Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I 100% agree, and in no way was I referring to simple fixes, on issues that relate to vibration problems going down the road. I own 2 Harley Davidsons, and understand this problem very well. I was referring to major problems with my CR that wasn't being fixed, and was being blown off about. My RV had never been towed, except for 20 miles from dealer to my site, and 20 miles back, to be fixed.
This was your response to Dave's initial thread about changing screws because of vibration that sent this thread in a tail spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
^ Is this something we should HAVE to do in a high dollar rig?
So I assume you now believe its OK to add some screws to the fender without calling a lawyer.......
Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
This was your response to Dave's initial thread about changing screws because of vibration that sent this thread in a tail spin

So I assume you now believe its OK to add some screws to the fender without calling a lawyer.......
No, I still think RW should solve the skirt flapping issue. But, I wouldn't call a lawyer over that minor detail. I will, however call mine in a heartbeat over major stuff that RW should fix to start with. I will also, strongly suggest to RW that they should step up to the plate on those screws, if I have the same problem. You might not care to give big money, and not complain to the company, but I definitely will complain, and fight, when I give this kind of money. Do you think we should have to replace cheap screws with bolts on a rig that costs this much?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:04 AM   #23

You keep getting wrapped around what you paid. Maybe yours cost more to you than mine did to me.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #24

Quote:
You keep getting wrapped around what you paid. Maybe yours cost more to you than mine did to me.
They aren't cheap, relatively. If you give whatever thousands of dollars, don't you have an expectation of that amount of quality, or is 1000 spent the same as whatever thousandsK spent? If I buy a 22K Harley, I have a higher expectation of quality/service as I would have on a 8K Honda. If I billed myself as Thor's only "luxury" RV, I would expect that luxury above other Thor products.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #25

good luck with that - That Honda will be a much higher quality than that Harley!! $14K of that Harley money went to the name on the gas tank
Old 06-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #26

Quote:
good luck with that - That Honda will be a much higher quality than that Harley!! $14K of that Harley money went to the name on the gas tank
Apparently you haven't owed a 22k Harley, compared to an 8K Honda, as far as quality/service goes. BTW, quality/service is quality of service. I say again, should we HAVE to do a $100 side skirt flapping fix to a rig we pay good money for? I've owned many lesser priced RV's and have never had a flapping issue.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:31 AM   #27

Apparently, I can see that my redwoodowners site experience is going to be a short lived one. I refuse to lay down, and not hold companies to their own warranties, and quality standards that they claim.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #28
Site Team

I think this has gone far enough

everybody should take a deep breath and settle down. This forum is intended to help each other and respectfully disagree. Lets leave it there.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #29

Jerry, I think we can all agree that we wish quality control was number 1 in the RV industry but unfortunately that is not the case yet. I personally want quality out of any RV I purchase, regardless of the price. Should I expect better quality out of a high end RV than a low end RV? No! I expect the quality of construction to be equal in any RV. What I will say, as many on this forum will, Redwood, so far, has gone above and beyond to try and satisfy their purchasers having issues. You must be persistent and you must contact Redwood with your issues but they will fix most issues without charge to you. Communicate with Redwood when these issues arise and I think you will be glad you purchased a Redwood.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #30

These coaches take considerable abuse driving on our numerous not so well maintained roads and bridges. Even when new our coach had 3000 miles and experienced some minor issues.

However our dealer and RW have always stepped up to the plate and any issue has been resolved quickly and to our complete satisfaction. They even fixed our wheels that had leaked grease on the brakes, which is a problem apparently they could easily have said I caused.

Read the posts on this forum and you will see lots of posts with owners complimenting RW on their customer service and standing up to honour their warranty. So if you have issues, give RW a call, I'll bet they will help get the issues resolved.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Old 06-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #31

I agree with most everything said on both side. I believe if there is an ongoing issue with $5.00 worth of screws I would be happy to pay an additional $15.00 for the price of the coach to have bolts with the additional labor, instead of self tapping screws.

