Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #1

Schwintek Slide Operation

Hi everyone,

There may be some of you who know this already, but I wanted to let everyone know this, because it can save a lot of headaches.

Most Redwoods use a Schwintek slide system on the bedroom slide and slide-in-slide applications. These are easily identified by the "worm gear" on the outside of the slide. These have come under fire a bit over the last few years because their motors were failing. While Schwintek has taken steps to correct the issue, there are some things that everyone should know about this type of slide mechanism regardless.

The main problem with these is the alignment. If the slide box becomes misaligned, it puts a strain on the motor which can cause it to fail. The misalignment is caused by unintentional operator error. When you are operating the bedroom slide(s), remember a few things:

1. When extending and retracting the slide(s), do so ALL the way - don't stop the slide mid-operation.

2. After extending or retracting the slide(s), KEEP HOLDING the slide extend/retract button for 3 seconds after the slide has stopped. This resets the motors and ensures proper alignment.

Now don't feel bad if you didn't know or haven't done this in the past. Most people - myself included - were never told to do this. If you keep it in mind though, it will hopefully save you a headache down the road. (Now obviously this isn't the "cure-all" for slide problems, but it's one thing that will definitely help.)

Happy camping,

Jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
Traveling

{{{APPLAUSE!!}}}
this is exactly the kind of update I was talking about! Thank you!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #3

Fantastic to see some RW representation.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:54 AM   #4

Good info, thanks!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:21 AM   #5

Jeff, there's a case of __________ here with your name on it. I'm serious ... somebody give this guy a raise! One of these a day would great, but please do keep 'em coming at whatever rate they occur to you.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #6

Thank you, Jeff. Great tip.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 AM   #7

My front bedroom Schwintek motor is frozen as we speak and my unit is at the dealer for repairs. We had taken our RW into the La Mesa RV dealer/service center in Tucson about a week ago during our travels and the service manager informed me that they were seeing a lot of problems with the Schwintek motors, which where not only used on the 5th wheels they were selling but also the motorhomes. He informed me that the majority of the problems they have been seeing is the motor set screw is causing problems. Here were the scenarios he mentioned: 1) Motor set screw is to long and it breaks through the casing and shorts out the motor over-time. 2) The motor set screw was tightened to much during the build assembly that it breaks through the casing and shorts out the motor. 3) Motor set screw is too short and eventually the motor loosens and spins in the slide channel. Lastly they also mentioned that misalignment issues can also cause a problem. In fact, they recommended that the Schwintek slides should not be extend unless they unit is fairly level.

He told me they have been working with Schwintek.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #8
Site Team

I've posted before picture of these motors and shown how to get to them. I've removed all the wood trim that hides these little jewels and reassembled the trim with little black cabinet screws that are easily removed. This is why;

I was stuck with my bedroom slide stuck out one day. I decided to see how these things worked because I had already had that motor replaced once at the factory. When I got to the motor I saw a little vent hole on the side. (Keep in mind that the motor would turn on and run a few seconds but then stop) So I squirted a little silicone in the hole and ran it back and fourth a little bit. The motor has worked flawlessly every since.

Now with the screws holding on the trim, I can get to those little motors with the help of my screw gun in about 5 minutes. This may not be a perfect solution for everyone but it sure made my day easier.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #9

My slide is currently stuck out about 3 inches and will not come in or go out because the one side is frozen. Because the slide is stuck in such as strange position it is nearly impossible to reach the motors from the inside. I had to use a rule to just barely reach the rubber seal over the motor for a peek. We tried removing all power from the motors to see if the slide could be pushed in with the help of a couple of guys and unfortunately it did not budge. I'm hoping I never have the problem again because it is a real pain to get to the front closet and the drawers in the bedroom with the slide in. We are looking to go to Alaska the summer of 2015 and I was thinking that I would not want this issue to occur there because I'm not sure I could fix it. I feel comfortable on repair most other issue on the RV but this one would be tough because the only way to currently access it would be from the outside, which is a real mess with the seals and caulking. Anyway I will post the post mortem on the fix.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #10
Site Team

Dean, have you tried to reset the control in the basement? Will the stuck motor run at all?
Old 05-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Dean, have you tried to reset the control in the basement? Will the stuck motor run at all?
Dave,

Please describe how to do the "reset process" to the control in the basement. I have also seen posts about putting the control into a "manual mode". Any idea about how that is done?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #12

Another jewel in the maintenance of these Schwintek Slides, you need to periodically lubricate the worm gears, the best lubricant seems to be a teflon spray.
I had an issue last ear where my slide wouldn't go in completely regardless of how many times I ran it in and out, I had heard of the solution and purchased a can of the lubricant and sprayed all four of the worm gears, when I ran the slide back in the first time it closed completely!!! I was convinced. Here is what was recommended and that I used http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1E7ZS/...=ISLG7T8ZV4TVR
Old 05-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Another jewel in the maintenance of these Schwintek Slides, you need to periodically lubricate the worm gears, the best lubricant seems to be a teflon spray.
I had an issue last ear where my slide wouldn't go in completely regardless of how many times I ran it in and out, I had heard of the solution and purchased a can of the lubricant and sprayed all four of the worm gears, when I ran the slide back in the first time it closed completely!!! I was convinced. Here is what was recommended and that I used http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1E7ZS/...=ISLG7T8ZV4TVR
Everyone should carry a can of this product or any can of teflon based lubricant in "Dads Toolbox". I had the problem of the bedroom slide not closing fully about six months after buying our coach. Brian Emmons (RW customer service manager at the time) recommended the CRC product and it solved the problem for me. I would recommend lubricating the 4 worm gears once a year.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #14

I was told by service center that if slide gets cock-eyed, just run slide in & out about 3" about 3-4 times, that this will re-sync the motors, so far has worked for me if one side doesn't seem to go in as far.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #15

Dave - yes I tried both a controller reset and manual mode for the problematic motor. It did not budge.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
Dan

What is the easiest way to get to the worm gears?

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #17

I found this online manual for the controller to be helpful. Go to page 55.

http://thormotorcoach.com/media/docu...ual-4-2013.pdf
Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I was told by service center that if slide gets cock-eyed, just run slide in & out about 3" about 3-4 times, that this will re-sync the motors, so far has worked for me if one side doesn't seem to go in as far.
Randy at the service center also told me the same thing last fall.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
What is the easiest way to get to the worm gears?
I think what is being referred to as the worm gears are the slide rails with the meander tracks. The motor gear mates to the meander tracks on the slides.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #20

FYI - I had sprayed my slide rails with teflon lube about 2 months ago. I did not lubricate the worm gear on the motors.