Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Redwood Comunication

I'm putting this is a new thread because I think it deserves it and Andy Cripe deserves it as well.
This is an Update to my call out for Andy to contact me, HE HAS!
We had what I would say is a one hour conversation that I felt was very productive. I conveyed why I felt there was a blood thirsty mentality with the disgruntled crowd.
I was very specific with my personal experiences and I feel he was very sincere with his responses. It wasn't always what a customer wants to hear but it was, I felt honest and sincere!
He gave me his word he is looking into issues and will be contacting me again with his findings.
One thing I found very interesting (as I think he did as well after I brought it up) was they only track issues that have paid claims. Meaning if they have 100 air conditioner failures they paid to replace they see that in a report and look into why so many But ... This to me is BIG, they do not track denied claims, so if they denied claims for 100 light switches because they are a maintenance item not covered they never see it to know they have a problem. Knowing the lack of communication between the dealers and crossroads I think some issues that should be fixed in production get lost and overlooked. These guys run these companies on paper and if there is no report they don't see it ...
I threw out a few ideas as how they could communicate with Redwood owners and I believe they were well received and may make there way in one form or another into their business model.
Anyway wanted to report that I have been contacted and had a good straight up conversation with Andy. At this point there are no answers as he is investigating (as he should) but I believe I was heard and I also believe he cared what I/we said. THANK YOU ANDY CRIPE FOR REACHING OUT!
He didn't have to and is an up and up guy to do so!
Stay tuned!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

This is outstanding news, thank you Yale for advocating on owners behalf. You are certainly one that can give a first hand account of what it is like to be in warranty-hell and what a win/win would look like.
Certainly communication is KEY and can prevent a lot of misunderstanding and distrust. It is interesting that warranty claims that are denied are not reported! Example: If tires kept blowing for no reason, and I went to my service center, I expect my warranty claim would be denied because a tire is a "wear item", yet if it is happening on new tires for no good reason, over and over again, then there is clearly a problem.

Most of all: KUDOS TO REDWOOD for reading the forum, learning of the problem and attempting to solve it. Can't ask for more than that.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:00 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
That is good to hear Yale. I have had great success with redwood on the issues I have had
Old 08-13-2015, 12:25 AM   #4

That's great to post for prospective owners to know that they would/can have a voice on here & can cooly & calmly discuss their concerns. I hope your problems all get resolve to your satisfaction & thanks for the info.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #5

That's fanatastic Yale - I'm glad he could hear from someone that truly had issues. I was beginning to think he didn't believe anyone.

I hope this can turn into an overall better attitude from them, and they can listen to what some of the owners are experiencing.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
That's great to post for prospective owners to know that they would/can have a voice on here & can cooly & calmly discuss their concerns. I hope your problems all get resolve to your satisfaction & thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
That's fanatastic Yale - I'm glad he could hear from someone that truly had issues. I was beginning to think he didn't believe anyone.

I hope this can turn into an overall better attitude from them, and they can listen to what some of the owners are experiencing.
I really tried to point out that I wasn't the only one with issues. I urged him to reach out to customers not dealers for feedback. I do understand that no manufacturer can make everyone happy and told him I didn't think RW owners expected everything to be perfect and always go their way. But when you get a claim denial for no explainable reason and you can't get any answers people get frustrated.
I told him that dealers need to be able to care for customers without worry on slam dunk issues but nothing seems to be slam dunk ... Several examples were used and brought to light that he is looking into. We are to talk again in a few days. This conversation wasn't just about my issues but all RW customers and how they can be better served going forward. I truly and sincerely think they are working to change things for the better going forward. You can't fix yesterday but you can be sure tomorrow is better, I think Andy wants to do that for us All.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 AM   #7

I am just so pleased that this conversation has led to a potentially brighter future for RW owners. I know I will always work to have a two-way conversation and consider all angles whenever possible. Thanks Andy and thanks Yale! And thanks Brad for your insight.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 08-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #8

Theresa, your denial couldn't have come at a better time!