I know on our last trip I noticed one of our fenders that just been replaced by the dealer due to cracking was flapping and this was the first trip after the repair. Several of the screws had fallen out and some were broke off. I always carry a cordless drill, drill bites, tool box and an assortment of screws washer and fasteners. We pulled over at the top of the summit and had 15 minute fix. I would have been pissed if the fender was cracked again.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #32

It's a sad fact that we all know the entire RV industry lacks QC and I see little motivation for the manufacturers to change. They sell these things as fast as they can produce them. Even the higher end Class A's, the ones selling for much more than we spend on our Redwoods have the same attitude, regardless of what you hear from the factories.
I'm in a park workcamping, two other workcampers, one with a Tiffin Allegro Bus, the other with a Winnebago Tour [both in the $300-400 thousand range...they have the same fundamental issues we do with our rigs.
Again, as long as they have no incentive to improve, they won't.

Now, having said this, I see no reason to approach a purchase with an attitude of litigation and I really can't understand why a person who has such a distasteful opinion of the Crossroads Rushmore would purchase a Redwood??? Both coaches are manufactured in the same factory by the same management team and same workers!!! If you are unhappy with the Thor product, why buy another.
The overwhelming majority of people on this forum have a very high opinion of the Redwood brand, it's apparent in the discussions. We all know that these are still RV's and when you purchase an RV you're going to have issues [by the way, when I owned a home I had issues there to], we know we're going to have to fix stuff, that is the beauty of this forum, an avenue for us all to communicate with each other to discuss issues.

JerryL, I'm really sorry you have such a displeasure with the industry and I appreciate that you would like to have a perfect product with no issues. I also understand that you have every right to voice your opinion but quite frankly I really don't care whether you sue Thor, Crossroads or any other RV manufacturer, as for me and I think most others on here, we're happy with our Redwoods.

I will commit to you that I will be glad to discuss any issue you have with your coach or any Redwood product you care to ask questions about but I will not again discuss any issue of imperfection and/or litigation to get what you want.

Finally, I really hope your Redwood is all you expect it to be, so do the rest of us!!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #33

Well said, Chuck.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #34

Just to get back on track, used the JB Weld plastic putty to repair the front screw hole which cracked and was no longer holding anything. Smoothed the putty out, used the broken piece to reform the screw hole, let it dry and sanded it out. Used one of Dave's fixes underneath, used the touch up paint to cover my handiwork and it is rock solid now. I am hoping it holds up now. After moving the small piece forward about two inches and buffing out the paint underneath, nothing should come in contact with each other now. I should have taken some pictures, but didn't think about it.
USN Retired

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Site Team

Have to add one thing ~ first, I applaud Radio Flyer for getting us back but I'm going to divert a bit.

For many years, I sold yachts part time. Not boats, but yachts. I worked for a dealer who sold Carver Yachts and Viking. Neither of these is on the bottom of the food chain in the boat world and in fact Viking is considered by those knowledgeable in the Marine world as probably the finest production boat built.

having said the above, we always counseled our clients that the first season is a teething season. There are so many systems that there will always be things to fix. Our RV's are no different. As Dave said long ago in another thread, if you aren't somewhat handy and don't know what to do with a basic toolbox, RV's and boats aren't for you.

Bob Healey (owner of Viking) once stood at a boat show next to me and had a man ask him how well built his boats were....... he stood there and said " We build them the best we know how, but I'll tell you right now there will be things to fix. I like to think we fix them a little better than the other builders". I firmly believe Redwood is the same..

Oh, and on one last note ~ my other half is an Attorney. Trust me, her telling someone that when we have an issue is the last resort as litigation doesn't solve problems, it is the finality.

