Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

It seams that I got a lemon! Every day I find new problems. I keep Brian really busy with all problems, and here is new one and it is a question. Roadside floor slopes the last 12 inches down half inchess, acording to engeneers thats not critical and it could and should be fixed. Understood!, new problem today, trim on left side of the stove pulled away leaving caulk separatedby 1/8 of an inch. Replaced caulk, closer look just to find trim bent and pulled 1/8 of an inch from previous place. We are stationed for duration of winter, any sugestions? Plan to visit company in spring, hope the unit dont fall apart before spring. Has anyone else have as meny problems as I have?
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Site Team

No. Very few minor problems.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8545
It seams that I got a lemon! Every day I find new problems. I keep Brian really busy with all problems, and here is new one and it is a question. Roadside floor slopes the last 12 inches down half inchess, acording to engeneers thats not critical and it could and should be fixed. Understood!, new problem today, trim on left side of the stove pulled away leaving caulk separatedby 1/8 of an inch. Replaced caulk, closer look just to find trim bent and pulled 1/8 of an inch from previous place. We are stationed for duration of winter, any sugestions? Plan to visit company in spring, hope the unit dont fall apart before spring. Has anyone else have as meny problems as I have?

There is no end to the repairs. ours has been in the shop this time since 11-6-12. before this. it was in the shop for approx. three months, including approx. three weeks, when the factory picked it up. in nine months of ownership, we have used this unit a little over three weeks. the rest of the time it is in the shop for repairs or waiting forredwood to decide what to do or who todo it.

Lillyputz
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:

John,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems but I'm sure the company will get it straightened out. They're GREAT to work with and they do great work with a smile. We've all had the small stuff that every RV has and a few larger problems but over all these have been great units and the company has been great to work with. I was one of those with a big problem and the company again fixed me up without complaining.

If you read all the posts on this forum over the last couple of years and you'll see that most are happy although we've all had annoyances. Some folks that complain....well they just aren't ever going to be happy, no matter what the company does for them.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

John,

We have 35 documented issues with our RW34SK. None of these were major, most cosmetic or third party related. That being said I have heard the industry average is over fifty issues so I guess we are OK for now. I would really like to see Thor start a really good ISO quality process. All of the automible companies have quality systems installed and insist their vendors do the same. Unless I am mistaken most vehicles cost less than our RV's. The industry has been ducking the quality issue for too long. It is time they step up.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandon13399
John,

We have 35 documented issues with our RW34SK. None of these were major, most cosmetic or third party related. That being said I have heard the industry average is over fifty issues so I guess we are OK for now. I would really like to see Thor start a really good ISO quality process. All of the automible companies have quality systems installed and insist their vendors do the same. Unless I am mistaken most vehicles cost less than our RV's. The industry has been ducking the quality issue for too long. It is time they step up.
X2
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #7

Yes, minor problems are always present, and so far company has steped up to them, but I am worried that this problem is a bit more then local guys can handle. And even tho we would love to be back in Indiana, right now that trip was not planed. I guess most people think that if you are retired, you have all the time. Oh well, back on "sitting" on my hands! LOL.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, minor problems are always present, and so far company has steped up to them, but I am worried that this problem is a bit more then local guys can handle. And even tho we would love to be back in Indiana, right now that trip was not planed. I guess most people think that if you are retired, you have all the time. Oh well, back on "sitting" on my hands! LOL.
My dad said after he retired that he didn't know how he ever found time to work Call Brain and I'm sure there's someone that can fix the problem in your area, if you're not ship it back to the company
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #9

We are fortunate to have a great dealer here in Tucson, Lazy Days. I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to this dealer, but they have the knowledge and personnel to handle warranty and service repairs.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #10

Having things repaired is not the issue. Receiving the unit in working condition without taking it in time and time again for repairs is the issue. Sure Redwood will repair or Bryan will send you new parts. It is not a matter of being happy when you tow it in for repairs it is that one should not need these kind of repairs in the first place. I will say it this way. Next time you tow your rig to the factory tell them their quality controll sucks. The keep shoving them out the door with the same problems. I never had my last rig in for repairs for anything and I full timed in it for 9 years. When people ask me about my Redwood,and they do, I tell them the truth and advise them to read this forum. Many have come back and said they changed their minds on the purchase after reading THIS forum. Yes,all rigs may have some problrms but please.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac
Having things repaired is not the issue. Receiving the unit in working condition without taking it in time and time again for repairs is the issue. Sure Redwood will repair or Bryan will send you new parts. It is not a matter of being happy when you tow it in for repairs it is that one should not need these kind of repairs in the first place. I will say it this way. Next time you tow your rig to the factory tell them their quality controll sucks. The keep shoving them out the door with the same problems. I never had my last rig in for repairs for anything and I full timed in it for 9 years. When people ask me about my Redwood,and they do, I tell them the truth and advise them to read this forum. Many have come back and said they changed their minds on the purchase after reading THIS forum. Yes,all rigs may have some problrms but please.
Don. You are absolutely right. Some folks would not say Sh*t, even with a mouth full.

