Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 02:20 AM   #1

Replacing the Micro-Convection oven

Has anyone replaced their microwave/convection oven? We are unhappy with ours. Haven't looked yet, but there are probably brackets buried in there somewhere in the surrounding cabinets. Same with the outlet?

We're thinking about adding a sturdy shelf and then sliding a new unit in.

Any ideas? Thanks.
sheelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
Site Team

It’s a standard over the range mount. You will find 4 screws coming down into the top of the microwave from the cabinet above it.. takes two people, one to hold unit and other to unscrew it. Measure size and especially take a look at how the door hinges. I’m getting ready to replace our Frigidaire with a Whirlpool unit.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #3

Just replaced ours with a LG microwave. After our issues with the Frigidaire convection coming on whenever it wanted to, we just went with a microwave. It is also about 20 lbs lighter. We were able to use existing wall bracket with some minor modification. Original electric hole worked but had to drill 2 new holes in upper cabinet for upper bolts.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:44 AM   #4

Thanks. I can feel the heads of those screws/bolts that come through the cabinet overhead. If they're "standard", is it likely that another unit would match the holes?
sheelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Holes “might “ match. Only way would be to drop the old one, measure the mounting holes pattern, and then go shopping.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:40 AM   #6

I've replaced many residential microwaves in home and unless the replacement is the exact model or at least the same manufacturer, the odds are against you that the holes will be the same. I didn't mind drilling new holes, the new template makes that fairly easy, what I did not want to get into was replacing the wall bracket since our rv' s do not have typical 16 inch center studs. Many manufacturers use the same bracket so I was able to use the original wall bracket.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote