Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Roof protectant

So I'm confused... please, no laughing.

I've heard folks say that the only thing needed to keep an Alpha Systems roof membrane in good shape is periodic cleaning. If you go to the Dicor site, they recommend a UV sealer of some type.

Who's correct?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
So I'm confused... please, no laughing.

I've heard folks say that the only thing needed to keep an Alpha Systems roof membrane in good shape is periodic cleaning. If you go to the Dicor site, they recommend a UV sealer of some type.

Who's correct?
OK, first of all, Dicor is not the site you need to go to. You need to go to the Alpha Systems site and it will provide you with the info for your Alpha Ply roof. They have info on how to maintain, what caulk to use and how to repair the Alpha Ply roof. You do not need to put a sealer on the roof, just periodic cleaning . I will try to look the site up and post here. Once you access it, save it in your favorites list for future ref.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #3

Are all model years' roofs the Alpha System? There is nothing in my paperwork that verifies roof manufacturer. In addition, I'm under the impression that an Alpha roof has a tell-tale dimple design on the surface. Mine does not, but it certainly doesn't have the smoothness of an EPDM roof.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #4

Sorry for possibly sending you on a wild goose chase. I just attempted to get the website for Alpha Systems LLC for you and apparently the site no longer gives much info. The alpha ply roof my 2013 31SL has on it has now been replaced by a Superflex material. Not sure the difference but when you click on that, not any real info on maintenance. Shortly after my purchase I went to their site and copied all pertinent info on the Alpha Ply roofing. I tried to scan to my computer so I could send it to you but my printer decided it doesn't want to scan at this time. Basically, it says clean 3-4 times per year and they recommend using non-abrasive household cleaners such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do NOT use any harsh or highly abrasive products.After cleaning be sure to rinse the roof and sidewalls thoroughly to remove soap residue and prevent streaking. DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USEOF THESE PRODUCTS WILLDAMAGE THE MEMBRANE. It does not require periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

Hope this helps

Rick
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Are all model years' roofs the Alpha System? There is nothing in my paperwork that verifies roof manufacturer. In addition, I'm under the impression that an Alpha roof has a tell-tale dimple design on the surface. Mine does not, but it certainly doesn't have the smoothness of an EPDM roof.
Mine does have a kind of dimple in the texture, and it seems a bit harder than prior RV roofs I've had.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Sorry for possibly sending you on a wild goose chase. I just attempted to get the website for Alpha Systems LLC for you and apparently the site no longer gives much info. The alpha ply roof my 2013 31SL has on it has now been replaced by a Superflex material. Not sure the difference but when you click on that, not any real info on maintenance. Shortly after my purchase I went to their site and copied all pertinent info on the Alpha Ply roofing. I tried to scan to my computer so I could send it to you but my printer decided it doesn't want to scan at this time. Basically, it says clean 3-4 times per year and they recommend using non-abrasive household cleaners such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do NOT use any harsh or highly abrasive products.After cleaning be sure to rinse the roof and sidewalls thoroughly to remove soap residue and prevent streaking. DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USEOF THESE PRODUCTS WILLDAMAGE THE MEMBRANE. It does not require periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

Hope this helps

Rick

Try this link:

Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Try this link:

Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC

Hope this helps.
Originally, that is where my info came from, but when I went to it today and clicked on the items listed they come up as an error and not available. Try it and see if it works for you. Maybe it's just my computer.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Originally, that is where my info came from, but when I went to it today and clicked on the items listed they come up as an error and not available. Try it and see if it works for you. Maybe it's just my computer.

I just tried all of the links there. All of them opened except the top link. I was able to save each document that opened.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
I just tried all of the links there. All of them opened except the top link. I was able to save each document that opened.
OK, well maybe it will work for others as well. I just tried again and it comes as an error. I've already copied documents long ago so I'm good. I hope the link you posted works for everyone else. It's good info.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #10

Unfortunately, that link doesn't work for me and I tried to access the info using two different computers. Don't know what's going on but thanks for the cleaning info.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

The cleaning link also came up as "error" but the repair link worked. Thanks for the info.