Lillyputz
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
par

Quote:

I am on the market for a Redwood and read this forum daily... can you please specify what was your previous rig?

par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Don I understand your frustration. Being a business owner I'm a pretty demanding guy and if anybody has ever seen my unit they know I'm also very picky. But with that said I'm also understanding to the fact that this is a newer company and because of this I got a pretty good deal on the cost of the rig. My unit was only the 810th? unit made and there's a lot to be said about issues with new products. In most cases I wait until a truck manufacture has had a new product out for a couple of years before I buy.

But ....if you follow all the other forums out there you'll see just as many problems if not worse with other brands because they all use the same suppliers. I've been around RVs for the most of my life and Redwood has been the easiest and friendliest company to work out problems with. I will say though that the RV industry had better get all the Q.C. figured out before a over seas company comes in and takes all the business away just like they did in the auto industry in the late 60's. I've talked with all of the upper level RV owners all with the same problems. I think every RV should come with a repair manual and a tool box.

Have I had problems? Yes... but Redwood fixed them with a smile. And yes I had a BIG problem too but they treated me with respect as I did them. In short...if you're not handy don't buy an RV but that goes for boats, air planes and motor cycles as well. The RV is like a relationship.....they take work ....or trade often

Happy Trails

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #14

I'm with Dave on this one if you can't work on one don't buy one they bouncy like hell going down the road and that helps things break!!!!!
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #15

I am aircraft mechanic by trade, I can handle most of the stuff, but there comes a time when you expect your expensive rig to work a bit longer then just until you leave the dealer. Will see if Redwood lives up to promise, I hope they do, its to be seen.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #16

Dave is it possible you work for Redwood and beach guy is your brother? I have only towed my rig 1800 miles. Crap was broken when I picked it up. If I wanted a kit I would buy one. Have a nice GM truck never had to put it togeather or any repairs. Guess I bought a good one. Good thing it does not bounce down the road.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #17

Par...My last rig was an Everest by Keystone.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #18

Go to any RV Forum, even Brand specific Forums and you'll find a small percentage of folks that swear their new unit is the biggest pile of crap they've ever owned and wish they had never traded in there old unit. But for every one of those folks their are plenty of others that are extremely happy and would buy the same new unit again in a heart beat. Remember we're all human, at least I hope we are, and you can not please everyone 100% of the time. I will admit that Redwood could do a better job with quality control, but so could just about every other RV Mfr out there and it's those stupid little things that leave a bad taste in a customer's mouth.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #19

I will second Dave's comments along with those of Michelle & Ann. Redwood is a great company that stands behind their product. However their bottom line could be better with a quality program that includes suppliers as well as internal production.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Dave is it possible you work for Redwood and beach guy is your brother? I have only towed my rig 1800 miles. Crap was broken when I picked it up. If I wanted a kit I would buy one. Have a nice GM truck never had to put it togeather or any repairs. Guess I bought a good one. Good thing it does not bounce down the road.
No Don I don't work for Redwood but I think it'd be a fun job and I don't know the "beach guy" either but I'm looking forward to meeting him some day.

I'm a publisher/founder of a health magazine called "Healthy Cells Magazine". I work with hospitals and other medical professionals in 7 states (soon to be 10) which you can verify on the web pretty easily (www.healthycellsmagazine.com). As for your truck, I can only hope that someday the RV industry can get just as reliable as the auto industry.

I simply LOVE camping and have experienced the pleasure of camping in the ruff of a blizzard in the Rockies in back of a pick-up truck as well as experiencing the luxury of an rv in the forest.

In my job I solve peoples problems and in doing so I have to look at problems from many points of view.
We all want the best built, lowest cost with the least weight and all the luxuries of a brick and mortar home in an RV. And this is simply an impossibility to achieve...so there has to be compromise. Luxury or weight......best built or weight.....luxury or costs. While they strive to deliver what we want, there's going to be problems but a good share of the problems I read about on this forum should have been corrected by the dealerships.

Redwood has done me well and I believe they have an outstanding product......I have no regrets

Edited by: Dave&Ginny

« Storm door | Rumors »