Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 AM   #21

New 38GK, front bedroom only cools 10' from outside temps. Currently 90' and bedroom is 80'. Living room 74'.
Problem somewhere...

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:58 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I replaced one of the LED light fixtures today and had cold air blowing out the hole when I removed it. Checked the cold air returns and same thing. I guess I will be pulling the covers off the air conditioners and fixing the cheap ass foam piece they are still using between the blower and intake
Old 08-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #23

Thought I would take a look at my AC units today and same problem as most here. One was hanging out as you see and other was not even to be found? makes you wonder how RW can make this mistake for so long
Maybe it will be corrected on the 2020 models. Once again it goes back to the person assembling them. Guess they don't give to much training for the job.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (596.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Steve
Same thing. Main unit was good and front one could only find 1 piece of foam. Fixed it with aluminum duct tape. Made a big difference in cooling
Old 08-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #25

Can't wait to get up there tomorrow and check mine!

Hopefully Redwood is seeing this! This is something that could definitely be corrected at the factory with not too much effort. They just may not know it is happening!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #26

Brad
You are right it is a quality control issue that needs to be brought to their attention
Old 08-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Brad
You are right it is a quality control issue that needs to be brought to their attention
I would almost say it is a design error rather than quality control, and I don't think they know it is happening. Production is probably putting them together exactly like the design calls for, it's just not holding up in the field like they thought.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #28

I think this is the reason we had the annoying vibration in our ceiling where the rear A/C is. If we pushed on the ceiling, it would stop. FINALLY (took 2 trips to service) it was repaired. They said it was a design flaw.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:42 AM   #29

Thank you!! My rear foam was completely out. Front was mostly in tact. Sealed them both and noticed a significant increase in air flow.

Photos helped a great deal. Thanks again,

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Can't wait to get up there tomorrow and check mine!

Hopefully Redwood is seeing this! This is something that could definitely be corrected at the factory with not too much effort. They just may not know it is happening!
Just took this whole thread to our head of production and GM. They immediately went out and checked the units currently on the line to make sure that they were ducted properly in the living room, and sealed correctly as well. Though unfortunately it doesn't really help those of you who already have a unit (let me just go ahead and apologize in advance!), hopefully it will help those sold in the future. They have seen the pictures and the issues, and know what to look for. Thank you for the heads up!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post
Just took this whole thread to our head of production and GM. They immediately went out and checked the units currently on the line to make sure that they were ducted properly in the living room, and sealed correctly as well. Though unfortunately it doesn't really help those of you who already have a unit (let me just go ahead and apologize in advance!), hopefully it will help those sold in the future. They have seen the pictures and the issues, and know what to look for. Thank you for the heads up!
I would imagine it looks fine in the factory, the problem arises when they go down the road and it bounces out. The foam needs to be held in with aluminum tape to keep in there from the factory ... Hopefully that's an immediate change!
Thanks for taking this up the ladder Christian!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
I would imagine it looks fine in the factory, the problem arises when they go down the road and it bounces out. The foam needs to be held in with aluminum tape to keep in there from the factory ... Hopefully that's an immediate change!
Thanks for taking this up the ladder Christian!
...Aluminum tape. Seems like a "simple" fix. Got it!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #33

Ya I agree, I think it happens down the road. I keep saying tomorrow! but I'll get on the ladder and check mine tomorrow and take some pics.

And yes thanks for taking that up the "ladder" Christian - both administrative and literally
Old 08-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #34

Christian,
Let me say that your involvement is a huge bonus for us as existing owners as well as prospective buyers. The communication of issues such as this not only validates the repair steps that we as owners are taking, but helps you in reduction of warranty claims and expense.

In my case, my rig is still under warranty but frankly it was easier to pop off the cover, remove a few screws and tape the foam back in place.

It's a win-win for all of us. It shows Redwood's commitment to its customers and prospective customers. Hats off to you and Redwood for opening the line of communication!

Ken
Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #35

Anxious to check ours out to see if that's why we have such a low airflow in our bedroom compared to the living area!!!! Love this group and all the great information that is shared!
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
Dro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #36

Wonder why the separation between the pressure & return boxes was originally foam? And so wondering if using the aluminum tape which seals off the boxes completely does anything negative to the design of the units?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Wonder why the separation between the pressure & return boxes was originally foam? And so wondering if using the aluminum tape which seals off the boxes completely does anything negative to the design of the units?
I guess I will find out if it blows up. It makes a huge difference in cooling.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro67 View Post
Anxious to check ours out to see if that's why we have such a low airflow in our bedroom compared to the living area!!!! Love this group and all the great information that is shared!
It will definitely improve airflow if yours has come apart. You will never get the same flow out of your bedroom vents because the 2 air conditioners are situated over the living area and kitchen. You would need one over the bedroom to have the same flow
Old 08-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #39

In my 36rl I have a thermostat at the bottom of the stairs and one just inside the bedroom door. There is usually a 2 degree difference between them. The problem is with the positioning of the 2 units is the person in the living area is getting cold while the bedroom is still warmer and the air keeps running off the front unit until the bedroom reaches the set temperature. The front unit needs to be moved up closer to the bedroom.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
5th_Time

I was wondering the same. I find it reassuring to have Christian review this fix with the head of production and the GM. Her involvement is a huge benefit for both parties!

Ken