And I won't go off topic again on this thread .
Old 06-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
It's a sad fact that we all know the entire RV industry lacks QC and I see little motivation for the manufacturers to change. They sell these things as fast as they can produce them. Even the higher end Class A's, the ones selling for much more than we spend on our Redwoods have the same attitude, regardless of what you hear from the factories.
I'm in a park workcamping, two other workcampers, one with a Tiffin Allegro Bus, the other with a Winnebago Tour [both in the $300-400 thousand range...they have the same fundamental issues we do with our rigs.

Now, having said this, I see no reason to approach a purchase with an attitude of litigation and I really can't understand why a person who has such a distasteful opinion of the Crossroads Rushmore would purchase a Redwood??? Both coaches are manufactured in the same factory by the same management team and same workers!!! If you are unhappy with the Thor product, why buy another.
The overwhelming majority of people on this forum have a very high opinion of the Redwood brand, it's apparent in the discussions. We all know that these are still RV's and when you purchase an RV you're going to have issues [by the way, when I owned a home I had issues there to], we know we're going to have to fix stuff, that is the beauty of this forum, an avenue for us all to communicate with each other to discuss issues.

JerryL, I'm really sorry you have such a displeasure with the industry and I appreciate that you would like to have a perfect product with no issues. I also understand that you have every right to voice your opinion but quite frankly I really don't care whether you sue Thor, Crossroads or any other RV manufacturer, as for me and I think most others on here, we're happy with our Redwoods.

I will commit to you that I will be glad to discuss any issue you have with your coach or any Redwood product you care to ask questions about but I will not again discuss any issue of imperfection and/or litigation to get what you want.

Finally, I really hope your Redwood is all you expect it to be, so do the rest of us!!
Ditto !! And also, don't screw with Atom Ant. He lives in an anthill, wears a helmet, has a super computer, can fly faster than Secret Squirrel, has unbelievable strength and is basically indestructible. Can your lawyer do that ??

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post

I didn't buy a Redwood, I bought a Rushmore, thinking I was getting a quality unit. I didn't purchase with a litigation attitude, I was forced into it. I bought the CR because I loved the look, and thought it would be a good rig. The Redwood is a replacement unit my lawyer worked out, to keep both sides out of court. I really don't think you understand the problems I've had with my CR. Slide cut the kitchen floor(replaced), LR TV quit working(replaced),both AC's tore up(one fixed, one replaced), dump valve not working, black tank ruptured(somewhere above half full), freshwater pump not working, and 4 leaking slides(the leak is so bad in the Bed slide, that I had mold growing under the bed). Dealer kept for 3 months, fixed most issues, but slides still leak, and the dump valve quit, and the black tank ruptured after it got brought back from dealer. I was just trying to explain, with warranty laws, sometimes we have a very good cause to litigate, and hold these manufacturers to quality standards. That being said, I hope my replacement is as good as you guys say. I'm just very leery at this point. It has been a year long nightmare. FTR, it isn't Thor I'm leery of, I've had two wonderful Heartlands before this CR. I sincerely hope CR does good on this Redwood, but they blew me off on the Rushmore, until I hired a lawyer.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #38

FTR, I came to this forum to see what Redwood owners think about their rigs, and to get useful information on the brand. After atom ant kind of called me out, I just sent him a PM to explain where I came from in my CR thoughts. I merely asked a simple question about shouldn't we expect CR to give a little better quality than cheap screws, for the money we give for these rigs, if Dave has such a simple fix? I've bought lesser money rigs, and never had this issue. I did notice my CR has one floppy fender, but for this unit it too late to try any fixes. That is the main reason this thread caught my eye. Hopefully, after my warranty runs out, I can find useful fixes here. But, until the warranty leaves, I will continue to hold any manufacturer to the quality standards they, themselves state that they use. I have had several Thor products, and this is the first bad one. Hopefully, it is just a "one off" problem. I look forward to getting my Redwood, and reading threads here.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #39

I have to go with Dave's earlier post- even though I'm not a moderator somebody has to say it- Enough.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradolivin View Post
hey Jerry, does your momma wipe your ass ??
Ok, enough with this place. Happy travels folks.
Closed Thread