team

I'm going to have to check mine out. My wife better get busy and read some of these manuals
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

atom ant good luck on getting two heat pumps. We ordered our 36RL from the factory with two heat pumps and they only installed one in the rear. I was told by the dealer the factory does not install two heat and never have. Was I being had by the dealer? We are in Texas and it isn't that cold so we run the heat pump as much as possible. We have found it transfers automatically to the furnace most of the time but sometimes we wake up and we are getting cold air from the heat pump because it froze. I have been trying to talk the wife into going to furnace at night so I won't have to get up but right now thats 50/50 but making headway. The thing that bothers me is the front and rear air conditioners aare ducted seprately for air but ducted together for heat pump so why can't I have two heat pumps? Love my rig wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #10

Is it true that the 2 ac's are ducted separately?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #11

I would say if they are it must be something unique with Heat Pumps. We didn't order the Heat Pump option, but we do have two ACs and they both feed into the same duct work. So if it's warm, but not hot, we can run just one AC and get cool air out of every AC outlet, and if really hot we run both and get increased cool air flow.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #12

It appears some of you have two heat pumps. I was told the factory would not install them. That's why I only got one. If I had two, my problem of freezing up would be solved. One pump will not keep this rig warm and it's over working it. I was also told they were ducted seprately which I am beginning to wonder about. Does anyone have a good contact at Redwood and phone number of customer service. I have looked all over the home page and cannot find one. I need to contact them directly and find out the truth.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #13

The truth some dealers can't handle the truth just tell your dealer to call Brian I ordered two and that's what I got my 36RL was built in Sept of 2012 if your looking at one in stock if the Bedroom Stat has a heat position on the switch it has a second heat pump
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Site Team

I thought I was getting 2 heat pumps but ended up with one. We love the heat pump but they don't work if it gets down into the mid 30's. Between the fireplace, the heat pump and the electric hot water heater, we use a lot less LP.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #15

Thnx! That's what I thought -- that's why I was surprised at the post saying they were ducted separately!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
Site Team

Mine are all ducted together. If I'm camping at a 30 amp site I still get cold air through all the duct work it just has less air flow. When I kick on the second a/c unit I simply get more cold air. When the heat pump is on it still heats the bedroom of my RL as well.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #17

I have a heat pump on one of my A/C units but I rarely use it. My furnace works so well I have never felt a need to turn on the heat pump. Those of you that use your heat pump a lot please tell me why you choose this over the furnace? I must be missing something. I feel like the purchase of the heat pump option may not have been a good idea.
I am very glad that I did not order two heat pumps. The furnace works very well.
Sailorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #18

Easy one. Heat pump runs on electricity and furnace on propane. Unless you are on metered power, heat pump a lot cheaper to operate
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
Site Team

Yep....I agree with Campers. LP is sometimes hard to get or just an inconvenience. At most campgrounds the electricity is included in the price so you might as well use it.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #20

The heat pumps don't seem the dry the air as must as the gas