Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Roof Replacement/Repair on 36RL

In Oct. 2011 we purchased a 2011 Redwood 36RL which, because it was a "demo" unit was being sold at a significant discount. We accepted the terms that it was being sold without warranty and in our purchase agreement had to acknowledge that condition. We have since learned that our unit was the 3rd one off the RW assembly line. Although we have had many small to medium issues with the unit, I have been able to fix them myself.

Now, we have discovered a major issue . . . the plywood roof sheathing in the area of the bathroom skylight and vent (approx. 8'x6' in area) has developed severe dry rot to the point that any pressure of a hand or foot in that area would puncture the rubber roof membrane. There are no tears in the membrane at this time. Caulking around all roof penetrations in this area has been well maintained. There has been no water leakage in that area. We did have a major leak this winter around the forward A/C unit due to the hold down screws stripping out from the wood ceiling joists but that area is 4' or so down slope from the dry rot area. An RV repair shop here in Florida where we live in the RW 7 mo out of the year feels that the dry rot developed from moisture from the shower penetrating the shower skylight seal or shower wall/ceiling joints. The repair shop says that the entire roof will need to be stripped, the sheathing repaired, and a new rubber membrane installed at a cost of $7,000 to $11,000 and that such repairs would take 2 to 3 weeks.

We would appreciate your thoughts on this repair quote or other options including the possibility of RW factory repair. It is very difficult for us to be out of the RV for 2 to 3 weeks so are leaning toward waiting until May to have it done during the summer while in Maine. The dealer from whom we bought the RW in 2011 sold their dealership to Camping World a few months after we bought the RW. Camping World is not an authorized RW dealer or repair facility and there are no RW dealers in Maine or NH.
mainerovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

There are some companies that specialize in RV Roof Repairs and do a great job.
We had our Roof repaired by RV Armor due to the membrane blowing up in route to Texas. They did a great job and we are very happy with the results.
The cost of these applied coatings is typically lower than a membrane replacement and the warranty is much better than a membrane replacement.
The RV Armor Roof we got has a Transferable Lifetime of the Coach Warranty.

The two major players in the Roof Repair business are RV Armor and RV Flex Armor

Welcome to RV Armor - Home

Rvroof.com, inc. - Online
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #3

If I had to replace my roof , I would also go the RV Armor route ! ! I would not mess around with the original style roof membrane ..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Team

I would only use the RV Armor for the roof as well. I think the roofing systems on the RVs are accidents waiting to happen in most cases.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
But will these 2 companies replace the damaged wood sheeting
Don't they just go over the existing membrane with the new product
Old 01-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #6

One way to find out, call. If I were guessing I'd say they would & would also guess it would be cheaper & better quality than the repairs, prices, & length of repair time you've been quoted.
If I recall they cut/removed the stretched membrane from Robs before spraying & they would on yours as well on the bad area & replacing the piece of decking would be a simple job once the membrane was removed.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #7

Mainerovers, Try Harvey RV in Bangor, 207-990-5081. They were an RW Dealer this past summer as they did some work for us while in that area. Really good Service Department to work with.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #8

Roof Replacement/Repair on 36RL

Thanks for the information on RV Armor and RV Flex Armor! Both appear to be a good alternative to membrane replacement. The RVRoof.com site does show several "before" pictures of rotted plywood sheathing which was in the process of being replaced. We are in Titusville, FL for the winter so either of the RV Roof locations in Palmetto or Glen Cove Springs would be less than 2 1/2 hrs away. Guess we would have to stay in a motel and board the animals while the work is being done. It does not appear that either company services Maine.
Will give both RV Armor and RV Flex Armor calls tomorrow.

One question: Were there any concerns about the added weight (if any) of a sprayed on approach?
mainerovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
But will these 2 companies replace the damaged wood sheeting
Don't they just go over the existing membrane with the new product
Yes, they will do wood sheeting repair and replacement if needed

Old 01-15-2016, 12:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerovers View Post

One question: Were there any concerns about the added weight (if any) of a sprayed on approach?
The applied roof systems add approximately 100 lbs of weight to the rig.

No concerns about the additional weight, just throw a couple of our gold bars out and we are good to go, sure glad we have a lifetime warranty

Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post

No concerns about the additional weight, just throw a couple of our gold bars out and we are good to go, sure glad we have a lifetime warranty
You would have to throw 4 out to get close Let me help you with that......
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:00 AM   #12

My roof is separating from the decking in several places so I need to do something. My 38RL is only 1 year old. What can I expect to spend for an RV Armor roof vs. a replacement of the original material?
smokey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #13

If your Redwood is only a year old, Redwood should cover the replacement cost which ever direction you decide to go.

When I had a roof failure on the road, I went with RV Armor instead of a dealer / mobile tech membrane replacement.
RV Armor sent the quote to Redwood for approval before the work started.
Redwood approved, then I had to pay RV Armor directly and Redwood reimbursed me for the full amount within two weeks.
At the time (about a year ago), my RV Armor Roof job was approx. $5000

Old 09-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #14

RV flex armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
There are some companies that specialize in RV Roof Repairs and do a great job.
We had our Roof repaired by RV Armor due to the membrane blowing up in route to Texas. They did a great job and we are very happy with the results.
The cost of these applied coatings is typically lower than a membrane replacement and the warranty is much better than a membrane replacement.
The RV Armor Roof we got has a Transferable Lifetime of the Coach Warranty.

The two major players in the Roof Repair business are RV Armor and RV Flex Armor

Welcome to RV Armor - Home

Rvroof.com, inc. - Online

We used Rvroof.com when we replaced our roof back in March. They did a great job. They removed both a/c and vents and replace all the dry rot before spraying on the new roof. This type roof is not cheap put well worth it if you plan on keeping your RW.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #15

Hi, John, is this company Rvroof.com located in Florida? We met a guy at the super rv show in Tampa last January, looked like Willie Nelson talked about removing everything of the roof before they apply their roof product, came also with a lifetime warranty. Was impressed with the product.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #16

Good Morning, was looking at an old post of yours about your roof, hope you had good luck in getting repair or replacement done.
Was curious as you mentioned Titusville Fl, were you staying at the Great Outdoors, we also winter there, and are returning this October for 7 months.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
If I had to replace my roof , I would also go the RV Armor route ! ! I would not mess around with the original style roof membrane ..
RV Armor is the best investment I have done to my RV. They have have been back to my house 2 times to deal with issues I just wasn't happy with, in appearance only. The last time they came, they completely went over my roof, and it looks amazing. If anyone can get them, I highly suggest getting the Miller couple as installers, they are great. Jeff and Crystal are their names. I like that RV Armor come to me, when I need anything.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey67 View Post
My roof is separating from the decking in several places so I need to do something. My 38RL is only 1 year old. What can I expect to spend for an RV Armor roof vs. a replacement of the original material?
120.00 per linear foot for RV Armor. 4600 on my 36rl.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #19

RV Roof.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
Hi, John, is this company Rvroof.com located in Florida? We met a guy at the super rv show in Tampa last January, looked like Willie Nelson talked about removing everything of the roof before they apply their roof product, came also with a lifetime warranty. Was impressed with the product.
They are located in Green Cove Springs Florida. It took 2 days to put the new roof on. It does have a life time warranty.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey67 View Post
Do you have any pictures of the separation? I have seen some spots on mine but not sure its that same or not.
Thanks!
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote