Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

Slideout Roof Leak

We came home last night to find the bedroom slideout had leaked. Investigating I found that the screws for the valance above the window were screwed through the roof and the enduribond tape had loosened enough to allow water underneath and then leak down into the interior. To make matters worse there is a soft spot (rot) about 6 in. by 12 in around the area. I’ve been very conscientious I thought checking and maintaining so I’m sick that I missed this. I’ve spoken to an RV roof repair company who said he usually walks away from working on slideouts but said any work would be expensive. My question for the group has anyone had roof repair done on slideouts? Suggestions on where I should have it done? Is this a DIY job?

BTW I think I have enough roof tape on it now that it won’t leak now. Hopefully.
Thanks
rb8921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Team

How old is your unit ? This would fall under the 5 year structural warranty. I had a floor issue in our bedroom slide at 4 years old and Redwood took care of it. I will say however, that even if it is a long tow (for me it was 650 miles each way), schedule it into the factory service center and have it done there. I wouldn't have anybody else do it.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

I've had to replace two slide roofs. The bedroom and the kitchen. Don't let anyone tell you the slide has to come out. Myself and a friend did the both last winter, where we stay in Florida. It takes time ,but not rocket science.

Mark
Old 06-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #4

Thank you both for your response. I have decided to take the middle road and have someone locally (Texas Valley) do the repair. He comes with good recommendations and seems like he knows his business. Won’t be taking out the slideout. Will be replacing a 3 ft section. Price was about what I expected $1300 but I’m making a claim with insurance.