Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 AM   #1

Stationary RVing in hurricane zones

Have any of you living fulltime in your Redwood in the hurricane zone though about tying you fifth wheel down to secure it from the wind and possibly being rolled over and destroyed in a gust? Well, after checking with my insurance provider and going over our policy, which included "stationary" coverage, I decided to tie ours down according to HUD's requirement for tying mobile homes down for hurricanes. The main reason for doing so, is due to the recent news that my stage four SCC (cancer) is back in my neck and throat, and has been deemed non-curable by Moffitt Cancer Center, therefore they've only given me six months to a year left to live before the cancer ends my life. Not knowing how quickly my health will decline, I'm not sure that I'll have the ability at the time to break the RV down and pull it out of harm's way if a hurricane approaches our area of central Florida where we reside year round at the state trailhead and campground we manage for Florida. My wife is going to have her hands full when I get sicker (I currently care for all my health needs, etc. and still hold a full time job with the state) just trying to manage this place on her own, care for me, and then have to worry about relocating our Redwood temporarily and then set it back up under our RV cover alone.

So, I designed this easy to install tie down system that is HUD compliant using materials and components that all meet or exceed HUD's minimum working load limit of 3150 lbs WLL. I installed 36" long drive in mobile home anchors in 250 lbs (each) of poured concrete. Then I installed four Tie Down Engineering frame clamps (used for longitudinal bracing and chain tie down securement of mobile home frames) at key points along the bottom flange of the RV frame's I-beams. In addition to heavy grade eye bolts through unused holes in the mounting brackets for both the front and rear hydraulic landing gear on the RV. I then used 5/16" Grade 70 cargo chain(s) to secure the frame of the fifth wheel to the ground anchors. I used heavy duty double clevises to attach the chains to the eye bolts and heavy duty turnbuckles to attach the other end of the chains to the frame clamps, after running them through a heavy duty ring attached to the ground anchors with grade eight 1/2" carriage bolts. The positioning of the anchors in relation to the connection points on the RV provide downward pull to prevent a roll over, an outward angle pull to prevent the RV from being blown sideways, and a forward and back pull to prevent the RV from being pushed forwards or backwards. Very much similar to that of a mobile home's securement to the ground.

Since the RV carport (provided by the state at our host site) is supposedly rated for up to 150 mph winds, I'm counting (hoping) on it staying up in a category 1-2 hurricane. As long as no flying debris hits the front, sides, or rear of our RV I believe it should be able to ride out these category storms with the slide-outs closed up and us (or my wife after I'm gone) safely tucked away in town at her son and daughter in law's concrete block home. Wish us luck in what I believe is a good solid design that cost a total of just shy of $300.00 to complete, with me doing all of the labor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Host Site 3.jpg (213.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Tie down door side front.jpg (229.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Tie down door side rear.jpg (361.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Tie down off door side front.jpg (260.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Tie down off door side rear.jpg (370.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Typical frame bracket attachment assembly.jpg (211.1 KB, 12 views)
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #2

Additional Tie Down photos

Since this site limits you to a max of six downloads per post, here are the last two photos of my tie down system on our 2013 36FB Redwood. They show a detailed view of the chain attachment to the ground anchor, and chain attachment with the double clevise at the front landing gear. As long as the body of the fifth wheel is securely attached to the frame, it should not blow off (leaving the frame behind) in a cat 1-2 storm. A cat 3 or above, I don't think there is any hope for the RV surviving those caliber of winds! I think our weakest link in the overall plan will be the campground office located about twelve foot from the front corner of the door side of our RV. It's not tied down, and will probably blow around in a category two storm. Hopefully away from the RV if it does.

Something else I failed to mention, note the pressure treated wooden boxes surrounding the ground anchors, and the plywood "lids" lying on the ground next to them. In the event we did have to pull the fifth wheel out for repairs,etc. once the chains have been removed, the lids are put into place as a cover that you can drive over. The other notable item is the additional screw jacks placed under the frame rails for additional support. Since we live in one space year round, and I don't like the flexing of the hydraulic jacks on the RV due to temperature changes etc. that can cause bouncing in the unit when one walks through it, or the washer is in spin cycle, I place four addition screw jacks equally spaced along each I-beam on the frame for a more solid foundation.
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #3

Great idea on locking down the fort!

Truly sorry to hear about your illness , I wish you and your wife the very best.

My Mom and Dad are down in Lakeland not far from you and they used to be 5th wheel Rvers . IF there is any thing I can to help please let us know you will be surprised to see how many complete strangers will rally and help out. Last year or the year before the area got a Cat 3 direct hit and Mom and Dad had minimal damage from objects blowing around at there house so I think that's really your only real possible issue now.