I'm tired of all the stress associated with this and look forward to a week of hunting down ripe Peaches on the western slope with the Redwood starting in the morning and maybe doing some mods while we are out. I still have a compressor installed in my pin box I've never hooked up.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #9

Peaches! Fresh RIPE peaches with heavy cream and a little sugar=heaven on earth. Enjoy Brad!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
I really tried to point out that I wasn't the only one with issues. I urged him to reach out to customers not dealers for feedback. I do understand that no manufacturer can make everyone happy and told him I didn't think RW owners expected everything to be perfect and always go their way. But when you get a claim denial for no explainable reason and you can't get any answers people get frustrated.
I told him that dealers need to be able to care for customers without worry on slam dunk issues but nothing seems to be slam dunk ... Several examples were used and brought to light that he is looking into. We are to talk again in a few days. This conversation wasn't just about my issues but all RW customers and how they can be better served going forward. I truly and sincerely think they are working to change things for the better going forward. You can't fix yesterday but you can be sure tomorrow is better, I think Andy wants to do that for us All.
Yale, thank you!

It sounds like you had a great conversation and I thank you for doing your part representing your fellow RV owners. I think it's wonderful that Andy cared enough to call you, which speaks highly of him. I hope this is a sign that the future will include reasonable responses to warranty and service issues.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #11

Update: I received a very nice email from Redwood and they expressed their regret that our warranty claim was denied and they confirmed that it would be accepted. They also said that they are learning of things they need to improve on FROM US and are glad for the information. They are trying very hard to overcome their weaknesses in this area by learning more about what is happening. I think we can all be greatly encouraged and hopeful by their evident display of sincerity, not just here, but at the rally and to the Redwood Owner's Group. I, for one, am absolutely willing to support them on this. Looking forward, the future looks much brighter when I know that they care, and accept the mistakes they made (we all make them). Thanks everyone involved for a good conversation between the owners and the company. Sometimes, just communicating is all it takes, and we can all do that. If you evaluate people based not so much on their actions, but on their INTENTIONS then you will be better served.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #12

That is excellent news. Thank you for sharing with all of us and reaffirming that Redwood is standing behind its products and customers!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #13
Site Team

I too think the department heads are trying to get this service thing right. They must control costs but still need to take care of things under warranty that go wrong. It is a communication problem and RW to working to get better. One other thing. Was the ability for owners out of warranty to purchase repair parts discussed? Waiting for a dealer to order is a pain and a waste of time.

And by the way, count us in the group that really loves their RW. Just a few minor issues.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #14

Yes, Tracy it is. You and I have both been here long enough to have seen a great improvement in the interaction between owners and Redwood, and I am very optimistic about it. I'm no Pollyanna, I KNOW that not all problems can be solved this way. I do believe though that there are more benefits than pitfalls in having Redwood participate more. I like to think that their curiosity of life after the sale displays a desire for their owners to succeed. Happy owners=successful product. I think they know this.

That said, I will not stand by and allow claims of neglect to be dismissed outright by ANYONE when clearly it happens. Some very decent people can be quietly done a disservice because they don't speak up about it. This might be happening outside of upper managements' awareness, or not, I do not know at this time, but I will always be the one telling it like I see it-GOOD AND BAD. I do not have an agenda to promote Redwood, and certainly not to cause them loss. I have an agenda to be a happy Redwood owner, that's it, simple. Anybody who interferes with that (be it Redwood, or another owner, or a service department!) will likely hear me grumble about it, I admit. But I will knock people down to express my appreciation too, when they get it right.

As Redwood understands, wading into the owner's community isn't always going to be cheering fans, but if they want to learn where their weak areas are: WE ARE THE EXPERTS! Not the dealerships or the service centers! And newsflash: WE WANT a happy outcome, we don't want to be upset. :-) At least I don't.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #15

Oh, and by the way, I have seen some AMAZING design improvement ideas on this forum as well! Redwood might take notice of those too!! :-)

Old 08-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #16

As a lurker for a few months and as a prospective owner, I am happy what I am reading here but still a bit leery.

My wife and I plan on full-timing starting sometime next year and have been seriously considering a 39MB with the butler’s pantry option, 8K axles, disc brakes, non Westlake tires, etc. As a matter of fact until I came here it had been the front runner. We’re also considering Heartland, Luxe and Mobile Suites.

I came to this forum expecting to hear accolades of the Redwood product, warranty & customer service but those seem to be far and few between. I understand no trailer is or will be perfect but do expect the manufacturer to be better than the trailer itself.

In the meantime we are off to Hershey next month in our quest to find the “perfect” fifth wheel I will have a lot of questions to ask the mfgrs reps.

