Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 AM   #1
Site Team

Residential Fridge upgrade - advice needed

Well , the time has come. The Nevercold has done me dirty for the last time. Next week it will become a Samsung RF 18 residential.

I need some advice from the more electrical savvy members of this learned group.
I'm thinking of putting in a 2300-2500 watt inverter/charger with a separate AGM battery mounted behind the basement wall and the tieing this into the breaker for the kitchen slide. My thoughts are that this way if we stop for the night and dry camp somewhere I've got not only the fridge but also the tv and coffee pot.
I also have 2 new group 29 Interstate Marine Deep Cycle batts. Would I be better off just to tap into them and feed the kitchen slide ? Or should I just use a 1500 watt inverter and retire so the inverter only powers the fridge outlet ?

Open to all suggestions ! I really only want to do this once. Down the road there may be a generator added, but not sure.

Fridge draws max 10amps on startup

Thanks in advance all !!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #2

Vaughan,

In general, that is what I did. The difference is that I already had the residential package. I added a second inverter to power the TV circuit. I used the same battery bank and daisy chained the 2nd inverter off the 1st.

Using a double pole, double throw switch, I can choose battery power OR shore power for the entertainment slide.

I have attached a pdf of the way I wired the rig.

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Whole house inverter.pdf (80.9 KB, 24 views)
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Ken - many thanks ! I'm thinking I'll add the inverter (2300 watts) and power the slide . Being electrically somewhat challenged, how would that circuit work ? I'm presuming I would still wire in a double throw switch after the panel breaker so that the power could be routed from either shore power or the Inverter ?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

Vaughan,

I would think it would work the same as mine, less the dedicated inverter for the refer. The nice part of the double throw switch is that I can keep my entertainment circuit powered via battery the whole time boondocking, thus I'm not resetting the satellite each time I switch to charge the batteries with the generator.

Mine was easy to do as the circuit for the entertainment center was on the hot side of the inverter. If you notice in my diagram, I just installed a new junction box and routed that 15a circuit, one side to the inverter, the second to the double pole switch.

Hope that helps.

Ken
Old 06-15-2016, 04:07 AM   #5

Here is the easiest way for you to carry out what you want to do. Install an inverter of this quality.

2000 Watt Inverter/Charger - Magnum Energy A Div Of Sensata Technologies ME2012-U - Inverters - Camping World

With this you don't need extra switches and all is automatic.

MAKE SURE THE SHORE POWER IS OFF

Find the circuit / wire that controls the entertainment system from the panel.

Cut the wire and Feed that wire to the AC IN on the inverter.

The other side that goes to the plug for the entertainment system, wire that to the AC OUT side of the inverter.

Then attach the feed from your battery bank.

This unit will detect if you have shore power available. If no AC it will automatically switch to the batteries

HERE IS THE PROBLEM

I would not try to run the coffee machine on an inverter. It will pull the batteries down big time. You should be able to run the fridge and the TV from the same plug as they do not pull 15 amps together.

The inverter is only as powerfull as the amount of batteries you are usung
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #6

Magnum is sure nice, but a bit expensive. I chose an inexpensive, Xantrex, pure sine at Don Rowes, $349.00.

Ken

DonRowe.com: Xantrex 806-1220 PROwatt SW 2000 Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter
Old 06-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #7

Ken

That's about what I'm thinking of getting. Did you talk to anyone there and if so did they sound knowledgeable and good to deal with?

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #8

They were very helpful and knowledgeable. They helped size cables and and in line fuse.

Ken
Old 06-15-2016, 06:02 AM   #9

And they're just down the road from me.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Ken - think I'm going to use the same Xantrex and wire it with a double pole as you did. We don't do much dry camping now but the next thing after sorting out this frig issue will be adding a sat tv system. I hadn't considered the losing the settings and channel memory but that's a great idea. I'll probably make up a decal to go into the slide control space that is a reminder to turn on and off the inverter. Will make a few extras for anyone that wants one. Many thanks.

When you ran the wire from the double pole switch to the inverter did you just put a plug end on II and plug into the GFCI ?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #11

Vaughan,
Yes, most home improvement stores carry replacement heavy appliance cords with plugs and no ends. I don't recall the gauge but I'm sure I would have tried to get 12. From the inverter I ran one to the DPDT switch, the other to a combination switch/outlet. Turns out that I use the outlet frequently for my pancake compressor to air the hitch.

BTW, since the inverters are buried behind the wall in the basement, I also ran an on/off switch (supplied as an option with the inverter). I installed it next to switch/outlet behind the convenience center.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2232.jpg (147.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Thanks for the picture Ken ! And a great idea to run the other lead out from the inverter to an outlet. Not sure I would've thought of that.
The other thing I am going to add is another battery disconnect switch in the feed line for the inverter from the battery bank. When the coach is in storage (which hopefully won't be much longer) I can make sure the inverter is powers down.

I also like the idea of mounting the switch panel on the wall behind the wet bay as I'm into that side whenever the rig is moved and it will be easy to switch the frig to the inverter at the time of getting ready to go.