Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Slide Facel Seal Failure?

Took our 36RL in for a minor repair and had it checked over top to bottom. We have been told that the facel seal has failed and moister/water has leaked into our bedroom slide flooring and the floor should be replaced. Any thoughts or advice?
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #2

This forum seems pretty dead.,...?????
Old 06-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
This forum seems pretty dead.,...?????
I'm not sure forum members know how to respond to your first post. Not sure what you mean by the face seal (is it the wiper seal or the "d" bulb seal?) Do you feel soft spots on the floor or do you see any rotting? I learned long ago to ask lots of questions, especially if it is going to cost me money. Did the dealer show you why he says the floor needs to be replaced? Was this an issue when you took it in?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 AM   #4
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
Took our 36RL in for a minor repair and had it checked over top to bottom. We have been told that the facel seal has failed and moister/water has leaked into our bedroom slide flooring and the floor should be replaced. Any thoughts or advice?

First off did they show you the damaged area in the bedroom floor? How did the seal fail? is this repair scam? If this is valid I would assume this repair wouldn't be cheap
Let us know what you find out

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 AM   #5

RW uses real 3/4" plywood for the flooring not partical/OSB so IMHO it would've been a long term extreme leak to completely rot a 3 year old unit. I would have had to been shown whatever it is they are referring to before approving any repairs. Also the bottom of the slide outside has a plastic type coating so IMO any leak had to come from above therefore you would have interior paneling also rotted (it's only1/8" thick) or gel coat delamination outside. As far as repair, the slide floor is only about 30" at the head board & that shouldn't be that difficult to repair as the bed wouldn't be too difficult to remove/replace to make repairs. Personally I don't trust anyone in the rv business, they are there to make a buck ONLY!! GET A SECOND OPINION!!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 AM   #6

One more thing, if you have a washing machine that may be your culprit. On the RL it's known to have issues under the bed. Keep us posted, enquiring minds want know.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #7

Thanks for your replys! We have already been ripped off once and don't intend for it to happen again if we can help it. Our fix this Feb. on our roof was a complete disaster. Guy told us it would be 345.00 to fix the lap seal and when we picked it up handed us a bill for 900.00.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #8

The RV Repair center used the following language to describe the problem. Drivers side front slide out skin is cracked due to water leak at slide out, swinteck slideout and there are screws missing on bedroom slide out swintec. The floor of the slideout is bad and the rollers are falling through the bottom floor. Bedroom floor will need replaced and the swinteck needs repaired and replacing the two drip trays. Swinteck system will need painted to match trailer can't write estimate until I know what all needs to be done.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #9

Hum - the rollers for the bedroom slide-out can be viewed at the foot of the bed and outside under the slide-out. You should be able to determine if you have floor rot by doing an inspection of the floor or have them point out specifically where the rot is located. Repairing the Schwintek motors sounds really suspicious. Basically you have two high torque DC motors (1 each in the upper corners of the slide-out. There is no repairing the motors, they are either bad or could possibly be loose in their mount to the metal channel. There is a set screw that mounts them in place. I don't know what is meant by the statement " Schwintek system will need painted to match trailer"?? It sounds like they want to access them from the outside by removing the slide-out trim pieces with the D-seal. This is one way to access the motors but not the only way. They can also be accessed from the inside of the bedroom by removing the wood side panels on the slide-out.

Are you having problems with the slide moving in and out? You can check most of your slide-out floor by inspecting it from underneath outside. I would first perform my own inspection and if I found something I would look for a second opinion, which was previously mentioned in a post.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:13 AM   #10

It isn't the motors it's the S rails the slideout runs on that they said the screws are sheared off on one rail. I don't know where they have come up with the crack on the slideout because the crack is a stress crack that is under the slide out and I know that Redwood has had problems with this because I read about it before ours happened. They also are putting a gap with seal off vet it to n new ones! They did say something about some drains not being on the slide out. Anyone know what they are referring to? We have covers on our slide out. We noticed a bubble on the outside of the slideout side wall. Perhaps that's what he's referring to? We are going over there tomorrow. Not sure what to do but a second opinion is definitely a good idea.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:14 AM   #11

No problem with it moves in and out fine. Not sure how we could replace those broke off screws.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:49 AM   #12

I see you posted that you will be at the Rally.... any chance Redwood Tech could meet with you and go over a fix for the problems or even do the repairs on site?

Steve
Old 06-03-2016, 02:57 AM   #13

When we've called Redwood about anything they have told us to take it to dealer near us and that includes a call a month ago. They told us the Topeka facility was for warranty work only. Otherwise it would have been there several weeks ago.

If anyone knows otherwise please let us know, but that was from the factory.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:09 AM   #14

If your willing to wait for the Rally you can sign up for the "meet the tech" for 15 minutes free. Might get some answers but any good dealer if you can find one or a good Mobile Tech will give you probably the best solutions.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:09 AM   #15

I'm not aware of any specific drains on the slide-outs other than the way the D-seals and wiper seals are overlapped where they meet. On your S track if your screws are sheared off, you would have to drill new holes and fasten with new screws as the old sheared off screws would likely be in the way. I actually had to perform this type of fix on my front cap on the roof. I discovered I had 5 sheared off screw heads a couple of weeks ago and my cap on the roof had separated.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:12 AM   #16

We will be asking lots of questions tomorrow!
Old 06-03-2016, 05:35 AM   #17
Site Team

Although I've never seen them, but it's my understanding that there were some sort of drain pans on the slides. Redwood had some problems with these because sometimes during construction the techs would cut them to run the wires. This caused water damage to the floor of the slide. The service center was having a real problem with these at one time

As for the screw head breaking off. I had a few of mine break off and the service center was able to remove and replace them. I asked how they did it and I was told that they removed the track and used vice grips. I found by keeping the track lubricated with silicone, this took the extra pressure off of the tracks and screws.

I hope this helps
Old 06-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #18

It sounds like what they were describing. Makes me just sick because Redwood has not stood behind anything on this RV and I think they should if it was factory fault!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:54 AM   #19

We had a leak in the bedroom that was caused by the screws in the S-track being over torqued, stripping the plywood and had let water in. I had to remove all screws and fill holes with silicon, then replace screws. That fixed our leak. our dealer also had to at least double the amount of screws in the track due to many issues with the slides not working properly. Hope this helps you with your issues.
[SIGPIC]
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #20

This is probably also the reason they switched to the cable system rather than the swintec. We were to the RV repair yesterday to access the whole situation. I wish I could attach photos but basically a drain that is at the corner of the bedroom slide that allows water to drain out of your bedroom slide was totally not there. So REDWOOD FAILED to put this piece on our bedroom slide which allowed water to come into the slide and rot the wood. On top of that the screws on the left side of the slide are sheared off. This is going to cost us a fortune. They told is the wall and the floor need to be replaced. They have to take the entire slide off to fix it. We are sick just sick that an RV we have had two years and it's only three years old is this ruined and we thought we were buying quality, but ended up with a lemon due to REDWOOD FACTORY NEGLEGENCE. Check your slides everyone!!!