-Jeff
azjeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #17

Welcome Jeff! I can tell you that I predict you will get a lot of feedback on this, and most of it will be "I WOULD BUY MY REDWOOD AGAIN". There will be a few that would not, and indeed we have lost a couple of treasured owners to Motor Homes (You know who you are!!) That being said, I can tell you that WE LOVE our Redwood. Yes, there have been some scratchy spots, and in recent months there have been some growing pains, but I would be lying if I said that I thought they weren't the best out there in the 5th wheel space at this price point. I am hearing very encouraging things coming from the very top of the company and I believe them. We have lived in ours more than a year and still have big smiles on our faces and are SO GLAD we bought it.

They all have a lot of the same components in them, they all are built pretty good... We were deeply interested in the AFTER THE SALE life because that's where it's at. We have not been denied warranty EVER, though we have had to work to get it at times. I feel like their communication system could be better, and I understand they are working on it.

Regardless, do stop in with your questions. MANY knowledgeable people here. We are not all bunch of "Redwood Evangelists" and what you hear will be the truth from the perspective of whomever is telling it to you. It all matters. That's what we did, and we were not disappointed.

GOOD LUCK with your shopping!

Old 08-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeffh View Post
As a lurker for a few months and as a prospective owner, I am happy what I am reading here but still a bit leery.

My wife and I plan on full-timing starting sometime next year and have been seriously considering a 39MB with the butler’s pantry option, 8K axles, disc brakes, non Westlake tires, etc. As a matter of fact until I came here it had been the front runner. We’re also considering Heartland, Luxe and Mobile Suites.

I came to this forum expecting to hear accolades of the Redwood product, warranty & customer service but those seem to be far and few between. I understand no trailer is or will be perfect but do expect the manufacturer to be better than the trailer itself.

In the meantime we are off to Hershey next month in our quest to find the “perfect” fifth wheel I will have a lot of questions to ask the mfgrs reps.

-Jeff
I would ditto what RomanyLife said. I too would buy again, have things been perfect? No, Really are they ever? But always made right by either Redwood or my dealer or a combo of the two. That said dollar for dollar I think it would be hard to find a better fifth wheel. The management team at Redwood are working hard to make Redwood ownership enjoyable. They are growing and as all companies that grow have growing pains but I think they are working through them quickly. I will say this, the management team at Redwood does not hide behind a desk or phone, they are available if needed. Not many manufacturers can say that.
Beyond the coach it's self I would urge you to research the dealer, MANY times they are where most problems begin and unfortunately could care less after the sale no matter the brand you choose.
Have fun at Hershey, there will be a lot to see there and lots to consider. I think it would overwhelm me!
Welcome and thanks for stopping by!
~~Yale
Old 08-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeffh View Post

-Jeff
Hi Jeff,

We were in the same place as you a few months ago. We recently sold our 2013 Cedar Creek to purchase a Redwood. We did a tremendous amount of research, looking for that perfect "home on wheels". In fact, we were close to signing 3 different deals. After seeing the Redwood at the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix, we couldn't get it out of our head. We joined this group to help us make a major decision, who better to ask than these guys! Their input helped us select the right TW, and pointed out some issues in some of the floorplans. Like you, some of the negative comments concerned us, and we posted our concerns. The day after our posting, we received a call from Jim Lazzarino the GM for Redwood. He took the time to discuss every single concern...and the day after his call we ordered our new Redwood 36RL. Since then, we have had a few other conversations, and we always feel 100% better after talking. Some will say...wait until the honeymoon is over, well, I have already been treated better than I was ever treated at Forest River, Cedar Creek!! When you head to PA for the show, sit down and talk to Jim, you'll get honesty. We will have our new RW in a couple weeks, and we will be ready. Thanks to all the knowledge we have been able to gather from this site.
Wish you nothing but the best....
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Update: I received a very nice email from Redwood and they expressed their regret that our warranty claim was denied and they confirmed that it would be accepted. They also said that they are learning of things they need to improve on FROM US and are glad for the information. They are trying very hard to overcome their weaknesses in this area by learning more about what is happening. I think we can all be greatly encouraged and hopeful by their evident display of sincerity, not just here, but at the rally and to the Redwood Owner's Group. I, for one, am absolutely willing to support them on this. Looking forward, the future looks much brighter when I know that they care, and accept the mistakes they made (we all make them). Thanks everyone involved for a good conversation between the owners and the company. Sometimes, just communicating is all it takes, and we can all do that. If you evaluate people based not so much on their actions, but on their INTENTIONS then you will be better served.
that is excellent news for you