Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Site Team

Smile Service Center Experience

Just wanted to report that we just returned from a visit to the service center in Topeka, In. to have some warranty work done. Ron and his crew are to be commended. They really bend over backwards to get everything right. Randy and his team were all over it as soon as we pulled onto the lot. Make sure the work was done to our satisfaction and got us out much faster than we had planned. Great job guys.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #2

Glad you made it home, and was pleased to meet you. Hoping to pick ours up tomorrow about noon. Got most of it done but not the table.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Site Team

It was a pleasure to meet and talk with you also. Hope you are all fixed up and you are able to enjoy a pretty much trouble free Redwood. As we talked Sunday, there will probably always be some items to fix on any RV. Just hope yours (and ours) remain minor items. Maybe we will run into you again on the road sometime.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Traveling

Service Center Experience: B. Young RV, Milwaukie, OR

In early September, we went to our first warranty service appt at our dealership, B. Young RV.

I just wanted to report that our experience was EXCELLENT. When we made the appointment we made sure they knew we were full timers and they accommodated us perfectly. While we did have to wait about about 6 weeks for the first available appointment, it went quickly and smoothly and as-planned. They pre-ordered parts and pre-authorized the work with RW, and confirmed all was ready before we arrived. We had an early AM appt, and they allowed us to arrive the evening before so we wouldn't have to get snarled in the morning commute traffic through the city.

They allowed us to park in their covered Bay, hooked up to 50 amp while they worked. They told us the work would take 1 day, we assumed it would take longer, it actually ended up taking 2.5 days.

They were attentive, they did as we asked, and they went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. We felt assured that they were working diligently to get our coach finished as quickly as possible. When we left, everything we wanted fixed was fixed. Importantly, the shop supervisor took over an hour AFTER he had clocked out for the night, to chat with us about our coach and give us some help on several items that we were having trouble with. Outstanding. We were very impressed with the generosity of his time.

When the service was completed they went through and carefully demonstrated each and every item and made sure we were content with it.
I don't think anyone could ask for more.

So far, we do not hesitate to recommend them!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #5

TNT, I echo your sentiments; we bought our RL in April 2013, and have had warranty and non warranty work done by B. Young. I'm extremely happy with how we've been treated, the timeliness of their work. Our service rep, Steve has kept us informed by phone and email how the work is going, pickup times, etc without fail. I have asked them several times if they read the forum, but I have only gotten a lukewarm response from him and his boss the service manager Ryan. I get the impression they think we're a bunch of crackpots who don't know about what we speak, and reading it would be a waste of time.

Glad your service work turned out OK, they got us ready to leave for AZ for the winter in great time. Hopefully we'll cross paths soon!

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Traveling

Thanks Jim; I hope we DO cross paths! Every time I am in the area of B. Young and I see a RW in for service I wonder if it might be from my "Forum Family". Yes, I know what you mean about them looking vague when mentioning the forum. I think that they just don't spend much time online, and I think that (In the service dept) are not too interested in "sales". I bet Bruce Young (the owner) would be very interested to know that MANY potential buyers end up on this forum and ask, "Should I buy a RW?" and to rate the various service providers. It makes a HUGE difference. Many RW sales have been made or broken on this forum I suspect! We have NEVVVVVER relied on a sales person to help us make up our mind.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #7

We have tried to get our 2014 Redwood 36fb in for warrantee service three times. Once we were refused service because the dealership was “too busy” even with two months notice. Twice we were accommodated only to find the “parts” were three weeks out even though we had itemized the problems two months ahead of the visit.
We are extremely disappointed with Redwood “warrantee SERVICE”.
pmbrux
pmbrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Traveling

It sounds like maybe it's the service providor you might be having trouble with, am I right? I would contact RW and ask them for a different service company nearest you. I hope you get things taken care of.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #9

It's over three different service providers.
Thanks,
Preston
pmbrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #10

Welcome to all the baby boomers and their rv's

All the more reason for us to learn our systems... and forget about a warranty...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #11

I think it is bad everywhere pmbrux! My friend bought a brand spanking new Alpine, and first time he hooked it to a hydrant water came pouring out of the belly.

6-weeks before they can even get it on the lot, and this was the SELLING DEALER! Sad part is, it is the Dealer I use.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 AM   #12

This is not a Redwood problem, it's the RV industry! All manufacturers have the same problem.

In the auto industry the dealers are heavily influenced by the manufacturers, if a dealer preforms poorly their are repercussions from the manufacturer.

In the RV industry the dealers rule, the manufacturers are at the mercy of the dealer and there is no loyalty between dealers and manufacturers.

So wrong...
Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #13
Site Team

Chuck, I agree but this could be fixed!

If the companies would require dealers to give out survey cards and then sell the RVs to the dealers based on the results of the survey cards.....

That way a good dealer that takes care of the end user, would receive discounts on the following orders. The good dealers would make more money or would be able to "out deal" the bad dealers. Problem solved
Old 10-29-2014, 03:28 AM   #14

You guys make me feel much better about buying used. At least I knew all the problems were mine.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbrux View Post
It's over three different service providers.
Thanks,
Preston
You may have tried 3 separate dealers, but your experience isn't consistent with ours.

At the Rally we were scheduled for an appointment at the service station on the Monday after the Rally. We then visited a dealer in Ontario and they fixed the issue the day we arrived, including getting approval from RW.

On arrival home we dropped the coach off with our dealer on the Friday and by Tuesday it was in the shop being worked on.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Chuck, I agree but this could be fixed!

If the companies would require dealers to give out survey cards and then sell the RVs to the dealers based on the results of the survey cards.....

That way a good dealer that takes care of the end user, would receive discounts on the following orders. The good dealers would make more money or would be able to "out deal" the bad dealers. Problem solved
Dave, I agree 100%!!

IF the manufacturers, ALL the manufacturers [or at least the heavy hitter manufacturers], put pressure on the dealers then things would change.

We can hope!!
Old 10-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #17

I think that this forum is a great place to mention dealers names, good or bad and our experiences, I also think it helps the dealers to stay in touch with this forum
Bill
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Site Team

There was a tread started several months ago for POSITIVE information on dealers. This thread was started to help reward the good dealers and pass on the good names.

This forum is supposed to be a positive yet informative place for information. It would be too easy to bash or pass faulty information on a dealer without allowing the dealer a chance to defend their actions.

Case in point:

There's a dealer in Colorado that some folks have had good service from....however this same dealer has been complained about for lack of service from other owners. What was the defining difference? Was it the attitude of the RV owner or was there unreasonable expectations?
Old 10-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #19
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
You guys make me feel much better about buying used. At least I knew all the problems were mine.
Honestly, this would be my preference every time if I could find all the options I wanted.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #20

I think if manufacturer QC were better, and subpar employees were released, quality would pick up. I think it's a mostly " push it out the door, and hope the warranty ends before major problems happen". If RVs had a mandatory(not government enforced, but customer enforced) 3 year bumper to bumper, like most autos have, quality would go up. I don't blame dealers for manufacturer shortfalls. There are good and bad dealers, but if quality were better, for the money we spend, the dealers would mostly be taken out of the equation.

FTR, I've been in my RW for a month+ straight and have no problems, other than the key that broke off in the stuck latch, and a faulty Bauer NE lock, and a rep has said they are mailing me the new parts. I have zero complaints with RW at this point. I am 100% satisfied with my 36rl.