Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2022, 02:37 PM   #1

Roof leak from speaker

Hello all. I purchased my 2013 31SL about a year ago. Haven’t had any major issues until now. We’ve been down in the keys since Saturday and last night we discovered water dripping from the center speaker that’s in the ceiling. There’s an AC unit above it and it’s the ducted system. I got up on the roof this morning in the drizzle to see if I could pinpoint anything. I removed the plastic shroud and looked for any obvious cracks in the sealant and found a pinhole but not sure if that’s it. The only place there’s water is that speaker. Nothing anywhere else. Anyone had this issue?
Tony97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:36 PM   #2

There are, or used to be, a couple 4" attic vents that the tops were prone to unscrewing & flying away, check those. Those tops can be ordered, but I don't recall from where.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #3

I’m fairly certain it’s coming from somewhere inside or under the AC. I’ve removed the shroud but I can’t find anywhere that would indicate a leak. All the bolts to tighten down the a/c have lap sealant over them so I can’t tighten down the AC anymore without removing the sealant and possibly creating a new leak.
Tony97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #4

There could be multiple places the water is coming from. Could be be gasket under the ac which you probably can’t see 100% of. If it were me, I would start by pulling the speaker out of the ceiling and hopefully you may see where the water is coming from. You may have to pull a light or two also. Yes, a pin hole would do it. You need to be careful if tightening the bolts that hold the ac down to the roof. They have hard spacers that keep you from over compressing the gasket. The gaskets get old and need replaced from time to time. It’s a simple job if that is the issue.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #5

Check the "weep" holes in the corners of the AC mounting base..

I had an issue years ago with another brand fiver where the water was coming from a speaker in the ceiling near the closest AC.. I went onto the roof, removed the shroud and on the corners of the base there was 2 smaller holes to allow water to drain onto the roof.... Used a metal road coat hanger to clear, problem was solved.

Not saying its your problem, but worth looking
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote